Sonic 1: More Edition (DEMO)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by MGHACKS, Sep 1, 2019.

?

Do you want this game to be in the SHC 2019 when the final demo comes out?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2019.
  1. Yes!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No :(

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. MGHACKS

MGHACKS November 9th 2019 is something... Member

Hey there ppl,

I've started a new hobby: creating sonic hacks. So the first hack I've made is called Sonic 1 More Mode and that is why I'm here to show you but before you ask, why is it just the normal Sonic 1 rom but you added moves, new music, and new features but the levels are the same. It is because it's not done. Over this and next month, I'll be improving the hack by changing level layouts, special stage layouts, and pallet swap and to try hard and put something unique to it. Anyways, enjoy and tell me what you think. If you want to post gameplay on YouTube, I really don't mind as long as you credit me by the name 'MGHacks'

In this game, new features are:
    Spindash
    Super Peelout
    New sprites for goalpost and Sonic who looks like if Classic Sonic went into Sonic Advance series
    New music
    All bugs and features are fixed
    Air and Speed Cap removed
    and more

Bugs:
    Scrap Brain Zone Act 2 to 3 cutscene doesn't work for some reason. Sonic dies and is taken back to Act 2

After defeating the Labyrinth Zone boss and freeing the animals, the game just crashes. I don't know why or how but it'll be fixed asap.

The title screen takes you to the level select rather than the game, something else to work on

Credits to the following people that provided resources to make this hack:
    Everyone who collaborated to the SCHG Hacking Guide on SonicRetro (i.e redhotsonic, MarkeyJester, nineko, etc)
    Music ported such as Shinobi III, Sonic Crackers, Sonic 3 and Knuckles from the SMPS Research Pack
    Other music found online but forgot the names of who created it and who I downloaded it to
    Hivebrain for his disassembly
    Super PeelOut is from my code
    Sonic sprites from The Ultimate Sonic 1 Sheet
    Signpost ported from Sonic CD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. jubbalub

jubbalub Mania fanboy Member

OuricoDoido is a well-known code stealer. His "open-source project" is stolen code from various hacks cobbled together, and the website he runs harbors a ridiculous amount of stolen stuff. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't know this, so I suggest you remove all of his code before things get messy. The hacking scene doesn't take stealing lightly.

Also, it might be a good idea to avoid using music packs you downloaded randomly from the Internet. Those have a tendency to be stolen as well.

3. MGHACKS

I've heard many people were saying that's he's a thief or something and his post on his website seemed legit until you told me the truth. I'll attempt to remove his resources but trying to remove the Sonic 2 title menu will be difficult and results in the hack not compiling properly so I'll keep it to not take the risk of a broken hack.

Also, I'm really bad at playing around at midi and it takes a while to compose it but I just don't have the time to do it. I'll try to avoid it for now.

Overall, I'll try my best at avoiding these two otherwise I'm a thief from a thief.

jubbalub likes this.
  4. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

With the thing about the removing the Sonic 2 title screen menu breaking your hack, it's probably because you're not removing or changing the code that links to it. When you remove it, make sure you get rid of all traces of it and change any code for the title screen to adapt to it's removal or just flat out revert it back to way it was originally. It really shouldn't be that difficult to remove stuff from your hack. If you get errors, it usually means you missed something or accidentally deleted something that had nothing to do with what you removed.

Natsumi likes this.
  5. Iso Kilo

Iso Kilo Hater of all things Git Member

Based on what I've read this just looks like another generic ROM hack. There needs to be a unique gimmick or element to gain my interest.

Clownacy likes this.
  6. Novedicus

Novedicus Pour your misery down on me Member

I'm honestly surprised that ASMtoSegaGenesis is even still around at this point. It should be noted that the way the boards there are all spammed up should be a pretty good indicator to stay away.

As for the hack, after reading the description, it's really more just expo material. Pretty much most newbies I've seen learning to modify code make this kind of hack to start out with.

Try to do something unique with it, and it'll have a better chance of being put into the contest. I do have this to say regarding moveset: Sometimes less is more.

7. MGHACKS

I've just reorganized the code to made it steal-proof. Here is the proper demo.

Also, its my first romhack tbh. I've just started doing this and it'll take time to get used to stuff. This took me a week with breaks. If you want me to improve the rom, then wait till the end of this month or next month, OK?

Attached Files:

ProjectFM likes this.
  8. Iso Kilo

Iso Kilo Hater of all things Git Member

Yeah, after playing it, there's really nothing notable here. It's more of a generic Sonic 1 ROM hack than Sonic the Hackable which was originally called A Generic Sonic 1 ROM Hack. You need to add something that'll catch people's interest other than "Spindash, Peelout, music ports."

9. MGHACKS

I will see what I can do

10. DevCion

DevCion Err, what I write here ?? Member

Man, you can make new moves, invent or anything that makes your change a little more original.

Your hack looks pretty simple for SHC 2019.

