Insert title.

Discussion in 'Gallery of Dumbasses' started by Oerg866, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oerg866

Oerg866 Well-Known Member Member

Hello there,

for the third time in over five years I've been registered here, I am greeted with the "Wastelands"... Initially I was reluctant to say anything at all, but the unfortunate circumstances demand some sort of dealing with.

Let's recap what happened last time. At the pressure of certain, now exiled SSRG members, the IRC channel was, without prior consideration or announcement to the public, moved to a (for them) more favourable network. More favourable because they are not permanently banned there. I was quite enraged and so were a few others, as the community - even though most of it did not recognize it as such - was betrayed. Not only that, it was at the benefit to some of the worst people in every regard I have ever met. I was banned in the process, me of course being the only individual even though a few more, like my colleague theocas, should have had the same fate if things were judged with even measures. Things took an interesting turn later, because even though I threw every possible insult at everyone involved in the Wastelands, it eventually surfaced that I was entirely correct, and I was unbanned soon after the deal went kaputt - SSRG returned to BadnikNET and life went on normally. I was quite surprised by the outcome of this event. 

Many people by now have noticed that I have a somewhat lacking relationship with "MarkeyJester". I respect him very much on an intellectual level, I despise him for his personality and shallow way of interacting with people. However, I value the ability to have normal conversations with him regardless of previous encounters. 

Quite recently, this person has brought up an interesting debate. Supposedly, a staff member who goes by the name of "nineko" has imposed a rule that forbids the posting of visual material in a lossy format (JPEG), and discourages the usage of lossless images created by software accessible to most people without going through the trouble of using third party software (Microsoft Paint).  

As much as I am reluctant to side with MarkeyJester, It is my strong belief that this rule is one or two yards below the mental freezing point of the average human being. The intent of this rule is not bad, but therein lies the problem: It is a rule. And people are getting warning points for disobeying it. Moreover, it's ruined by the propostrous limits that you need to follow. As Markey rightfully outlined, the usage of PrintScreen, CTRL+V and normal saving methods is prohibited. 

So what is this rule supposed to do?

The first named point is to reduce file size and therefore data traffic and whatnot. But let it be said -- The absolute majority of images posted here are actually not hosted on any server belonging to SSRG or similar, therefore not involving any fees or other imposed traffic limits whatsoever. Another thing to consider is that the volume created by such small images is actually neglicable. What about the clients? People with strongly metered internet access probably know this. Precautions against this are easily taken, and most of these involve blocking and/or massively downsampling images before reaching the client.

What else? Image quality. This is an artificial guideline created solely to satisfy the irregular need of the author (of the rule) to see everything in its purest and smallest form. Notice anything odd? The sole purpose of this rule is to serve the one who created it, and those who side closely with him. The creators of the work... the ART can not be forced to only present their work in a certain file format just to satisfy a minority. The creator is the person who has the ultimate control over his work, and he chooses what method of capturing fits his workflow and is adequate enough to represent a rough impression of the current working stage. The issue is  obvious: With this rule it becomes a massive chore just to save a screenshot of your work in progress to show people on the side. It is a massive interruption, and can potentially harm your creativity. 

This experience is not the first one I've had with this particular staff member, which is part of why I reacted the way I did. I have had a rather positive relationship to him in the past years, which ended last year and made me lose all respect for him.

Let me tell a little side story. I provide hosting services for a website called "vgmrips", a website for classic video game soundtracks founded by Nineko and ValleyBell. I chose my words here wisely because while I host it, I lack the time and skill to contribute anything and all the work is done by the other great people there. Anyway, back to Nineko. He was of course the founder and administrator and therefore had all control over everything happening there. During the setup process, we had to come up with a way to have the forum software send e-mails. Nineko is a man of simple and unprofessional solutions. If it works, it works, and that's that. He used a yahoo address! Well, this needed rectifying. I installed local mail carriers and wanted Nineko to adjust the settings accordingly. Something went wrong, and I needed some sort of direct access to figure out what was going on. I asked for temporary admin permissions, backing it up with the fact that using a yahoo mail address for a forum is unprofessional and embarrassing, to which Nineko reacted rather violently, in the same fashion as he did in his reaction to MarkeyJester's post. He said I should run the website and he doesn't want anything to do with it anymore. This is the first incident.

I ignored it and everything went fine until recently. There was a small unclarity about composer names on a certain sound track, in which out of nowhere Nineko attacked a participant (a regular and valued contributor to the website), praising how well he had done everything and how wrong it is to question it and post other things. Surprised by this sudden outburst this person and I tried to defuse the situation by saying that there's no need to argue this harshly. His reaction? You guessed it. Exactly the same. This was the only piece of drama that has ever occured on vgmrips. Nineko left the place, obviously. My thought was, he wanted to show how valuable he was to the community. Well, judging by the recent success of the place, he failed. This is the second incident. 

