Apology Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by FохConED, Jun 30, 2019.

1. FохConED

FохConED Join to Digital Resistance! Member

Greetings to all in this topic. First of all, I created it so that I could apologize for my actions, and secondly, so that other people could apologize to anyone. Considering the current situation in romhacking...

We are left a little in this community and it seems to me that we should not hold a grudge against someone, quarrel with each other and substitute someone. Personally, I am always for friendship and a friendly atmosphere, although it hasn't always been that way. At one time, I managed to do some business and I would like to publicly apologize for the fact that I was very ashamed, but did not have the strength to admit...

Then it was 2016, our team released our work (Sonic Virtual Adventure) at SHC. Everything was not going very well for our project and after a while I had made an agreement with T.N. to rig a certain number of votes on SHC. After some time I agreed with him, although the next week after the agreement I was already ashamed, it was already impossible to reverse the move...

Unfortunately, I was not very experienced then and having given consent, I did not understand that this was a serious blow primarily to our reputation. The relief was that the cheating was revealed. I wanted to tell everything earlier, but I did not have the courage to do it... I was afraid to receive punishment, even though I understood that it would be according to merit. In the future, we participated at SHC always honestly. Although the time has passed after this situation, but I am ready to accept punishment even now. I think you can remove all the community trophies of this hack... And it will be quite fair. Although it's not for me to decide in any case...

I would also like to apologize to my team as I kind of framed them with this action. I would also like to apologize to those if I hurt someone with my own words or spoke about someone behind their backs.

EDIT: Fixed crucial details because of bad memory, read again

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Painto, ProjectFM, LordXernom and 2 others like this.
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ! % # @ Member

I can't speak for everyone else, and given I wasn't involved with 2016's contest, it doesn't really affect me. So if anyone who was affected wants to disagree with me, fair enough, I won't argue.

But I'd forgive you if I were in the situation, because you admitted to it, and most importantly you are expressing real shame for it, so you clearly understand it was wrong and you clearly wished you hadn't have done it. Likewise, 3 years of shame, I think that's punishment enough in all honesty.

I think you should forgive yourself though at this point, just wipe the slate clean... This'll just be another one of those "I was young and stupid" kinda things, something to laugh about as an old man/woman.

FохConED likes this.
  3. Natsumi

Natsumi Phoenix egg Member

I would be more forgiving if I didn't know about the shenanigans between you and TN after the incident, and as I am lead to understand, not very long ago since now. The fact that he's been around you people constantly and by invite of you and/or your team members, lets me question just how honest you are about the whole situation. Given this information came out, I am wondering if there is any reason to trust your words on the subject. Things can come and go, and things can be forgiven, but when there is this much shady stuff going on all the time, and no clear explanation as to why, and how it relates to your work, or how other people contribute to it (like, say, me helping out with testing), it makes me really question how honestly you approach your work, and how much you are willing to do to stay on peoples good side. This is very much a community focused around trust and goodwill towards others, and to go against it so much, whether intentionally or not, kinda sours the relationship between you and rest of the community. Incidentally, because of your actions, your team members indeed get the same kind distrust towards them, even if they are not really responsible for it per se. If they are aware of what is going on behind the scenes, as opposed to be completely oblivious (which I assure you, they aren't.), then I wonder why they do not try to find more positive people to associate with. There is an unfortunate stigma against Russians in the community, which partially is explained by the language barrier and different culture, but these kind of things just stand to strengthen that kind of bias which is just very unfortunate, but at the same time very understandable.

ProjectFM and FохConED like this.
  4. mrcat-pixel

mrcat-pixel The Holy Cat Jr. Member

I can assure you that this particular incident has been under wraps for everyone including the members of the team. I myself have only heard the full story yesterday, and as far as I'm aware I was only one of two people in the team to have heard it that day. The rest of the team are only finding this out as we speak. Based on that, I do believe the team members should by no means be held accountable for what happened back in 2016, especially those who weren't present.

Back to the topic, I consider voicing my opinion on the subject here pointless given I have already done so in private. So there's that.

TheBlad768 and FохConED like this.
  5. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus A Certain Scientific Railgun The Railgun

Academy City
    There's something I've learned over the years with this community, and with life in general:

"Don't simply seek forgiveness with words; seek forgiveness with actions."

The words are alright, and act as a conversation opener, but you need to back up your words with action. Don't just say you're sorry; demonstrate that you're sorry. Cut out and resolve the components that fueled taking the wrong action, and take steps to ensure that the mistake won't be repeated. You have the power to redeem yourself, but you need to actually use it. There may be a cloud of suspicion that hovers for awhile, as is natural when trust is broken, but it takes action to prove you've learned and grown from your mistake to lift that cloud.

A-S-H, ProjectFM, AsuharaMoon and 5 others like this.
  6. FохConED

FохConED Join to Digital Resistance! Member

I understand that my words are worth little and I am ready to prove that this is not repeated by actions.
    I can help prevent similar situations not only from our side but also from any participant.
    I had developed a software mechanism that would help solve this problem. Yes, now this code looks like crap and needs to be rewritten, but in general it will be quite an effective solution.