Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. DaSupaWaffle

DaSupaWaffle Newcomer Trialist

I see, that makes it a lot easier to understand how the loops work. If I recall correctly, I may have accidentally pasted 35 over 36, making them both the same. Is there any way I can import the chunk from a vanilla map data to restore the chunk I am missing? If anyone could answer, that would help.

EDIT: Nvm, I'll just edit the solidity like you said to prevent any texture bugs. Thank you very much.

EDIT 2: It seems I'm still getting a weird result when trying to edit the solidity manually. Is there a way I can transfer a chunk from the original over my edited chunk?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  2. TheIvanCut

TheIvanCut Newcomer Trialist

someone so brave to make the super sonic sprites in sonic the hedgehog 2 updated but ... for a rom hack please

3. Green Hills

Green Hills Newcomer Trialist

If you wanted the Peel out, there’s already one that you can use and credit on the Free Assets Thread:

4. Kurk

Kurk Oh Yeah Member

I can't even understand what you are requesting. Are you asking for someone to update Sonic 2's Super Sonic sprites for your project? Or are you requesting these updated sprites to exist in their own hack? I assume you want the latter. I would not recommend making a "hack request" topic such as this one. Requesting hacks is frowned upon as it's kinda lazy to ask someone to do work for you. If you want to do it yourself, there's an expanded Super Sonic sprite sheet here.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  5. DarkexMW

DarkexMW werhog Member

I almost have the peel out, but Thanks

Green Hills likes this.
  6. TheIvanCut

TheIvanCut Newcomer Trialist

woow emmm I just wanted someone to do the hack but since you gave me a link it is better that I do it myself so ... thanks anyway !!

7. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

re: the Peel-Out

Some directions can also be found here.

8. Spicy Bread SSR

Spicy Bread SSR You can call me Mal if you like Member

I know this is probably one of the most basic questions in history, but what's Sonic 1's equivalent of Sonic 2's QueueDMATransfer? (Note: I'm referring to the Github versions)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  9. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

in Sonic 2 (it did not exist in Sonic 1)

10. penPhobic

penPhobic Everything's all topsy-turvy now. Member

Now looks like the SMPSPlay program doesn't work for me anymore. The error says : "Error loading Audio Driver!". Any idea what caused this?

Windows 7 user, yet is sluggish and I have no idea how can I make my computer faster. Maybe this program doesn't support said previous version.

11. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

I'm a Windows 7 user and it works for me =P Jokes aside, have you configured the drivers correctly? You should copy the sound driver from the SMPS Research Pack and put in a folder in 'Data' (folder) and configure the sound driver by going to config.ini and name MusicDir and DataFolder to the folder you name with the sound driver attached.

12. penPhobic

I did, but it refuses me to play it for some reason. I think my computer has issues.

SMPSPlayError.png
    It worked fine when I had Windows 10.

13. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

What "AudioAPI" do you use in the config.ini? (also what version of SMPSPlay are you using?)

If you use WASAPI, please try one of the other APIs.
    I know that WASAPI allows you to use only the sample rate set in Windows' options. The other APIs are more flexible in that regard.

EDIT: Just to make it clear: The "audio driver" is how sound is output to your speakers. (e.g. "DirectSound" or "waveOut") It has nothing to do with the SMPS driver configuraton.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  14. Spicy Bread SSR

Spicy Bread SSR You can call me Mal if you like Member

Which one is better for object palettes?
    1: Code based instructions (what Sonic Team did for most objects)
    2: Having the palette defined by the Object mappings
    I know that some palette loading from mappings is needed when using more then one palette, I'm just referring to basic items.

I'm asking this because I'm making a character hack base for the first two Sonic games, and I genuinely don't know if I should alter the code to load into palette 1 for the badniks

15. penPhobic

Realtek and 2.20 version of SMPSPlay program.

Wasapi? Never heard of that, but I give it a try.

16. Scrap Sorra

Scrap Sorra Well-Known Member Member

It all depends on what's easier for you. I personally find it easier to change object palettes via the mappings but not all objects have mappings so that's something to keep in mind.

17. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

"Realtek" is not a valid value for the AudioAPI configuration. Valid values are listed in config.ini.

Also, the "Realtek driver" would be the low-level sound card driver. SMPSPlay talks to high-level audio APIs, that allow Windows to do sound mixing with other programs before the data is sent to the sound card driver by Windows.
    Low-level driver and high-level API are two totally different things.

18. Chron Dafter

Chron Dafter Newcomer Member

Hey, so I can't figure out how to convert my SMPS files (S1 format) to asm with SMPS2ASM (S1 Hivebrain or Github). Can somebody help me?

19. Dewar

Dewar Newcomer Member

If you are talking about the command it's this (note you will need to create a batch file):
    smps2asm.exe -v 1 "Input.bin" "Output.asm" music

20. Inferno

Inferno Rom Hacker Member

Specifically, let me break this down. Also, you can just open a command prompt in the directory using Shift+Right Click, IIRC.

smps2asm.exe -v (sound driver number) "Input.bin" "Output.asm" (header of music ASM file, if this is music, you'd have labels like music_DAC, music_PSG1, etc)

1 is the sound driver number for Sonic 1.