Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

Perfect, I'm only going to report the post in any case if necessary, sorry if I sounded rude or something, but I just said he don't laugh and be aware next time, a thousand apologies if anyone was offended.

2. FruitcakeDog

FruitcakeDog Newcomer Member

I had a think about what you said there and I found out that there were indeed loads more tiles in the new art than the original credits file had and that the garble seemed to start about half way through the first line that uses the extra tiles. So I went back into sonic.asm and discovered that where I'd dummied out the line that loads the graphics for the 'Sonic Team Presents' text there was still empty space in VRAM being reserved for it. I dummied out that line as well, built the rom and the new graphic loads perfectly now.

Thanks for the help! :) (should have used the advice from the first reply way sooner...)

MainMemory likes this.
  3. Candy_TheCat

Candy_TheCat CandyTehRat Member

I understand, I dont wanna get banned.

Edit: also good morning i guess, i hope everyone has a great day today!

4. Speems

Speems Well-Known Member Member

[​IMG]
    An insanely common problem for Sonic 1 hacks importing the S2 level select is a specific crash that happens during the transition to said level select. Nobody tends to notice a lot of the time since most hacks using it were played on emulators like Kega Fusion or Gens. However, Blastem, Regen, and real hardware make the game crash. Thanks to the advanced error handler, it seems like the cause is due to MainGameLoop in the sonic1.asm file. The question is though, how can this error be fixed now that we know where to look?

5. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

This is an easy fix:

Go to s2_menu.asm and search for this:

Code:
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              move.w #$0000,($FFFFF7B8).w ; Inicializa os quadros das animações do menu
                               move.w #$0000,($FFFFF7B9).w ; Inicializa o contador das animações do menu
                               jsr Dynamic_Menu ; Chama a rotina de animação
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    replace it with this:

Code:
                               clr.l ($FFFFF7B8).w ; clear RAM adresses $F7B8 to $F7BA
                               jsr Dynamic_Menu ; Chama a rotina de animação
    The reason for the bug is due to some emulators unable to clear RAM addresses using longwords (i.e. Regen, BlastEM and real hardware)

Hope this helps you with the fix!

Credit to Selbi for the original fix.

EDIT: Who cares about explaining?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    Samey and Speems like this.
  6. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

That explanation makes it sound like the fix doesn't actually work and makes things worse. A better explanation - You cannot use word access on odd RAM addresses, inaccurate emulators like Kega Fusion can though, which because a lot of people use those emulators, the S2 level select guide ends up breaking a lot of hacks.

7. Dewar

Dewar Newcomer Member

Does anyone have any idea how to put custom music in the AMPS driver? I am currently using AMPS on Sonic 2, I tried using MDmusicPlayer and then did a manual editing, but when building the ROM whenever I try to listen to the music the game crashes.

DeltaWooloo likes this.
  8. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I think you might have an error in the formatting of the sound file. Compare yours with a working sound file. One simple error that tends to cause a crash is not subtracting 1 from the FM channel count in the header. You need to do this because SMPS counts the DAC channel, while AMPS doesn't.

Samey, DeltaWooloo and Dewar like this.
  9. Samey

Samey Le Bored Hedgie Member

I was getting a crash when I first ported the Sonic 2 Level select too, however I noticed $FFFFF7B9 was an odd address and changed it to $FFFFF7BA

This looks to be a much cleaner fix though, and I kinda wish I knew about this a few years ago :D

Painto likes this.
  10. Cass10

Cass10 Active Member Member

After 10 years, I found in my old computer a Sonic 1 disassembly (2005) with my old hack, and I got a problem: Sonic don't touch anything except springs, signpost, etc.. I don't remember what I have edited. Maybe some Obj41: code or else...I tried to put the original code, but it didn't fix it What do you recommend? Copy the files to a new disassembly or find the problem?

11. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

You could use something like kdiff3 to compare your asm file with the original, and try to find anything you may have broken through that.

Cass10 likes this.
  12. Stdh

Stdh Active Member Member

so what im trying to do is skip the ending sequence and go directly to the credits
    but there is nothing i have found witch points to that
    so what im saying is: how do you remove the ending sequence and go directly to the credits?
    again i'm using asm68k.

13. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

At loc_1A248, the Hivebrain disassembly has:
    Code:
            move.b    #$18,($FFFFF600).w
    $FFFFF600 is the RAM location for the game mode and $18 points to the ending sequence.
    To make it go directly to the credits, change it to:
    Code:
            move.b    #$1C,($FFFFF600).w
    If you're using the Github disassembly, it's at the same location and in the file "_incObj\85 Boss - Final".
    For future reference, which assembler you're using isn't that important to how your code looks. It's more important to specify which disassembly you're using since there are two commonly used Sonic 1 disassemblies and the GitHub one uses labels for constants and variables as well as some macros, while the Hivebrain one is more bare bones.

14. Cass10

Cass10 Active Member Member

Thank you very much. I'll tell you later if it worked.

15. Speems

Speems Well-Known Member Member

When it comes to S1 hacks importing the S2 level select, I feel having the S1 debug code would be pointless because of the Sound Test being able to input the code for debug. Is there a way to disable the S1 debug cheat (Up C Down C Left C Right) in disassemblies?

16. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

There are various ways to do that, but I think that this one is the most appropriate for your specific request.

Speems likes this.
  17. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Hi, it's been a long time since I've had this problem but I still haven't found a solution, so I'm turning to you.

I'm doing my SMPS on my pc using the midi driver "mid2smps".

This allows me to have the real sound of the console instruments on my MIDI sequencer. The problem (which I'm not the only one to have encountered) is that the DACs don't work properly. Whether it's on Anvil, FL Studio or Sekaiju, only the hit-hats sound right. Toms, snare and kick are silent. I tried several times to reinstall the driver in vain.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit. I remember it worked fine at one time but not anymore and it hasn't worked for a long time.

If anyone has a solution I'll take it!
    Thank you for your help.

18. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

Did you set a valid DAC.ini file in the mid2smps configuration?
    Does that DAC.ini file work with SMPSPlay?

19. JerTH

JerTH Newcomer Trialist

So I'm looking at the Sonic 1 Github Disasm and I see these values at the top of sonic.asm:

Code:
    EnableSRAM:    equ 0    ; change to 1 to enable SRAM
    BackupSRAM:    equ 1
    AddressSRAM:    equ 3    ; 0 = odd+even; 2 = even only; 3 = odd only

; Change to 0 to build the original version of the game, dubbed REV00
    ; Change to 1 to build the later vesion, dubbed REV01, which includes various bugfixes and enhancements
    ; Change to 2 to build the version from Sonic Mega Collection, dubbed REVXB, which fixes the infamous "spike bug"
    Revision:    equ 1

ZoneCount:    equ 6    ; discrete zones are: GHZ, MZ, SYZ, LZ, SLZ, and SBZ

OptimiseSound:    equ 0    ; change to 1 to optimise sound queuing
    What do these values do once changed?

20. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

SmpsPlay works fine!
    That's why i don't understand

Édit: I just replaced the officiel dac.ini from mid2smps files with the dac.ini in SMPS Play and it work perfectly, thanks!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021