Port XM to SMPS!

Discussion in 'Tutorials Archive' started by FireRat, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

This guide is designed for who don't understand how to do this. For this reason, this guide will teach how to port a simple XM, like this one:

Sonic_Bridge.zip

Okay. First of all, you need OpenMPT or Modplug Tracker, to debug the music file, and change some notes. Once you have that program, open the file.

[​IMG]

If you see, I have marked the channels that the song will use.

Channel 1 will use FM1, because has the leads

Channel 2 will use DAC, because has the percussion

Channel 3 will use FM2, because has the leads

Channel 4 will use PSG1, because has the bass and/or the squares.

So, note this, when you want to convert some music:

On this file, see the instrument list:

Note that, because we need know this to convert the song.

Now, we need a converter. I recommend this one: xm3smps oergomized

Open the program and open the XM into, do a Autofill and calculate the tempo. You will get this:

[​IMG]

Firstly, we'll fix the PSG.

- Set the volume of PSG1 to 2

- In PSG voice assignments, the Instrument 1 will use voice 4. (If you test the voices, you will know what is the appropiate. Voice 0 is normally the standard)

Secondly, we'll fix the DAC.

- Look the song file. You will see that the instrument 02 is Kick, and 03 is Snare.

- In DAC assignments, Instrument 1 will go with DAC Sample 81, and Instrument 2 will go with Sample 82 (look in the music guide in SonicRetro to see the what are the samples)

And lastly, we'll fix the FM.

Listen the song. Instrument 01 is used as bass, and 04 as lead.

- Go to Voice Manager, and open BigPack.x3i.

- If you listen the song, you may select the appropiate voice. If you are not sure what to use, you may preview the voice.

- In this song for example, the bass, may be FingerBass, and the lead may be Organ1.

- Add these two in that order.

- In more parameters -> FM Voice Assignments. Instrument 4 will use Voice 01.

And, thats all! click on "Convert Song", and just add the converted file to your disassembly

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011
  2. M3k

M3k h4x Member

Although I've learned XM porting by myself (with some help actually :blink: ), my ports are still awful.

Nice guide anyway. Might I add that SOME (Sonic one music editor) has a voice preview feature, which can be extremely useful.

3. hakiwad

hakiwad Newcomer Member

Thank you so much for this guide! It has helped me do what I have been waiting to do since I started hacking! THANK YOU!!!!

4. bareirito

bareirito Well-Known Member Member

I have learned about smps porting by myself, but I still had some things not cleared enough. I found this guide useful for starters. Thank you! Now I can proceed and improve my music hacking.

5. bareirito

bareirito Well-Known Member Member

Sorry for the double post, but there's something that confuses me.

In the XM the second FM channel is referred as channel 3 so why I have to select instrument number 4? (Sorry if I sound noobish).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.