Retro Engine Remakes Decompilation Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Rubberduckycooly, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Rubberduckycooly

Rubberduckycooly Newcomer Member

For about 2-3 years now I have been working away at RSDK reverse engineering of all sorts, and after a long time I finally have some work to show that's usable for everyone: a full decompilation of Sonic CD 2011's (PC) scripts!

They can be downloaded from here: https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-CD-2011-Script-Decompilation

I have made a mod as a sort of example on how to use them & what they're capable of on a basic level, that can be downloaded from here: https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/13601

note: for anyone wishing to use/create CD script mods, you'll need to download the scripts from the github and place then in [exedir]/scripts/ (example: [exedir]/scripts/title/Sega.txt)

with just these scripts the entire game's logic for objects becomes avaliable to people who wish to use it, as RSDK (v2) runs scripts that are compiled at runtime, meaning an engine decompilation wouldn't be as useful as a script decompilation

bugfix: https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-CD-2011-Script-Decompilation/releases download the zip here and extract it to the sonic CD exe dir (otherwise the line endings get messed up and the game wont load the scripts properly, they need to be saved as windows CRLF)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  2. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

This is absolutely dope as hell. Good work Ducky. Really proud of the progress the RSDK scene has been making as of late.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

This is great, and so are your contributions to the mod loader! It's really gone further than I ever thought it would.

4. LBPPlayer7

LBPPlayer7 Newcomer Trialist

Any chance of a decompilation of the scripts from the mobile version? They'd be great as we'd have the fixes from the newer versions of the mobile releases, but also have a way of fixing the jank that is the menus after they added ads to the game.
    And that's not to mention the fact that Desert Dazzle (R21A) is only present in the later versions of the mobile release.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  5. Rubberduckycooly

over the last couple of weeks I decided I could take my Sonic CD (RSDKv3) decompilation and upgrade/improve it to become an RSDKv4 (S1/S2) decompilation, so I set to work on doing exactly that! and now, a few weeks later: here are the fruits of that effort: https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-1-2-2013-Decompilation

huge shoutouts to RMGRich (https://twitter.com/rmg_rich) for helping me during this, without them this wouldn't be completed nearly as fast or as nicely as it is!

as an extra bonus, here are the scripts that S1 uses https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-1-Sonic-2-2013-Script-Decompilation completely decompiled & ready to be run via the decompilation (S2's scripts will be out later this week, it takes a while to clean up every script and we didn't want to delay this release any longer)

Angel X, Clownacy, Chaotix and 13 others like this.
  6. Speems

Speems Well-Known Member Member

This is hella awesome, can't wait to see the entirety of the mobile ports fully functional on PC! BlueStacks is a pain in the ass to use so this is much needed relief. Same applies for mods (and managers for them) of the ports.

RandomName likes this.
  7. Razor

Razor Active Member Member

This is awesome stuff

8. drmelon

drmelon Newcomer Member

This is some absolutely stellar work - I can't thank you all enough for the hard work you put into this.

Rubberduckycooly likes this.
  9. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Here's a Wii U port of Sonic CD. It expects the files to be in a folder called 'SonicCD' on the SD card.

Unfortunately, it's a little crashy right now because the decompilation has a race-condition problem. I won't be able to work on this for the next couple of weeks, so I figured I'd just release what I have so far.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  10. Speems

Speems Well-Known Member Member

This is epic, but don't know if modding would be on par with the standard Steam release. I doubt Mania would get this treatment but I have seen many impressive feats from this community. Either way, this is definitely epic

11. Psycho RFG

Psycho RFG Well-Known Member Member

Wooow, great job. Is there any possibility to make it work on the normal Wii too? Would be possible with the Sonic 1/2 releases?

12. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

It's possible, but it would require a lot of work: porting to the Wii U was easy because the decompilation rebases the game on the SDL2 library, which is available on both PC and the Wii U, but it isn't available on the Wii. Either someone would have to port SDL2 to the Wii, or the decompilation would need converting to something that the Wii supports. The decompilation of the Sonic 1 & 2 remasters are affected by this problem as well.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  13. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

Forgive me if my information is wrong, but doesn't the wii support WAD? Might be confusing the format with something else entirely. Definitely not DOOM's interpretation of that. When the online services were taken down, I had to install Sonic 4 episode 1 via the injector. Which if I may recall, was just that format. Of course I later bricked my console from using the wrong firmware. Just trying to get an understanding if that is completely untrue.

Edit: I haven't touched a wii since after that had happened so my knowledge probably isn't well suited, as tactics may have changed.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

That's a bit like saying that Mac supports .zip, therefore I can install this Windows program on Mac because it comes in a .zip.

Clownacy likes this.
  15. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

Fair enough. I'll just remain silent for this one. Lol should have paid more attention to your post above. My bad.

16. Rubberduckycooly

I am considering adding support for SDL1.2 to the decomps when I get the time, that way platforms like 3DS & wii should be able to get ports much quicker

Psycho RFG likes this.
  17. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Would that help with Windows xp as well? I know literally nothing about these things.

18. Rubberduckycooly

from what I've seen SDL2 does support windows xp, though I do have to assume SDL1.2 was probably more built for that kind of time (90s through to early 2000s)

19. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I see, the current release doesn't work for me, though, so I guess I'll just sit back and wait for the 1.2 version, then.

Thanks for your reply and for all your work, of course.

20. Rubberduckycooly