Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Kurk

Kurk Oh Yeah Member

If you use the S3K option in smpsconv, you can convert smz and smy files. It’s probably better to convert the smps files by hand. There’s a tutorial on here about converting by hand so you should look at that.

2. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

It gives me a "Invalid String" error with the s3k string via SMPSConv. Are you sure this worked with you?

3. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

I was able to import the title screen ripple effect from Sonic 2 into my Sonic 1 title sreen.

Something both simple and complicated.

Everything works great but I'm not sure how this code works to incorporate it into a level deformation. Can someone tell me more?

Here is the modified code for Sonic 1:

Code:
    Deform_Title:
            move.w    (v_bgscreenposy).w,(v_bgscrposy_dup).w
            addq.w    #1,(v_screenposx).w
            move.w    (v_screenposx).w,d2
            neg.w    d2
            asr.w    #2,d2
            lea    (v_hscrolltablebuffer).w,a1
            moveq    #0,d0

move.w    #$A0,d1 ; numbers of line for the scrolling BG
    loc_01:   
            move.l    d0,(a1)+
            dbf    d1,loc_01

move.w    d2,d0

move.w    #$1E,d1 ; numbers of line for ripple data
    loc_02:
            move.l    d0,(a1)+
            dbf    d1,loc_02

move.w    d0,d3
            move.b    (v_vbla_count+3).w,d1
            andi.w    #7,d1
            bne.s    loc_03
            subq.w    #1,(v_bgscroll_buffer).w
    loc_03:   
            move.w    (v_bgscroll_buffer).w,d1
            andi.w    #$1F,d1
            lea        SwScrl_RippleData(pc),a2
            lea        (a2,d1.w),a2

move.w    #$20,d1 ; WTF ; $40
    loc_04:
            move.b    (a2)+,d0
            ext.w    d0
            add.w    d3,d0
            move.l    d0,(a1)+
            dbf    d1,loc_04   
            rts
    ; End of function Deform_TitleScreen 
    ; ===========================================================================
    ; horizontal offsets for the water rippling effect
    ; byte_C682:
    SwScrl_RippleData:
        dc.b   1,  2,  1,  3,  1,  2,  2,  1,  2,  3,  1,  2,  1,  2,  0,  0; 16
        dc.b   2,  0,  3,  2,  2,  3,  2,  2,  1,  3,  0,  0,  1,  0,  1,  3; 32
        dc.b   1,  2,  1,  3,  1,  2,  2,  1,  2,  3,  1,  2,  1,  2,  0,  0; 48
        dc.b   2,  0,  3,  2,  2,  3,  2,  2,  1,  3,  0,  0,  1,  0,  1,  3; 64
        dc.b   1,  2    ; 66

4. DeltaWooloo

The Sonic and Knuckles invincibility in Sonic 1 is slower than usual. Is there a way to make it sound like the original since it happened with Sonic 1 Remastered?

5. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

Do you mean your ported the music? You gave us no details so its difficult to suggest a fix. Sonic 1 uses different tempo method to S3K, so maybe its related to that? When you ask a question, please give as much relevant information as possible, as we can't really guess what you're talking about.

6. DeltaWooloo

Specifically, I used SMPSConv to convert the music to Sonic 1. Then when I played it, it was slower than usual comparing to Sonic 3's invincibility. I want to know how can I fix the tempo of the music so it matches to the original.

7. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

If, unlike what you wanted to do in your other post, you decided to use the standard Sonic 1 driver, then you must be prepared to know that the tempos available with the Sonic 1 driver are granular, and it's quite possible that the tempo you're looking for is actually unavailable.

You can try to hex edit one of the bytes in the SMPS header to see if one of the other available tempos sounds better to you, but I won't tell you which byte. Ok, this is for "basic questions and answers", but now you're not even trying, this isn't a basic question, you type "how do I change the tempo of a song", I read "I can't read the Sonic Retro Wiki".

8. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

This could help. But when the step to change the tempos that exist come, just don't edit the song you converted.

9. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

*totally ignored*
    xD

10. Stampy599

Stampy599 Newcomer Trialist

When people think about sonic the hedgehog hacking recources one of the first things that comes to mind is soned2. I have tried to use the engine but I am having issues with the loops. When sonic gets to the top instead of switching layers and going to the other side he just runs off it and falls. Does anybody else have this issue, and if so how can I fix it?

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

In the chunk list, you will come across a loop chunk, the next chunk after that is another loop chunk which looks identical, but it has different collision (the other half of the loop).

You will place the FIRST chunk into the layout, then with the mouse hovered over that chunk you've just placed, press the space bar to increase it's ID by +80. When the chunk is +80, the software/subroutines will be indicated to know that this chunk is eligible for being switched with the other chunk as Sonic runs through it.

TheInvisibleSun and Misinko like this.
  12. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

SonLVL will draw a yellow border around chunks that are marked as loops, and you can double click to toggle it.
    That is, unless you're talking about Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, or Sonic 1 with the Project 128 patch, in which case you need to add path swapper objects to the top middle of the loop to make them work.

ProjectFM likes this.
  13. Tanman Tanner

Tanman Tanner Well-Known Member Member

It's been a while since I've asked any questions regarding Sonic 2 on SMS, but how were loops handled in Sonic 2 SMS? I don't think Sonic 2 SMS was advanced enough to have pathswapping objects or anything like that, so I have to wonder: were the loops hardcoded in?
    EDIT: By loops, I'm referring to the loops Sonic went through, not ASM loops.

14. DeltaWooloo

Some of Sonic's animation freezes at a few points. Some are due to Laybrinth's waterfall or Spring Yard Zone's slopes. It cannot allow me to do a spindash or peelout, I tried using MarkeyJester's tutorial for extending the animation limit but it wouldn't work. Is there a fix to this?

Hivebrain code only

15. Tanman Tanner

I never had this issue with Hivebrain before, and I had spindashing added. Do you have additional animation frames outside of Sonic spindashing?

16. DeltaWooloo

I do, actually. The peelout animation for all angles and super sonic

17. Tanman Tanner

You could of hit the animation limit, as you said, but I need to know what animation exactly Sonic is in. Is it the default standing animation?

18. DeltaWooloo

Yes, but the inability to Spindash or peelout. I can tell by sonic sliding labyrinth waterfall animations frames which only ran for one frame rather than two. Sonic walking/running animation can sometimes freeze after slopes. And no, it's not because of animation limit since I used Sonic 3 sprites and animations and had no issues.

19. DeltaWooloo

So I ported Sonic 2 options to Sonic 1, but there is an issue. With Fusion, it works:
    Screenshot 2020-03-14 at 11.43.08.png
    But with BlastEM, this happens:
    Screenshot 2020-03-14 at 11.43.54.png
    And the issue has to do with "Menuscreen_options:"
    Screenshot 2020-03-14 at 11.44.21.png
    But I don't see to fully understand the fix. This also suffered from issues when porting options to Sonic 1 such as the old versions of Sonic Megamix (2006-2.0). Is there some sort of RAM error that real hardware cannot handle?

20. Stampy599

Stampy599 Newcomer Trialist

so would space bar do anything else? I mean would it affect other objects?