General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

Working on a 2P VS hack for Sonic 1. I got Green Hill's foreground working with 8x16 tiles. Basically, in 320x448 interlaced mode, tiles are 8x16 instead of 8x8 like you'd find in the V224 modes. I used the Sonic 2 Nick Arcade tiles as a base and optimized it to be less VRAM heavy, since those are already setup for 8x16.
    [​IMG]
    But it's still not that simple, since enabling V448 looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    I've got lots of work to do so hold tight~

Edit: Also here's the hack's title screen. I didn't want to double post over the same subject
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Angel X and ProjectFM like this.
  2. AkumaYin

AkumaYin Well-Known Member Exiled

A few days ago I stumbled across two unused parallax/scroll effect routines for Techno Tower Zone in Sonic Crackers and after studying them, restored them in the base game:

The parallax doesn't quite work properly likely since the standard draw system doesn't account for it, but that much isn't surprising. Perhaps the most curious here is the H-scroll ripple effect on the foreground that activates when the screen is beneath Y level $D60, leading me to believe that water was intended for this zone in some form.

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Awesome find! I do enjoy Crackers research.

I'd imagine one other reason for the lack of parallax would be the clouds at the top. Incidentally, there are night-time chunks in ROM data, perhaps you could utilise those if you are intending on making a legitimate Crackers hack.

AkumaYin likes this.
  4. GenesisDoes

GenesisDoes What Nintendont Member

Managed to crack how palette cycling works in Chaotix last week (it uses another scripting-based system, with some LUTs for Act/TOD combinations defined for each zone), and ported over Cracker's palette cycling into Techno Tower Zone Classic with some SonED2 ROMulan support for it that I added.

Have also discovered some unused data within the Chaotix disasm for the Character Select menu, which had Heavy and Bomb defined as accessible characters in the menu. This isn't too surprising, considering the 0119 prototype of Chaotix used a placeholder carousel-based menu with Heavy, Bomb, and a blank space for Wechidna defined. Extending some loops that read the lookup tables for the unused data from $04 menu slots to $06 slots restores the beta functionality of Bomb and Heavy as accessible characters in the menu.

KC_CharSel_MenuCmpl.jpg

5. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

It's buggy, but
    upload_2020-12-12_17-5-44.png

6. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Lady in red, living in dread. Member

So, I began working on a graphics hack of Sonic 2, to make it look more like its Genesis counterpart, graphics-wise, but also take some cues from the Autodemo as well, plus replacing some Badniks with unused ones from Sonic 2, such as the New Motobug with the wheel snail, the lobster Badnik which looked too much like a real lobster with the one from Tom Payne. Other things include unused chunks and tiles being put to use (Underground Zone and Aqua Lake Act 2), little caves in Green Hills, and Gimmick Mountain actually having proper floor graphics for a change, plus using Sonic's palette for background tiles to maximize colour (Gimmick Mountain really benefitted from this, for all the rails use Sonic's palette!)
    Sonic_2_DX.png

maple_t, Royameadow, nineko and 11 others like this.
  7. Inferno

Inferno Rom Hacker Member

Welp, here's a picture of my (and my team's) hack: Sonic 1 Definitive.

Art is still WIP, but eh. The animation here, which is based off S1 concept art, replaces airwalking from the spring anim for now.

[​IMG]

jubbalub, Giovanni, Pacca and 6 others like this.
  8. Inferno

Same hack, alluding to a Christmas present of sorts (not a build), edited slightly:
    [​IMG]

9. Inferno

Splashscreen made by a fellow who goes by Rivet. Also foreshadows something I'll be showing here tomorrow:

10. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

This is set to be so far the most accurate Sonic 1 prototype recreation to date. This recreates the Shinsaku Video Soft prototype from early 1991 (January - March).
    While it's not as interesting as TTS or the Computer Chronicles prototype (Often mistakingly mislabeled as the CES prototype), it's the only prototype we have the most information on, wich makes it perfect recreation material.

Also a screenshot of LZ, because it's got some differences off the bat.
    upload_2020-12-24_21-42-5.png

11. Inferno

The team I am leading has uploaded the first video of their existence, as part of pushing a Discord server to get frequent updates:

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

It looks wonderfully professional~

I appreciate the new chunks created and the layout structure seems very solid and playable, very polished! Sounds like you have a very professional team.

Would be nice to see some brand new levels, I think you all have the potential to create a new zone with new badniks, new gimmicks, and with polish and care to game play.

Crimson Neo and ProjectFM like this.
  13. Inferno

Good news:
    We have plans to bring over the 8-bit zones and possibly add 4 zones inspired and based off Sonic 1 concepts, eventually. So, new zones, new badniks, and such will emerge

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Crimson Neo and Ravenfreak like this.
  14. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

God damnit! It's already 26th December in the UK and I didn't make the chance to make a Christmas post. So to make up, here are three screenshots of ReOne Slim:

ReOne_Reborn (7).000.png
    Emerald Hill Zone ported to Sonic 1's engine (will need to fix the animated art and change the palette and background)

ReOne_Reborn (7).001.png
    Tails has joined the scene and he has brought his tails to join Sonic on his adventure. (will add Tails flight, fix his collision height and add Tails life and signpost icon)

ReOne_Reborn (7).002.png
    The coconuts are back and their coconuts can be deflected with the elemental shields.

That's all I'm posting for this year. There will be a video coming out next year (possibly late January) to demonstrate the features + more I have added over the past several weeks. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! ;)
    And not get into lockdown again.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

I made some Special Stages.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Angel X, NiphFM, Pacca and 5 others like this.
  16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

You need to give me a compilation ROM of these to play on live stream I think~

This totally looks fun =D

17. MainMemory

They're all for Cursed S3K (see Random Projects thread).

Ravenfreak likes this.
  18. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

You're a mad woman MainMemory. I look forward to playing these in a future Cursed S3K build. xD

Angel X likes this.
  19. Lone Devil

Lone Devil Internet War Veteran Member

20. MainMemory