Sonic the Hedgehog - Green Greens

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Regal102, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Regal102

Regal102 Newcomer Trialist

Hello! I decided to this hack, Sonic the Hedgehog - Green Greens.

Sonic the Hedgehog - Green Greens is a most hack of Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. It also editing title coding which is based of Sonic Green Snake v4 and stolen music from Sonic Open Source Project. Because a old hack, Sonic and the Green Land is not finished yet.

Features:
    • Editing layout for Green Greens Act 1
    • Change "ZONE" to remove, "SONIC HAS" to remove again, and replace "PASSED" to "YOU PASSED"
    Tools used:
    • SonED2 by Stealth (editing palettes)
    • Sonic 1 - Text Code Generator by Selbi
    • Notepad++ (editing ASM coding)
    Credits:
    • Music from Gamma V, nineko, and ???
    • Green Greens Zone (from Sonic 1 IGTA Public Release)
    Zones:
    • Green Greens Zone (formerly Magic Greens Zone from ESEII)
    • Regal Garden Zone
    • Golden City Zone (formerly Night Outskirts Zone)
    • Diamond Maze Zone
    • Cogeo Rebound Zone (formerly Sparkling City Zone)
    • Enigmatic Egg Zone (from Sonic & Ashuro)
    Please let me suggestions for what will update my hack.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2021
  2. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

OK, I was supposed to take a break from this place but I do want to express my opinions. So, let's go over the problems shall we and I'll list them, right here:

• "card coding which is based of Sonic Green Snake v4", why? Just because someone made the title card look different by removing the "zone" text doesn't mean you can follow their path.
    • The music, can I be honest, was originally from Sonic Open Source Project (mainly the Sonic 3 and 3D: Flickies Island music) and SoniNeko music, I mean, I don't want to listen to Nineko's great music once again, it just boring and repetitive. And the first act sounds, well... not that great and it's from another hack. Why?
    • SonED2, I do not recommend using that tool, it's quite old and hard to use. Could you, prehaps, give SonLVL a go?
    • The palettes, while not perfect, looks nice in some places. Try and improve it for the next version
    • Only a one level hack and the layout is not good. Please compare to how Sonic 1 presented its level maps and do something similar.
    • You used the same zone name from Sonic and Ashuro? Where's the originality?
    • There isn't the spindash? Awww (I'm being a little nitpicky here)
    Not to sound rude, but you could've posted it later when you had more levels completed and something to show and I also believe you take a look at this thread since this hack overshadows it: http://sonicresearch.org/community/index.php?threads/the-death-of-originality.6138/. You need to come back with an improved hack, I know somewhere you have the potential to show who you are. I wish you luck for the next version~

EDIT: I lost my English again =P

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  3. Regal102

I had to remove a "zone", replace "PASSED" to "YOU PASSED" like Sonic Green Snake v4.

I forgot to download SMPS pack files with .bin file to change my old music.

I had to open SonLVL, but I got a .NET Framework error or doesn't work. How can I fix this?

Thank you, I'll be improved but SonLVL doesn't work for ExaGear.

I had to update...

I had to replace to Color Factory instead.

I can't add because it was too hard, so I need tutorial please.

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

I swear, the spindash is the most overrated ability ever. No need to port it if you don't want or need it for your hack's design. Porting the spindash is not some hacking requirement/prerequisite.

Personally I don't care where you got your music from (unless it is stolen or otherwise ill-gained), but I'd leave out tracks that are audibly not working correctly. Don't be afraid of keeping the existing music until you sort that out, as some of that static and messy instrumentation can be a bit rough on the ears, especially if someone is wearing headphones.

My main issue though, is that your hack seems to lack a central idea, focus or concept. Over the past 15-20 years or so, there have been many, many hacks that seem to only desire to change palettes, layouts and music. There's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, if that is what you want. If you desire to create something a bit more compelling, however, I recommend using your imagination and looking beyond those things, toward different ideas. Said different ideas may require more advanced changes to the game, but don't be afraid of that; just be patient enough to learn over time, and you'll be surprised at what you can accomplish!

But either way, I'd work on this a bit more before making a thread and/or posting a release. In the meantime, feel free to show screenshots/videos of your progress in the "General Screenshot/Movie Thread", and also feel free to ask questions in our "Basic Questions and Answers Thread" if you get stuck. Good luck!

5. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

Being a newcomer this kind of mistake is normal, you must learn deeply and explore your ideas yourself, think please, there are tools here for editing and more, use them.
    Before of post a basic hack, I would recommend reading the rules and you must be aware of these mistakes the next time when you will publish a new update from your hack.
    About music, stop using used songs and packs, you can create your music yourself.

That is a test that you can make your own content if you are available to learn and work heavily.
    What you hear, that cost me 9 years of learning, please study and be patient when releasing an update of your hack, you will improve over time, with a very good ending, well polished, and very well finished.

6. Regal102

Well, long time no see. Thank you. What about Regal Garden Zone & Cogeo Rebound Zone new music?

Deactivated Account likes this.
  7. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

I give you some advice: Never in your life do this again, you not must be inspired by any hack, do not steal/use music or codes from other hacks again, this is not good, now you know that using things from other hacks is already something bad, I hope that when I return here, l want to see something of my own and productive, nothing stolen.
    Honestly, these songs were used in a lot of hacks, I listened to your ost totally, but for my taste, these songs don't fit.
    And apparently, there are songs that are decent and I like them, but you must work more on it, I am not good visually, I have a long journey with music, sometimes I do SMPS that several times the instruments don't fit or the same song also, but my works are of very advanced quality and years of learning.
    And I agree with him, wait for the next time to publish a stable rom of your hack, change those palettes, use Hivepal to fix the color of the palettes, I used many times in the past, and ask for help if you need it.
    Now I'm working with music, I can help if you want, but think good to the time to choose the music. (I'm not here frequently, so you must wait because I'm busy in part in real-life).
    That being said, now I think that in my opinion, this thread should move to the Random/Mini hack Project, for you to publish the in-progress rom of your hack.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Regal102 and DeltaWooloo like this.