You probably realize now why I consider him completely unfit for any sort of Staff position. Now, with this in mind, I could already guess what happened here.

So, ultimately, I was banned. Who could have done that? Spanner and I talked after the incident and I never felt we were on bad terms. In general, I think Spanner either is very good at covering it up, or there really just... isn't that much tension. So I realized it must have been someone else. Staff members can, as far as I am aware, not impose permanent penalties, so I was stuck. What threw my thinking somewhat out of whack was that I was banned by... ShadowFire. Who? I have no personal recollection of ever having any sort of personal interaction with this person. Well, judging by the previously apparent lack of backbone in the staff, it is entirely logical that I was banned like this. The supporting evidence is that the Staff admitted(!) that the rule was put into place by Nineko without even considering any of the other staff beforehand. What does this have to do with anything? Well, at this point someone should have admitted they're wrong and retract the rule, but it's always easier to side with the staff and ban the offender. MarkeyJester is a very respectable member, so of course he won't. Plus, he has written an excellent post, and it would have caused lots of public outrage if he was penalized for it. 

Let's see what kind of other people we're dealing with. It did not surprise me at all how the majority of the regular users immediately, being the "strong supporters" and "loyal beings" they are, and rather unwisely ignoring the topic, bearing little supporting arguments for themselves, leaped to the staff member's defense. This is the caliber of people we're dealing with:

There's people like "Evanescence", who think they're being brilliant by spreading a couple of commonplace phrases. "Ohhh, everyone can feel down occasionally, just try to feel better" (in other words: "pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff") - thinking to himself: "Man, I did good today!"

Here's a quote from "EpicElijahSpeedy", whom's nickname implies a 13-year-old.

It saddens me that these people are given a platform to spew about such nonsense, are sided with and are also in turn blindly defended by the staff. Not a single point in this post is actually factually correct or bears any scientific reasoning. The thought of this caliber of person being given the right in favour aganist me is sickening. I tried to get the rather single sided argument with this person over with as fast as possible, in order to have it return to an actual argument, where people legitimately discuss with facts and logic. 

In recent times, I have complained about the average level of discussion in SSRG. Ignoring that I like to converse with some of the cool people (Fun fact: I talk more in #ssrg than in #retro), I am often accused of not caring about this place at all. Spanner keeps asking: "If you don't care, why don't you leave?". The initial motivation of this question is wrong. I complain because I do care. 

Regards,

Oerg866

2. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Administrator

Having read what you've said here, you're under completely the wrong impression. You weren't banned because you objected to a rule which should never have been. You were banned because once again you jump into any objection head first with insults and rants rather than a calm and well thought argument.

Let's compare it to an everyday situation in working life. Let's pretend there is a particular item that you need for your job and it turns out that you don't have it. Going up to your boss and calling him a useless boss who doesn't know what he's doing will probably see you getting fired, regardless of whether the basis of your argument was justifed. However, if you inform the boss of the problem in a calm manner, chances are the problem will be dealt with and you will keep your job.

The way we operate here is no different. If you have a problem with anything, whether it be a rule, a member or even to disagree about a warning, we are all willing to listen. If you start running off at the mouth like you have a tendancy to do very easily, none of us are actually going to take the time to listen.

You say you're surprised the Shadowfire issued the ban coz you thought there was no previous history there. Well unfortunately history doesn't really mean a lot. I've already said before that I will take any action necessary against any member of any rank, if it is in the interest of keeping this place in order. Recently I had to suspend SuperEgg for an unwarranted outburst but it seems the message has gotten across and he has taken more care at expressing his views. I have quite a bit of respect for him, there's nothing personal but it had to be done.

I'll probably expand a bit more on this situation later when I'm home from work, but just know that out of the admin, staff and selected pro users in the topic discussing your ban, every single person was in favour of it and all for the same reason - attitude.

3. Oerg866

That's not entirely true. A calm argument with MarkeyJester in IRC and my personal history with Nineko preceeded it. My outbursts in the thread were massively less violent than on several previous occasions (thus making this ban all the more surprising). The other thing is, the topic of discussion and the circumstances thereof should be considered before throwing around bans.

Please, don't use slang like that.

Well, it's not that surprising. I would even go as far as saying many of these people wanted to get rid of me for a long time (and the others just didn't know anything). If you go anywhere and ask a select group of certain people on other forums, you'll find polls not ending in my favor at all.

Furthermore, I would appreciate the other parts of my posts to be considered in this discussion.

My appearance here and in this thread should have given you at most 10% of the incentive to ban me, compared to the other occasion, where I went on to throw harshest insults towards everyone of you. This leads me to believe that there are other circumstances to the ban, which I'd like to hear.

