Sonic 1 - The Enhanced Special Stage Experience

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Selbi, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Inspired by MegaGWolf's most recent Sonic Hack Showcase of Sonic 1 Painto Edition 2, I present to you:

Sonic 1 - The Enhanced Special Stage Experience

[​IMG]

This was created using Mercury's ReadySonic kit.

A little last-minute, I know, but I wanted to get this out.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
  2. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

3. Selbi

The original title of this hack was "MegaGWolf's Favorite Special Stage Hack", which I made just for him and also only sent to him. I didn't want to make it public until he showcased it, but since I don't watch streams I didn't notice he did it there instead of his main channel (how dare he!). With this peculiar day around the corner I thought to say whatever, fix a few things, and release it anyway. Didn't noticed he actually showcased it yesterday. :V

Also, I've used a ring-replacement algorithm, while I assume you directly edited the special stage. The HUD was also technically easy. What really slowed me down was ReadySonic, and not because of itself, but because of it using the new Sonic 1 disassembly. When even the most fundamental label you've grown up with and used for a decade suddenly get thrown overboard, half of the development time was used just to find what some label X from the 2005 disassembly is called in the new one. It's bs.

4. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

Yeah, mine was just a small Special Stage edit and some quick code changes to automatically go to the Special Stage at the title screen and then return to the sega screen after it was over. Yours is a lot more extensive a change. :U

5. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I don't understand why you had such a problem with the SVN disassembly. Isn't that what you developed Erazor on?

6. Selbi

No, I used the 2005 disassembly (because, if I remember correctly, the SVN version didn't even exist when I started that project). What I meant by "SVN Changelog" is that I actually used Subversion to develop ERaZor, mostly as a backup and diary system though, as I did 95% of the commissions anyway.

7. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

@Selbi: Not bad on what you did for this. it actually provides a bit more of a challenge in getting the emeralds, plus I also like the idea of replacing the rings with diamonds. regardless of this being a basic hack, it's a pretty good one, but that's to be expected coming from you of course.

@Cinossu: Just watched Gwolf's stream of your version as well. His reaction was just priceless XD.

8. Selbi

I highly doubt there's any increased challenge. All the GOAL blocks are replaced with harmless blocks. You could literally beat all the special stages just by enabling fast forward and waiting a very long time. :V

9. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.