Sonic 1 Rerun - Second Public Release

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by chobocoda, Feb 19, 2020.

1. chobocoda

chobocoda Newcomer Trialist

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hello everybody, this is my ROM hack I've been working on for 1 year now. This ROM hack is called Sonic 1 Rerun (used to be called Sonic 1 Untitled). It's basically meant to be similar to the original Sonic 1 but modify the levels, graphics, music and ASM! The ROM Hack was originally going to be an expansion on Sonic 1 but evolved in to a new adventure for Sonic.
    It brings the ordinary moves for Sonic as well, like the Spindash (but very speedy). As well as the Jumpdash. You also have infinite lives.

Thanks to DualPCM by MarkeyJester, the music is powered by the new samples.

-- PLEASE NOTE --

This ROM hack is NOT finished. There are still some touch ups I have to do, though if you find any issues please post it on this thread. So please don't complain if there are levels skipped, they aren't finished fully. You are free to play them through the level select.

--CREDITS--

DualPCM by MarkeyJester
    mid2smps by ValleyBell
    SMPS converter by ValleyBell
    Tutorials on SSRG (don't want to list everyone)
    Tutorials on Sonic Retro (again don't want to list everyone)
    SonED2 by HeadCannon
    SonLVL by MainMemory
    SonMapEd by Xenowhirl
    SonPLN by MainMemory

EDIT: New version released, followed criticism. Please, any Youtubers (Razor and Zenon e.g) don't play this again because there are barely any differences in this one just 2 new acts and bug fixes.

EDIT: This is discontinued now. It's a terrible ROM hack. I regret making it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

Trash this please

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  3. Tanman Tanner

Tanman Tanner Well-Known Member Member

Not bad at all for a first ROM hack. I do think you should modify the palette of Spring Yard Zone, as the blue sky doesn't fit well with the mountains. Other than that, again, not bad at all for a first ROM Hack. It's pretty good looking.
    EDIT: Try a dark blue background with some slightly brighter blues. That's what I did for my Spring Yard Zone. But yeah, try similar shades of a similar color, as that worked pretty well for me. Just a suggestion.

4. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

So I've played your "Second Release" and even though it's a great start for a hack, I noticed there could be room for some improvement. I'm not annoyed with you anyhow.

Music issues: you little remixes to the default Sonic 1 OST is amazing, but it's the conversion from other games. Your first act "Totem Hills" music seems to resemble "Azure Lake" from Sonic 3, while it's sort of good, the keys tend to loosen off with the DAC. Are you sure you're using the right SMPS Converter version? There are two versions of it: the old 2011 that attempts to mostly port Sonic 3 music but doesn't do it well or the latest 2015 SMPSConv which fully ports Sonic 3 music and other Genesis music fluently (well not all the time). And the Sonic 2 music included, is this ported from SMPSConv or used from a different source? Just wondering.

Spindash: the spindash is broken, too broken in my opinion. One-click and it shoots you off without noticing the most important bits in the level such as gaining rings and new routes. I know you have been up to the camera steps in part 1 of the SCHG: spindash tutorial. But didn't you try porting the art to Sonic 1? It gets easy once you're used to this.

Jumpdash: the jump dash gains a bit of height for some reason and doesn't bounce up when hitting monitors or enemies and also, I can spam the jump dash, making it broken, again.

The level and special stages design are still good and also keep that annoying gimmick where Sonic bangs on the wall and gets hurt, just like the Nick Arcade Prototype for Sonic 2. Once you fix these sorts of issues, then for a starter like you, can make more of your hack. I have my doubts about your ROM hacking skills in the future.

5. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

The physics feel... Broken? Like the running feels too fast, and when jumping, I feel like I lose a lot of my momentum. Also while the S2 Beta tripping can work, currently you need to bump the minimum speed way up, basic running speed should not trigger it. Also, the jumpdash feels pointless, and it has been for a long time. The Sonic CD camera is just nauseating.
    Also, why does Sonic only have like 3 shades of a gross greenish blue? I didn't notice anything using palette line 1 that would need the extra colours, so why?
    This doesn't exactly feel like a years worth of work. It's a good start on a newbie level, and has promise, but it needs far far more work and effort.

6. penPhobic

penPhobic Everything's all topsy-turvy now. Member

Not playing this hack because it's just low effort to me like every single hack out there is nothing, but palette changes, ported music are overused or poorly made (Sonic 3 soundtrack for example), level layouts that don't make sense, put jumpdash in hacks because everything is better with said abilty. I just don't get how jumpdash doesn't work in classic Sonic hacks.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  7. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

So, I've played this hack for a bit today, and I'll drop my thoughts in here.
    For a first hack, it's not too bad. There is some potential, but a lot of things feel a bit out of place. Quite a few level chunks don't connect together properly, and some of the art edits are a bit.. well, strange is probably the best word to use. The music ports aren't too great, and I actually really didn't feel too motivated to play passed the Green Hill Zone edit due to the broken Azure Lake port, but muted the track and carried on anyway. Not much else to say really, other than I think you would benefit from applying effort to specific areas gradually.