Regards

4. Oerg866

5. StephenUK

That's not entirely true. A calm argument with MarkeyJester in IRC and my personal history with Nineko preceeded it. My outbursts in the thread were massively less violent than on several previous occasions (thus making this ban all the more surprising). The other thing is, the topic of discussion and the circumstances thereof should be considered before throwing around bans.

Please, don't use slang like that.

Well, it's not that surprising. I would even go as far as saying many of these people wanted to get rid of me for a long time (and the others just didn't know anything). If you go anywhere and ask a select group of certain people on other forums, you'll find polls not ending in my favor at all.

Furthermore, I would appreciate the other parts of my posts to be considered in this discussion.

My appearance here and in this thread should have given you at most 10% of the incentive to ban me, compared to the other occasion, where I went on to throw harshest insults towards everyone of you. This leads me to believe that there are other circumstances to the ban, which I'd like to hear.

Regards

You basically answered the question yourself. You were banned this time again because you have been banned previously for the exact same thing. Swearing is acceptable, a lack of respect towards other members is not. You seem hell bent on claiming that personal vendettas are the reason you get treated like shit in places, but you might want to try looking a little closer to home. Why would people have a problem with you? Why do I keep getting warning and bans for my behaviour? You can blame everyone else all you want, but the problem lies with yourself.

BTW, you're trying to plead a case for being allowed back in here. Trying to tell an admin what I can and can't write (considering how minor it is) has not helped your case at all. In fact, it's only made more of a case for me that you won't change. I actually took the time to write out a response to try and explain the reasoning behind it and you totally ignore the majority of it only to pick on stupid things and to say it's personal.

That's my interest in this topic over. I was willing to talk it out but if that's the level of response I'm going to get then I'm not gonna waste my time (I did it again, look). You won't be getting a vote in favour from me. Now you'll have to wait and see if anyone else cares enough to post here.

EDIT: Just to clarify, if we "wanted to get rid of you" like you claim, we'd have just banned you a hell of a long time ago for no reason whatsoever. You being here is a privilege, not a right, so what would be stopping us? The bottom line is, nobody has a personal grudge against you, we as staff act on people who fall out of line on more than one occasion. People have been quietly warned before for similar actions, although privately, some have even been banned. You're not an exception.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  6. Oerg866

How do you think I feel? How long do you think my post took to write? Twice? (I lost the first draft). I did not totally ignore your post, I could say the same of you.

The point is, last year I threw personal attacks towards several staff members, administrators, and so on. Please explain to me what in my writing in the JPEG thread warrants a ban. Quotes, please. I didn't go overboard in attacking Nineko, nothing at all would suggest something I should be banned for when in actuality it takes a lot more to sentence a ban that was immediately revoked.

Compare the two incidents.

7. Oerg866

Of course. What a standard thing to say. It's easy, too. 

Well thought argument? I think you'll find my argument a lot more "thought" than Mr. "it is possible for a websites data to overflow" over there. Speaking of which, how can you try to pull the "argument" argument when for example this JPEG rule was not "well thought" either?

What? I was neither offensive nor unfriendly. How can you say that when I obviously put in a lot of effort into both the OP and the reply?

8. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire Well-Known Member Administrator

I banned you because of one fundamental guideline to EVERY online community. Respect the staff and administration. Whether you agree with them or not is irrelevant. It is not your duty to call them out in public and make a scene. It is due to your failure to uphold such principles that I jumped in. As someone who has been a community administrator for many years (including my own), this is something I have always believed in.

Your blatant disregard for something as simple as such was grounds for penalty and considering your prior infractions, and an extremely high warn level, it was deemed appropriate to ban your account.

You will not pass Go. You will not collect £200.

9. Oerg866

Oh, it was okay to insult staff and administrations one year ago but now a ban is warranted for something as insignificant as this?

The worst thing I said in that thread was that nineko is an idiot. Nothing else.

10. Oerg866

May I just quote what I said last year?

And I was UNBANNED after that.

Can you please explain to me what I did so wrong now that I must be banned? Quotes please. Because I don't see it.

11. Shadow Fire

You know, you really aren't helping your case here. If anything, you've only further proven that you are not community worthy.

I didn't recall you being previously banned, but at the time, I was not as active as I am currently. Real life interfered a lot, but rest assured, I would not have lifted your ban then. Either that was an oversight, or one of the other administrators took pity on you and allowed you back in.

Pretty much everything in the topic that ended it all, not to mention that you have brought absolutely NOTHING constructive to these forums. Your posts are quite belligerent and have an air of extreme condescension to them. You have absolutely no respect for authority figures, which is increasingly evident over the recent days.

Now, as to it being ME who banned you this time around, you're absolutely right on one thing. You and I had no aggression towards one another. Granted, I saw you as a smartass who would land in a great deal of hot water, though I'd have thought you'd learn when enough is enough. However, it was obvious that I erred in that assumption, considering I had to bear witness to recent events, and enforce what I felt was appropriate action, which coincidentally, was backed by Ordos and Stephen.

