Align Sprite

Discussion in 'Approved' started by MarkeyJester, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Recently I asked Aquaslash to import some sprites for me (or rather he offered to do it), and the method he uses for importing sprites is by seperating all the sprites into their own bitmap files and arranging them ready to be imported to SonMapEd, making something kinda like this:

However, it took him quite a long while to seperate an entrie set individually like that (about 214 sprites took approximately a days worth), which gave me an idea, so I spent a few hours last night writing up a little program to help speed things up:

Download

This program will automatically align the bitmap of a sprite up and blank out the emtpy tiles ready for importing to SonMapEd, let's take this bitmap for example:

It's a single sprite randomly place in the middle of the bitmap file with no effort. After draggin and dropping it onto that program, my program will re-arrange it to:

Automatically aligning it up the smallest it can go and blanking out the unused tiles all ready to be imported!

Have fun.

Usage:

1. Place a sprite of your choice randomly in a bitmap file like this for example.
    2. Save the file and then drag and drop that file onto "AlignSprite.exe"
    3. The file is now convert and prepared

You can also use a batch file to convert multiple sprite files at once using something like:

Code:
    @echo off

AlignSprite.exe WalkFrame01.bmp =

AlignSprite.exe WalkFrame02.bmp =

AlignSprite.exe WalkFrame03.bmp =

AlignSprite.exe WalkFrame04.bmp =

AlignSprite.exe WalkFrame05.bmp =

AlignSprite.exe WalkFrame06.bmp =

AlignSprite.exe RunFrame01.bmp =

AlignSprite.exe RunFrame02.bmp =

pause

Sidenotes:

• The bitmap image must be 24-bit format.
    • The bitmap image cannot be too big, the biggest I could go was this (though more newer machines than mine should be able to do bitmaps bigger than that, either way you can import the ending sprites with no problem).
    • My program will "assume" the very top left pixel of the bitmap is the transparant colour.
    • My program will blank the empty tiles with the standard pale purple colour FF 00 FF (255 000 255).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
  2. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Interesting. I manually insert individual frames myself into SonMapEd, which can be very tedious and time consuming. Hopefully your app will expedite the process the next time I need to insert a shit load of sprite frames.

3. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

This looks to be a handy tool, I'll definately give this a whirl I'm always importing sprites.

4. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Yeah, this really makes our lives much easier when port multiple sprite art into hacks. This was greatly made, very useful stuff. Thanks! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
  5. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

Kinda surprising there isn't already a program that does this - it's not just useful for Sonic hacks, you could use it for working with sprites in any game on any of the 8/16 bit consoles.

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

It's funny you should mention multiple compatability, another reason why I wrote this was to create a header library file for bitmap manipulation (I was getting sick and tired of rewriting functions to load/edit/save bitmap files), now that I have a personalised header with a few useful functions I can strictly speaking adjust the size from 8x8 to another size for another machine in next to no time, so if you have another machine you're working on that reads art in a different size from 8x8 I can quite easily make one for that format for you.

7. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Awesome, this really helps. Although, to anyone using it, you would want to import the palette first from the picture without the pink blocks, so you can get an extra colour. Then, import the picture itself using the "direct to nearest match" for best colours. The pink will now be grey or something, but you won't be using it anyway. At least this way, you won't have a pink in your palette line.

Thanks, Markey, greatly appreciated.

8. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

This is a very useful tool and might encourage more people to import mappings in this way without SonMapEd causing a bunch of issues with it. Good work!

9. GalliumGrant

GalliumGrant Void. Member

Nice job Markey. I have SonMapEd, but I always hated importing sprites because of all the complications.

Now I think I'll finally be able to try it out properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.