Wow. No-one asked you to play the hack, and you also say every hack is made with low effort.. I mean, that's incredibly disrespectful to the community as a whole, too. Also, I disagree completely with the jump dash idea; putting jump dash in a hack should only be done if the hack warrants its use. Putting it in 'just because' doesn't make any sense. Then again, you do say that the jump dash doesn't work in classic Sonic hacks and I agree with you... I wonder why?

8. Tanman Tanner

After playing around a bit in it, I don't quite agree 100% with Iso Kilo's view on the physics feeling broken, but I understand why. The jump dash is a bit... off. It honestly feels very similar to one I found from the free assets thread a while ago but updated a bit. The spindash can actually send you through walls in say, Calm City, and I did not check if it was actually due to a lack of collision. The Sonic 2 Beta's knockback animation for going too fast into a wall does somewhat annoy me, but it's a creative addition.
    Other than that, I stand by my original statement that for a first ROM Hack, it's not bad.

9. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Promising? This? I'm sorry, but I disagree completely. Unless someone convince me I'm wrong, this hack made me remember at least one of those Team Overload's hacks we seen sometime ago. Physics are very broken, almost all the SMPSes are poorly made and the leaping animation (with a bizarre smile. :p) in the spring animation was a very bad idea. The palettes also needs a vast improvement and the chunks needs revision, especially if you look deeply on how they have some collision flaws and looks misplaced in some parts. The level design is the only decent thing on this project. I'm not wanting to make you feel dismotivated, but definitely I can't tell this is good when I think it isn't. I hope you follow the councils that are being given here, so you'll be able to improve accross the time. Good luck.

ProjectFM and diablo666 like this.
  10. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

I played the entirety of this hack, and I can not say anything good about it. Most of the changes made me feel things that ranged from "it's okay, I guess" to "gross".

I will start by speaking about the level design.
    Most of it feels way too close to the source material. Of course, you acknowledged this, but what has been changed is bland at its best and bad at its worst. There's a lot of cutoff chunks, and the levels generally feel uncreative.
    Also, I don't know if 3rd acts are just unfinished or if you want them to contain only the boss, but if the case is the latter, then placing Sonic at the end of the level and making the rest of the level unaccessible is a really cheap way to do it.
    Moreover, I don't understand why all the blocks in the Special Stages were replaced by those red and white circles. What's wrong with the blocks? The circles look boring after a while! Give those stages a bit more of variety!

Also, was Night Hill Zone really necessary? There is already another "Hill" zone in the game, so why have another?

Now, the art.
    The background art looks really boring, and the changes made to Sonic's artwork are bad. The braking animation doesn't feel right, Sonic's sprite gets split in two parts when he looks up and what the hell is that spring sprite. Sonic's long mouth makes him look really creepy, and does not match with Sonic's look at all.

The music was also bad.
    I don't mind songs being ported from other games but please at least make them sound good! Azure Lake's music feels off-sync, and I think some channels might be missing. The new samples... They're okay, I guess? I do wish they were accompanied by actually new music.

And now that I'm done with the rest, let me speak about the physics.

WHAT even happened to the physics!? You can't short-hop anymore, braking is so ineffective that it is pretty much no longer an option, making Sonic much more slippery than he needs to be, and Sonic moves slightly even when you jump from flat surfaces. And that's just the base game's physics!
    If you really have to use Sonic's rolling animation for the Spin Dash, at least don't make it restart when I mash the jump buttons. It looks really jarring. And even then the Spin Dash itself is Sonic Generations levels of over-powered, and I really dislike that.
    I never really liked the Jump Dash as a move for 2D Sonic, but what I also don't like is how it was implemented. You can spam it. Meaning that you can turn direction in the air in 1 frame multiple times and at top speeds. At least the Jump Dash's speed is capped, so it's not overpowered.
    The one good thing about the physics is the way that Sonic 2 Beta's "colliding into walls" was implemented. While I personally don't like it as a concept, I have to give you credit for that one.

There are also other things wrong with the hack. I do not have the slightest idea on how the rotation speed in the Special Stages is supposed to work, and I also don't understand why the Time Bonus (and only the Time Bonus) awards you 10 times more points than it's supposed to.

Overall, this hack is a really unpolished and unfinished mess. And I feel sorry to say this considering that you say you worked on this for a year, but if you want to produce a work with quality in it, it will take you a REALLY long time at your current pace. And "some touch-ups" are definitely not going to be enough. So if you want to make a good hack, you better start learning more seriously how to.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  11. Tanman Tanner

Though this might not be the place for it, I wouldn't mind getting you set up with smps2asm for your DualPCM (though I'll have to look into it) and a functioning Sonic 2 Spindash / Altered CD Peelout (works kinda like Spindash in time needed to charge up) (although it'll overwrite your art, unless you edit it the way I put it in), chobocoda.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  12. PokeTogeKiss

PokeTogeKiss That one plonker who draws green hedgehogs. Member

I think that it has potential, but it has some flaws. I won't go over the stuff mentioned above, but I think that the levels can have more original art (I can provide, if you wish.). Still, has potential!