Hardware controls for the YM2612.

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by MarkeyJester, Jan 7, 2020.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I sometimes watch a video by a YouTuber named "LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER", he does various electronics on old hardware which are mildly fascinating. Anyways, about two days ago he created a hardware controller for a SEGA Mega Drive:

https://www.lookmumnocomputer.com/projects#/sega-megadrive-synth

Admittedly, I'm not overly interested per-se, and I know a few people have done this before with mild success, though not exactly at this scale, but I thought some of you might find it interesting at least~

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Ravenfreak, CreepyMystery and Devon like this.
  2. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I just posted this video the other day!

I've been really invested in his massive Gameboy Megamachine which is pretty much a wall of 48 Gameboys that can create immense sounds. I'm fascinated by people who have the ability to create and manipulate technology in weird and interesting ways, which is one reason I'm studying to become an electrical engineer.

I'm curious how easy or hard it would be to translate FM patches to knob positions and vise versa.

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Would you have by chance posted the video in the General Video topic?

If so, then for some reason the video embed had no preview icon, and attempting to play reveals an error message with the supposed video ID, I tried to put the video ID in a proper YouTube link to watch on-site just now, but it keeps on coming up as "Video unavailable". If this is it, then that's why I never saw you post it d=

ProjectFM likes this.
  4. ProjectFM

You're certainly right. I got the link from the mobile version of youtube, and it turns out that link is in a different format. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edit: The problem was that I forgot if the media url thing worked with Youtube, because I knew it didn't work with Soundcloud. It turns it out it worked perfectly fine and I just didn't trust it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  5. ProjectFM

I can't believe how much freedom editing the sounds in real time gave him. Imagine if every Genesis game sounded like this.