Kim Possible mod for Sonic Mania (Plus Compatible)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Speems, May 2, 2020.

1. Speems

Speems Well-Known Member Member

Hey, I hope this works for my first submission. It's nothing special, but personally not too bad for my efforts. Basically I replaced Sonic with Kim and also swapped out plenty of tunes, a couple sounds, and even a small color change for the menus using Mania Hex (https://gamebanana.com/tools/6540). There might still be plans for replacing Tails with Ron, as well as including respective show villains, and any other types of modifications to misc. sprites and zones.

DOWNLOAD:
    https://gamebanana.com/skins/175828

Trickster likes this.
  2. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

3. Speems

Terribly sorry! I can take care of this.

Mod Name: Kim Possible

Mod Description: So here's the sitch: Kim Possible has managed to track Dr. Drakken to an odd world thanks to his diabolic intentions of the Phantom Ruby. Now she's gonna have to make it through a whole new dimension to make it out alive.

Mod Details: The spritesheet of Sonic has been greatly edited to replace him with Kim. Super sprites are changed to reflect the character as well, although one animation wasn't changed (the I'm waiting animation in her super state). Zone layout is mostly the same, although most mentions of Sonic are edited to reflect Kim. Music has also changed, with most tunes being the boss fights, menus, and special music. They are all Adam Berry compositions although the mod does mention credit for the other songs used (Call Me Beep Me for the title screen, Could It Be for credits, Naked Mole Rap for Time Attack and Competition, and Say The Word for the super music.) I feel like a fool for not doing the Drakken sprites, but I can hopefully get to that at some point.

Tools Used: Photoshop CS6 (Adobe), Audacity, and Mania Hex (zalac169).

Download Link to Mod: https://gamebanana.com/skins/175828

Screenshots:
    screen6.png screen5.png screen4.png screen3.png screen2.png screen1.png

4. Trickster

Trickster Well-Known Member Member

I never thought someone would make a mod like this. Great job!
    Although, SSRG is more dedicaded to mega drive hacking and such, which absolutely explains why this post didn't have much engagement.
    You could post this in https://gamebanana.com/ there's tons and tons of Sonic mania mods there, they will definitelly like this one.

EDIT: you already did this, sorry
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  5. Hitaxas

Hitaxas Retro 80's themed Paladins Twich streamer Member

I know this is old, but I don't see any constructive criticism here, so I will give some; there could be improvements made.

For starters, why the change to her pants? It seems odd, and it appears there are transparent pixels on them. Looking at the original sprites on The Spriters Resource, it seems they only used 12 colors in total, which would made them completely viable, both in Mania and even in ROM hacks of the original games.

Second, the headshot shown for the time attack screen, the image reduction looks just bad. It could be improved upon easily, as I did here. This is only using 16 colors:
    [​IMG]

I wasn't able to track down the exact image you used, but I think this serves as a decent example.

DeltaWooloo and TheInvisibleSun like this.
  6. Speems

Funny how you mention the pants. This was a side effect due to how I initially implemented the sprites. The palette in the GIF files weren't adjusted for the new colors, and it makes the pants look monochrome as a direct result. My master Photoshop file for the new raw sprites had untouched colors, which makes this even more odd. Fortunately while I was porting her to Sonic 3 A.I.R., I managed to fix her colors in Photoshop's color tables of the files. Same goes for the Time Attack headshot (its colors suffered way worse than the primary sprites). I'm currently repairing the mod so the colors are properly presented without breaking the other colors, so expect the proper colors to be restored sometime soon. Oh and the headshot I did use came from a random Mugen spritesheet for Kim, definitely gonna replace it with the new one provided. Thanks for letting me know! ;)