How to make after-images in sonic 1?

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by ReZZ, Jan 24, 2021.

1. ReZZ

ReZZ Newcomer Trialist

Ater-images or trailing which is in sonic 3K (when turning hyper) he has the trailing/after-images.How do i get them in sonic 1?

2. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

At the moment, there is no publicly available guide for this, so unless someone is willing to create one, I recommend getting started with MarkeyJester's 68k Programming Guide, looking through the code of your disassembly to get an understanding of how the game works, and try making some minor adjustments to see how the game responds. Over time, you'll get a better idea of what you're doing and what you're capable of doing and reach a point where you can implement this feature yourself.

As a little push in the right direction, here's how I'd do it: Object 38 is used for the shield and invincibility stars. The invincibility stars exhibit very similar behavior to what you're looking for. You can copy the invincibility stars section of the code and paste it as a new object. Adjustments would have to be made so that the new object uses unique labels. Then you can make the new object use the same art pointer, animation, and mappings as Sonic. Also don't display the main part that has the same x and y position as Sonic, because it would be redundant. I'd make the object only display when Sonic is at a certain inertia or x velocity. Finally, I'd make it spawn when spawning Sonic. It could probably share SST addresses with the invincibility stars and could overwrite each other at the start and end of Sonic's invincibility. That would prevent both existing at the same time, which could cause slowdown and/or go above the per scanline sprite limit.

3. ReZZ

ReZZ Newcomer Trialist

Sure. I would try to make it myself! Thanks for the information! :)