Random hack/Mini project thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DanielHall, May 24, 2010.

1. Regal102

Regal102 Newcomer Trialist

Hello, long time no see! I am making Sonic the Hedgehog - Green Greens, because my old hack, Sonic and the Green Land has not finished.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2021
  2. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

Okay. Where's the download link? Plus, you literally told us nothing about your hack. We just know it exists on your hard drive.

3. Regal102

Regal102 Newcomer Trialist

Not yet. I had to fix "you passed", and adding objects.

EDIT: I used ExaGear, not real computer.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2021
  4. Giovanni

You could have fixed your hack before posting about its existance, instead of wasting your trialist posts.

5. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

What?

Why are you pressuring someone into uploading a build of their hack? Just posting screenshots is absolutely fine, as I understand, especially if the project isn't ready to release a playable build.

@AGKRegalEntertainment I mentioned this in your thread, but I recommend posting those screenshots in the "General Screenshot/Movie Thread" if you want to show your progress. I believe this thread is for small hack releases that don't require their own dedicated thread.

RandomName and DeltaWooloo like this.
  6. Giovanni

Very sorry about that. While I would have appreciated at least a description of the hack itself in the original post, I will admit I have been particularly rude. I will be more understanding in the future.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  7. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

Sonic CD is weird.

Thanks to Ralakimus for releasing the R11A disasm.

Attached Files:

Angel X and ProjectFM like this.
  8. CuckyDev

CuckyDev Newcomer Trialist

So recently I was reminded that I made this mini-hack thing. I was also reminded that I never posted it anywhere.
    So I present the most original ROM hack ever, Mario in Sonic 1.
    It's Mario in Sonic 1, with SMB1's physics and everything. Although he has the SMB2 super jump so that it's not completely impossible.
    This hack isn't finished, it never will be, and if I recall correctly it breaks around Labyrinth. I'm just posting it here so that it doesn't end up disappearing off the face of the earth.

Attached Files:

9. Giovanni

Surprisingly, I have not seen the "Mario physics in Sonic" concept too much in Sonic ROM hacks. The first (and very likely only) instance in which I saw more Mario-esque physics was probably in "I made you a Salad with Extra Tomatoes".
    Of course, I appreciate all hacks that try to include Mario characters in Sonic by changing the characters' physics and moveset. It's just that most of the times, the characters feel too... Sonic-y.
    This one, however, I truly despise it. I absolutely hate the way Mario moves, the way he jumps, and the fact I must hold a run button. Which truly captures the feeling of frustration I get every time I play SMB1! Bravo!

Overall, the hack is fine. I just wish I saw this concept of "porting a different game's character entirely" a bit more with Sonic hacks. Although, considering how slow the more accurately ported characters are, it's probably for the best if the frequency stays like this.

RandomName likes this.
  10. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

Last month, I've been helping AURORA☆FIELDS with documenting a disassembly for the Sonic 1 prototype and during that, I decided to make my own ROM hack of the prototype and see how it turns out. The result was... meh. Not a lot of features were added and I intend to scrap it since I'm working on my hack, although I'll list you the changes that will be within the ROM:
    • Different music from a few other games
    • Sonic 2 sprites
    • Sonic CD SFX (Chaotix spindash too courtesy to KCEXE)
    • Speed cap has been removed alongside the spike bug (partially removed)
    • The spindash is here, although without the dust, so the camera bug seen in GHZ Act 1 is fixed
    • Some other bug fixes and minor improvements
    The rest of the prototype bugs are there and some new ones I made. There is also a bug in Gens where the game freezes for a bit in the act clear screen but other than that, it plays normally. The monitor art is broken when hitting it and the GHZ boss's ball is buggy.

I don't think I'll come back to it since we haven't updated the disassembly in a while and if it does, I don't consider finishing it off unless I change my mind throughout the year. In any case, I hope you enjoy the hack.

out (2)000.jpg

Credits:
    Everyone (including me) who worked on the Sonic 1 prototype disassembly
    MarkeyJester for giving me his custom S3K music modifier for me to test out (test song in $8D)
    KCEXE for his Chaotix spindash SFX

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Angel X and JGamer2151 like this.
  11. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  12. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Lady in red, living in dread. Member

Newest project is another KiddEd thing. No demos will be released due to Canal Pirata SEGA stealing my Alex Kidd in Mario World hack and modifying it without my permission.

Anyway, it's currently called Knuckles' Adventure. It's me making a Metroidvania type game starring Knuckles. The story is a mysterious albino Echidna known as Rekna appears, and using the gold Timestone, he tries to go back into the past to make sure thr Twilight Tribe wins the war, and he reigns supreme over Mobius. He isn't alone, however, for Knuckles jumped into the time portal too. Can Knuckles defeat his ancient foe, and learn about his past and where he came from? Find out when the game is finished!

Features:
    Over 12 expansive levels, in multiple biomes, along many hidden secrets, with towns to visit.
    A new origin story made just for the classic Sonic universe, with new heroes and villains!
    Graphics that blow the Alex Kidd engine away!
    Customized physics for better play control.

