KC's Sonic 1 Revamped - Unfinished and Cancelled

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Deactivated Account, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

Hello everyone, after 8 years of activity, I have decided to launch my hack. It is unfinished and stable to play.

Story: Eggman is believed to be planning on taking over the South Island and the Emeralds, but since Eggman doesn't have enough resources this time around, he sent a Metal Sonic to take over the Emeralds and take over the world. As Eggman takes refuge in his lair, Metal Sonic tries to kill Sonic and everything in his path, Eggman will control and watch Metal Sonic's every step to ruin the landscape and take over the South Island and the world.

The hack contains the same moves, just added Spindash, new background arts, new LZ art, and new Sonic sprites.
    Dynamic Palletes.
    This hack is notable for the music, something never seen before, music from different games never heard before.
    Extended music playlist from E5 to FF, you can listen to all the music. Warning: due to a bug, you must use savestate to play the music.

Some photos about the areas:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Zones are stable to play, the level selection is accessible.
    Unfortunately, there is no more information on this hack, but it is stable.
    Finally the download link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3a5vcl21hybkm0y/KC%27s_Sonic_1_Revamped_%28Unfinished_and_Cancelled%2910.17.20.bin/file

Tools used in this hack:
    SonED2 by Stealth.
    SonLVL from MainMemory.
    MID2SMPS by ValleyBell.
    FL Studio 12 to create midis.
    Winjammer Pro to edit the loops and the controller.
    SonMapEd from Xenowhirl to edit and import the Sonic sprite. Crabmeat, Buzzbomber and Metal Sonic sprites.
    Sonic 1 disassembly by Hivebrain.

Credits:
    KCEXE: Main director of the hack. Sonic sprites and some music.
    Mr. Joker27 Productions: Level design, music, beta tester.
    Dynamic Palletes by PsychoSk8r.
    Sonic 2 Clone driver by Clownacy.
    SplicerFusion (Map layout, former)
    GSonic15 (Enemy art, misc)
    Valentin the Fox (Level art, LZ and SLZ)
    Special thanks to GalliumGrant and Schwa
    And the SSRG team to help me with the tutorials and utilities.

This is my last post because I don't have time to get on with the trick, thank you all here for your criticism and comments. It was a pleasant stay here with yours and thank you for everything.

PS: for an HQ music, I suggest using Kega Fusion or ReGen. In Bionic Base zone Act 3, there is a hidden button and a secret passage if you want to skip the level. I won't say where it is exactly, you have to find it yourself.
    Greetings and enjoy it.
    Mr. Joker27 Productions.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  2. Tanman Tanner

Tanman Tanner Well-Known Member Member

Good luck in life, Joker, if this is your last post here altogether (as I'm interpreting it).

3. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

I'm sorry this is your last post on this forum...
    Good luck to all!

Deactivated Account likes this.
  4. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

I have bug tested this hack a few months ago, and seeing how good the music and level art is. I may as well do a critical review.

This hack, as far as I'm aware, has been in the works for a while by KCEXE and he told me he gave his hack to DJ. joker27 in 2013. So not a lot has changed comparing to the screenshots seen in 2011. If you cannot find them, go here. This was made though the Sonic 1 Hacking Studio as KCEXE told me, but unlike other cheap hacks I've seen which uses the app, this one wipes their ass out of existance.

This is a bug with Sonic 1 if you extended the playlist. You should've looked at this.

https://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_Ho...ossible_problems_with_sound_effects_and_songs

This fixes the bug with the extended music index from $E5 to $FF.

Besides that, let's get into the hack!

The art is glorious and I've seen the amount of work KCEXE has put into it. I see that you have used new songs from Mega Drive games such as Batman and Robin, Super Fantasy Zone and some originals. Some are vgm ports while some are remixes which is something I'd like to listen to with a cup of tea. I really think a few don't quite fit the level well especially Labyrinth and the title screen (due to how long the music lasts). The level design is spot on and feel likes Sonic 3 and Knuckles due to it having linear and platfroming stages, my only concern is some levels feel too short and I wish it could be expanded and some are unchanged. The bosses and badniks didn't change besides art which was disappointing. I would've expected a Metal Sonic fight like in Sonic 2 or a race similar to Sonic CD.

Overall, a really nice hack. I'll give props to KCEXE and Dj. Joker27 for their efforts into making this possible. Sad to see the hack cancelled though, wish it could continue on but oh well.

And I wish you luck in the future, Joker. Hope you see you again soon!

5. Deactivated Account

The LZ music is an atmospheric style. Thanks equal, but I will leave the hack there, I haven't time for follow with this.

6. KCEXE

KCEXE Active Member Member

Wow! Nice to see this old thing released in some capacity.

Played it from start to finish, or at least until it crashed in Scrap Brain, but I thought it was alright! However, I feel you were too focused on the sound side, and didn't balance out work on the other stuff, and kind of shows throughout the hack. Ex: later levels feeling cheap, leftover S1 bugs, SBZ1 crash from earlier...
    Oh, also... Could you add these people to the credits, please? They really helped in the hack's early days.

SplicerFusion (Map layout, former)
    GSonic15 (Enemy art, misc)
    Valentin the Fox (Level art, LZ and SLZ)
    Special thanks to GalliumGrant and Schwa

All that said, nice working with you and best of luck in your future endeavors, man. :)

7. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

ProjectFM likes this.
  8. RandomName

RandomName Newcomer Member

I haven't played farther, than Marble Zone, so that's opinion only on these Levels. Music and Art are good, but level layout is so-so. Marble Zone layout looks like original in some places, Green hill act 2 is faster and easier than act 1. Also Backgrounds should have more deformations

9. Deactivated Account

See the title of the thread please, it's unfinished and cancelled, all is deleted, only can play that rom in the link.

RandomName likes this.