Sonic 1 J2ME General Hacking Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Kilo, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

Oh certainly! PNGs and MIDIs are only part of the game, after all. There's still level data and while, for the most part, we've concluded it's a slightly modified version of Sonic 1 MD's, there's still quite a bit to do on it, such as collision and angles. As well, there's also the files involving image cropping (mc_obj_size_table.bin, and framedata.bin)

2. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Perhaps we can talk in private instead of cluttering this topic, but if you think there is a task I can help with, I'll gladly write a converter from/to a Sonic 1 format and/or a "real world" format. I'm sure you can write that by yourself, but if there are many things to do we can save time by working in parallel.

3. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

Hey Iso,

I just found an old Samsung phone from 2010 called the Samsung Monte Slider that can run Sonic 1 J2ME well, but the resolution doesn't match well as seen in the photo. If you want me to bug test and try your hack on it, just let me know!

IMG_20200927_144004.jpg

ProjectFM likes this.
  4. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

From what I can find, your phone has a resolution of 128x160. There is a release of Sonic 1 J2ME made for that size, but it lacks backgrounds and has even worse collision.
    upload_2020-9-27_7-16-56.png

ProjectFM likes this.
  5. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

Made the first edits of Sonic 1 J2ME via SonLVL
    upload_2020-10-28_16-46-12.png
    The way I did it was basically by strapping it onto a normal Sonic 1 project file. But changed the chunks to the J2ME files.

6. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

This is moreso unused content than hacking, but I think this fits here.
    On June 23, 2011, a preview demo of Sonic Generations was released that lasted 20 days.
    In the demo's loading screen, there's an unused sprite sheet of 16-bit Sonic. It can be triggered by activing developer mode, and Sonic will play his walking animation. Looking at the sprite sheet for this unused Sonic though, I noticed some familiar oddities. Particularly some strange cut offs, the drowning sprite being horizontally flipped, and prototype sprites. And then it hit me: This is J2ME's sprite sheet. Compare for yourself:

Sonic Generations 20 Day Demo
    [​IMG]

Sonic 1 J2ME (Part 1, 240x320)
    [​IMG]

It's the same frame order and all. It even uses the hurt sprite from the Sonic 1 MD prototype. The only difference is that the Sonic Generations 20 Day Demo cuts of the right side of the sheet.
    This only enforces my theory that post-2005, SEGA used J2ME as the master build of Sonic 1 for resources and remakes.

TheInvisibleSun and ProjectFM like this.
  7. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Never mind

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  8. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

Finally figured out what the MapLzoneX.blt files are: Tile priority!
    upload_2020-12-19_8-56-18.png
    The format is pretty simple, each nybble is a block, 0 is low priority, 1 is high priority.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    Niko and ProjectFM like this.
  9. DarkSilentKill

DarkSilentKill Newcomer Trialist

There is a Sonic the Hedgehog Low-end Version for Low-end Verizon device including the Motorola V265. Sonic the Hedgehog EA Mobile BREW and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 EA Mobile BREW. Everyone knows about J2ME/Java ME (Java Platform, Micro Edition) ports but don't know about the EA Mobile & Verizon Ports that uses BREW, BREW MP, or Qualcomm BREW (Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless).

I created a Forum for this topic: https://sonicresearch.org/community...d-sonic-spinball-published-by-ea-mobile.6647/