Credits:
    Hidden Palace graphics: me.
    Knuckles sprites: Gustavo Firmino Cazonato
    Other graphics: SEGA/Aspect
    Hidden Palace theme: Dv2
    Bloody Tears music: TrojanHorse711

13. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Later versions of "Rainbow Islands" didn't feature the "Over the Rainbow" song because copyright.

Thanks to some help by Calindro and ValleyBell, I was able to inject that song in the Master System version.

Youtube video.
    Topic on smspower with IPS patch attached (I'd attach it here, but it's not allowed).

KCEXE, Bluestreak, Niko and 2 others like this.
  14. TheInvisibleSun

Love this! It feels like what an original Knuckles franchise/game could've been like, without Sonic.

Bluestreak and Stdh like this.
  15. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Lady in red, living in dread. Member

Just be warned, this is more linear like Metroid Fusion or Monster World 4, since I am unable to make a huge connected world with the engine. The fun part is you can see Angel Island as it was long ago. The jungle is far denser, among other things. Not every area is based on Sonic 3 tho. I hope to make it where multiple text boxes can appear from one spawn object, and add text rolling between stages to make the story more obvious instead of the need for an included text file.

The story takes place at an unspecified time in the "classic" dimension, so that it won't mess with the canon classic timeline. The only character carried over from the modern continuity is Pachamac. Also, you'll get to see an Echidna from a VERY obscure Sonic comic appear, and I ain't talkin' Sonic the Comic...

And yes, she plays a major role.

16. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

I didn't originally plan to release it as its own thing, but since some people (hardware enthusiasts in particular) were asking me to do it, so here we come...

Some time after the release of my most recent hack to date, Sonic 1 Blastless, people have finally discovered and appreciated one of its hidden gems: it's capable of running in full 320x240 resolution! This is unlike the absolute majority of Mega-Drive games (Sonic series included), which only used 320x224 resolution at best.
    However, due to hardware and analogue TV-signal limitations, the full 240 pixels vertical resolution is only possible on the PAL systems, while the NTSC ones have a shorter 224-pixel screen. This is why almost no official Mega-Drive games took advantage of it, as all the regions except for the Europe (PAL) couldn't use it. It essentially required extra time and effort to properly design and test games to support different screen resolutions.

In the end, no official Mega-Drive Sonic game or hack used the hardware to the full potential in that regard. I wanted to change that, so Sonic 1 Blastless also became the first hack to support this resolution.
    It became possible thanks to its heavily-modified engine, that was designed to work in arbitrary screen resolutions.

Some people really appreciated the effort, but also wanted to play the original game in the extended resolution. So, allow me to present to you...

Sonic 1: 240p Edition

This is the edition of Sonic 1, that is running in proper 320x240 resolution, in which you can see even more of the screen! This is actually more faithful to Taxman's ports that also use this resolution instead of the standard 320x224.

Please watch to comparison video for side-to-side difference with the original game:

This is of course built on top of Sonic 1 Blastless, because modifying the original engine would take too much effort at this point (it's a lot harder to pull off than you may think).
    As a side effect, this hack includes Spin Dash and dozens of bugfixes and optimizations to the original game, that were featured in Blastless. As you can also notice in the comparison video, the engine has been so extensively optimized, that everything loads times faster than the original game.

Due to heavily modified engine, however, it also has a few quirks and issues you should probably be aware of:
    • Most of the demos are out of sync due to slightly fixed and improved Sonic physics (removed the speed cap, disabled controls lock when jumping after rolling etc);
    • There's a certain block in SYZ3 that blocks your way (many people have noticed it out when playing Blastless; and I'm afraid it hasn't been fixed yet);
    • Sonic's palette is deeper blue (just saying, because some people seemed to have problems with that).

Download

As mentioned above, the extended resolution only works in PAL mode! Make sure to switch to it before booting the ROM. You'll see a warning message.

17. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

Hey there, this ROM hack of Moonwalker contains Thriller from the prototype, which was intentionally planned to be in the retail release but replaced with Another Part of Me, which was licensing issues since Michael Jackson didn't own the song. What's noteworthy is that since this is the REV00 build, it contains the Thriller dance songs. Since this has been done via hex and that I haven't played Moonwalker myself, please let me know if I hit any bugs along the way. There have been minor changes to say Thriller in the sound test screen, and the copyright screen had a few minor changes. Credit goes to SEGA for the original game and brian the hedgehog and Landon White for discovering and dumping the prototype online. If you do ask if I will make a Moonwalker hack or not, chances are unlikely as hex causes me stress (I'm a poet, and I didn't know it =P)

Attached Files:

18. TheInvisibleSun

Decided to actually mess around with Sonic 2 today a bit.
    Introducing the Enhanced Super Spindash, an upgraded version of the iconic move, created to make for a smoother Sonic 2 experience:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Pacca and DeltaWooloo like this.
  19. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I love how you can make it read invalid palette data rather easily. Don't really love how it often warps you to the start of the level though. Might make my own 'spin' on this someday, great idea :3

TheInvisibleSun likes this.
  20. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I don't get it.
    When I use the Spin Dash, I always go back at the start of the level?