Just so we're clear, I don't give a Muroidean's posterior who anyone is. I will enforce penalties on anyone who breaches the terms laid out by the administration, or who fails to show common respect to those in charge. I have even penalised personal friends because of their infractions without any hesitation, although it is something I did not particularly enjoy having to do. 

12. Oerg866

But still you manage to say

Also, I backed up pretty much everything I said in that thread. I have respect for authority figures, but i I know more about the person than most people do, I tell them what I think of them.

13. Shadow Fire

But still you manage to say

Also, I backed up pretty much everything I said in that thread. I have respect for authority figures, but i I know more about the person than most people do, I tell them what I think of them.

First of all, while I was unaware of your banning a year ago, I have still noticed previous infractions. The warn system exists for a reason (although admittedly, the entire forum system has been a bit buggy lately).

As for telling people what you think of them, it is not your place, especially if said person is an authority figure. Disagree with them? Send a message to a higher-up, or keep your words to yourself. It is not acceptable to utilise such conduct in a publicly viewable area.

14. Oerg866

Hm. If you draw this thin a line at unwanted criticism, perhaps you should ban everyone else who appear in this thread.

Sucking up is apparently more wanted than people who actually know what they're talking about.

It hurts that such a huge posting only yields 3-4 line responses from "authority" figures full of incoherent rambling without any merit.

It also hurts that such a personally inconsistent, thin-skinned and incompetent staff member is defended to the teeth by people who drop down to the same intellectual level as them.

The fluctuations in penalty standards within the administration is shocking, and the pretentiousness of the entire operation is outrageous. If it was "was backed by Ordos and Stephen."

After saying multiple times you were not there last time, this seems pretty inconsistent to say.

Ban MarkeyJester then. He did the same thing.

Most of these warnings come from the previous decade and have no merit at this time.

Have you read my first post in its entirety? I get the feeling you didn't.

You must be extremely thin-skinned to call this a breach.

Yes. The warn system is 10-point except for extreme cases (Look at your own rules). This is not an extreme case.

Check the hardware research I've released here.

Seriously? Hm, I think at least one staff member or administrator should have noticed that they're being called names.

Very, very unlikely.

I'd assume not at all falling into personal insults was the way to go.  Seems it was not.

MarkeyJester opened the thread, therefore causing the scene.

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Trying to drag a ban over to me?

How dare you.

I have access to many places on many sites; even under aliases I don't use, and you have never heard of. I've been reading this thread now for quite some time, as have I been reading stuff in the staff area regarding you too. Not to mention the stuff you've said about me behind my back to others, or the arguments you've leaked of ours from private places in the past.

Did you really think I'd let you off scot free?

You aren't as bright as you make yourself out to be, technologically clever sure, but it only goes so far. Sometimes psychological and local moral respects are requirement to make steps forwards. Your life is empty, because you're relying on being logically correct, even if it means morally offending someone.

I was considering asking the staff to give you another chance, and overlook it on the grounds of "oerg will be oerg", but after your latest insult, I don't think I'm gonna bother.

You can trying acting intelligent in your next post all you like, I'm done reading your crap, and I'm done being nice to you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  16. Oerg866

I'm well aware you can read this.

Problem being: I still don't really care about you. I was merely including a necessary comparison. What you accuse me of is completely contradictory to what I said in the first post.

I don't tend to talk about people I don't care about. Bring proof if you accuse me of such nonsense.

Like with Stephen, I'm going to call BS on this one, as usual. Why even bother to write it.

You've said this countless times. I still don't really care.

Do you really think I'd care?

17. Oerg866

Yeah, yeah, Mr. shapeshifter, get off your high horse.

18. Oerg866

In fact, I don't really care.

Amongst incompetent people, the incompetent person is king.

I guess I'll not release any of my documentation on SSRG anymore, and I'll keep earning money off of my work, while you're all going to be stuck in your little bubble with this community of asskissing retards.

Cya around, fags :)

So, das war mir ein Herzensbedürfnis, das hier mal los zu werden.

19. StephenUK

I don't tend to talk about people I don't care about. Bring proof if you accuse me of such nonsense.

Like with Stephen, I'm going to call BS on this one, as usual. Why even bother to write it.

You've said this countless times. I still don't really care.

Do you really think I'd care?

I'm the one who removed your permanent ban. Why would I even bother wasting my time if it wasn't to give you the chance to speak.

As for your documentation, keep it. I honestly couldn't give a fuck, if you want to keep fucking around with hardware 2 decades old, that's your business. I'll live in the present day with my £35,000 a year job and be perfectly content with that.

20. Oerg866

Yup, you couldn't give a fuck, that's why you're using your precious time to be an admin of a community dealing with this stuff

HEHEHE how awesome is that paradox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.