11. Dj. Joker 27

Dj. Joker 27 Known as "Mr. Joker 27" Member

I don't know why the Ring SFX is in mono effect, I listen a lot of repeated songs, the hack it's very simple, some songs has got glitches with the PSG. This is not for the SHC2019, try to improve more gimmicks, new levels design, learn, not only you must upload a hack with repeated musics.
    The majority of the newcommers makes the same thing, try to publish this on Ramdon/Minihack project thread.
    I'm not being rude, just you must focused on think other new ideas and more.

kenny0989 likes this.
  12. jubbalub

jubbalub Mania fanboy Member

Give us some modified levels and maybe you'll have something worthwhile to show off, but right now you aren't giving us a reason to be interested. I have faith in you, though :)

13. Jdpense

Jdpense Custom Title Member

I would like to note that this hack doesn't work on Regen, right after I press start on the title screen, the game crashes as it fades to black.

So after I tried this out on Fusion, there's not changed much changed here for me to consider this worthwhile, like how everyone else stated here. I hate to say it, but this hack in it's current state, for me, feels like it's near the same level of quality of hacks from SHC 2016, since a lot of those hacks from that contest had little to nothing changed. Although, I will commend you for properly implementing some of the sprites for Sonic.

I guess you can thank me, Electroball, and SonicVaan for keeping that site alive... =P Although I will admit that I think spamming on an inactive board without an admin or mod is great, since I think spamming is a great way to take out anger...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  14. MGHACKS

Yeah, I tested it on my S8+ using MD.EMU and some zones crashes. So probably, I'll use music from Genesis titles rather than people porting music to SMPS to see if that works and thanks for the positive note on my sprites.

I'll attempt to make a zone demo to see what you think.

I was using MarkyJester's Optimized Sound Pack that came with one of his sound drivers that I used. If you think it's bad I'll switch over to the original.

It's just a demo and I already mentioned about change that I'll be doing over the month or two, so stay tuned.

And just a quick update, since I use a Mac, having me switch from my Windows 2000 to 7 VM, some apps I use originally use don't work and my hack is all screwed, so I'll be remaking my demo again but with better apps but don't worry, I'll upload it over the month. Also if you think my English sucks, say thanks to Grammarly.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Dj. Joker 27 and DevCion like this.
  15. Dj. Joker 27

Nah, but for a better quality I recommend put the Ring stereo SFX, but good, I love Sonic sprites, I can offer help with musics if you want.

16. Natsumi

Natsumi Phoenix egg Member

But JDP what bout me? :(

Oh right, the hack? Don't worry about releasing something to SHC too soon or by making the best hack ever™️, but focus on learning the basics at your own pace and show off your work when its actually ready. We here very much believe that showing off half-baked ideas is not really worth it and makes you work look like it was thrown together, in the worst case in a blender and shown off just because you have too much enthusiasm. You can only be one the best by practicing a lot and by observing how everyone else because 'famous' or 'excellent at what they do', not by throwing things out blindly hoping something sticks. Learn the community, learn from people better than you, but most importantly, learn from your previous self.

17. MGHACKS

If you want to help with music, I really don't mind you helping.

I'm trying to be as easy as possible with my hack. At first, I really want to get into the contest to be the center of highlight for the community, but that's almost everyone's dream. Even though by the time I'll upload the hack before the deadline, it'll just be total garbage and will look like something created in the early 2010s to the late 2000s. I only want to post my hack to show the possibilities that I can do. Over time, the hack will be better if I got a lot of practice and faith in myself.

18. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 Eduardo Knuckles Member

Did @kenny0989 send you the SMPS you used in your Star Light Zone? If not, why didn't you credit him?

I know all these songs used in this hack, although I was unable to figure where they were taken from and not even how they were obtained. What is this SMPS Research Pack? It's some kind of unauthorized SMPS package which contains music from various romhackers published elsewhere? I never heard about this pack and I curiously would like to know about.

As for the hack itself... most of the code used on it seems, hm, known... I mean... taken from someone who stole them from somewhere, if you comprehend what I mean. Beware of stolen content and people who offer codes all free on the internet. For since a long time ago we know how the Sonic hacking scene was full of thieves who taken various things from hacks in a unauthorized form and used as they wanted. If you see something code-related being offered by someone, go look if this person is the real author of the stuff. If it isn't, contact the original programer immediately and ask him for permission to let you use the code instead of putting yourself in risk by using content that are potentially stolen or leaked by someone. And if I was you, I would really go look to know who did each of these SMPS ports you used and I would credit each author especifically... otherwise, remove them or replace them with something made by yourself or by something that you're authorized to use. Using other people's stuff without giving the proper credits is basically like stealing something in my opinion, at least looking through the years of experience the Sonic hacking scene gave me with this.

As a council, I'd suggest you to not to go through those guys to take the stuff you're going to use. Sonic Retro, Sonic Research along as other known part of the Sonic Hacking community is full of thieves who ended banned because used stuff and didn't ask their authors for use or stole them straight from their projects. Be careful.

kenny0989 and Dj. Joker 27 like this.
  19. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/valley-bells-smps-research.32473/
    It contains almost every song from games released for the Genesis that use the SMPS driver. It's really convenient for porting music into your hack because you don't have to look through a game's entire file to look for a song you want to use.
    (By the way, this can be found with a quick Google search)

20. Dj. Joker 27

No problem partner, good luck with the hack and I hope more effort with this.
    Don't forget give credits about the things that you have or you want you use on your hack about other people.