Sonic 2 Nick Arcade Disassembly

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by SuperEgg, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Well Ladies and gents, It seems I have 1 post left, and since this is VERY important, I've decided it is time to release it. As most of you know, there already is a Sonic 2 Nick Arcade Disassembly, but it is quite large, and contain all the files , in hex form, in the main asm. So I've taken the liberty of making it possible to edit. Here are the current changes

- Separated 99% of art files from the main asm and have been bin'd. You're Welcome :D

- It is now possible to edit the levels in SonED 2. After trying to ask the community and playing around with project files, I have mad custom ones that are now editable. Please Note, I have not figured out GHZ, so it is not included.

- Separated most of the objects, and started to put them in corresponding folders to where they are categorized. In the next release, it will be complete.

- Due to the fact the music is EXACTLY THE SAME AS SONIC 1, including the way it is written, in fact, it is copy and pasted from Sonic 1, I have just replaced the files with the Sonic 1 files, no difference really.

Please note, it is not 100 % separated, and some of the objects in SonED 2 have incorrect names for certain objects, I will fix that later as well. Otherwise, the disassembly can be assembled to make a rom, and as proof, it includes a built rom for those who want to test it out. Also, I have a personal list of things that will be needed to be fixed, but by all means, please feel free to let me know if I missed any. I hope this contribution will help the community. Thank you for your time.

Here is the download link. Please feel free to ask any questions.

edit: Here is the current release of it as of now.

s2NA.zip

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2011
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Hah, cool stuff, congratulations on creating something for community to enjoy, in fact, I should link this to that other thread =)

EDIT Congratulations on becoming a member also =P

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  3. SuperEgg

Thank you Markey Jester. I've been working on this for about a month, and decided it was high time I presented it to the community. Like I said though, I am currently in the process of making it more user friendly, or svn friendly. So in about 2 weeks, I will present a more finished version of said disassembly.

4. Gardeguey

Gardeguey Well-Known Member Member

arrrrrrrg I was making the same thing:

Download my version of S2NA Disassembly

The big difference are the RAM constants, some comments and renamed some labels

but yeah, another member is not bad.

5. SuperEgg

It's all good, it is good to have 2 different versions, just in case somebody doesn't like mine, they can use your version, or vice versa. It makes hacking a whole lot easier. Out of curiosity, since I haven't completely read through the whole thing, when level editing, are the level pieces, chunks, tiles, blocks, ect, in the original format, or did you compress them in a different way for easier loading into SonED 2?

6. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

this is all awesome stuff... what a treat to come back to - going to have some fun with both of these !!!

7. Gardeguey

Gardeguey Well-Known Member Member

Untouched. they are the same.

Also, I haven't made the Project files >_>

8. SuperEgg

Cool, wait no project files? It's all good. I looked through your disassembly, it looks pretty cool.

9. SuperEgg

Opps, seems I had made a few mistakes on the files. Long story short, if you tried to edit the levels in SonED2, and when you built it with the edits, you'll notice that you collision doesn't work, seems I forgot to change a setting or 2 in the project files. So with that said, I'm uploading a new version of said Disassembly. Please note some minor changes I've made so far.

- As stated above, I have fixed the SonED 2 Project files so that the collision saves properly.

- Added the fix for Labyrinth Zone so that it is now possible to add levels over it's place.

- Properly labeled the Level Size Array for your convenience.

- Made GHZ partially playable by adopting the main collision system. Due note, this is incomplete, and most probably won't be final.

- Also, for your convenience, I have added path switchers into CPZ. It is not complete, but now CPZ, when built, can be explored further without the use of debug mode.

Here is the update

s2NA.zip

Attached Files:

10. Dark Lips

Ahh awesome... I was just starting to add levels in and was having a few issues, maybe this will cure them.

11. SuperEgg

If it was collision problems, it was because the collision settings on the project files were set so that the compression is saved in Kosinski instead of Uncompressed. I could have just released the fixed project files in theory, but decided to release the whole thing again because of the few little changes in the disassembly.

12. Dark Lips

yea this fixed my colision problems but I am now having garbled level tiles... I think it might have something to do with plc's

13. SuperEgg

Can you send me a screen shot of this problem. I've never encountered this problem before.

14. SuperEgg

Ok ladies and gents, seems it almost that time of the year, no not school (for guys on my side of the pond) and Labor riots. No, it is time for a disassembly update. So, before I decide to release (hopefully for the last time) a more advanced and updated version, I need to know, do you guys like the idea of having ram address labels within the code? The upside is that you can port stuff from Sonic 2 Final without any much issue. And since this will be the final release, I will try to get this one at Retro SVN for the Retro users on here... don't know how, but I will find someway. Anywho, any opinons?

Btw, I am very sorry for this topic bump. Not

15. theocas

theocas #! Member

Never, RAM equates suck dick. Using equates like the S2 disasm is pure idiocity and just makes no sense. And it pisses the fuck out of me since a simple comment would do the job and save me time in trying to look up what the RAM address does.

16. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

I don't know about you, but when programming I prefer to name my variables rather than give them numbers.

17. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

It's all about "growing up" with some disassembly. When you worked with the 2005 one for many years, of course there is no point in replacing it by RAM equates. If you, however, just started with hacking, the SVN version might be a better choice. But after all, it's all just a matter of opinion.

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The reason for their existance is many things which range from porting code, right down to remembering addresses, with equates you can port code from one game/engine to another whilst only having to change the values to the equates rather than every line with a ram address.

On the other hand, it can become a knowledge and a hardware risk, I remember debugging code for someone a while back, it took hours to discover that he was moving word sized data to an odd address, something that would've been prevented (or something I would've been able to debug much quickly) had it been the real value rather than an equate.

There are reasons for and against having equates but just as Selbi said, it is a matter of opinion and personal productive use, point being though, they do make sense and do have a good use.

19. SuperEgg

Seems I can never stray to far from this topic, but I need some help. Does anybody know how to make SonLVL files? Seems I've gotten a few requests to make compatible with SonLVL, so, can anybody help?

20. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

I know how to make SonLVL INI files.

Actually, if it's different enough from any one game, I could add a separate entry for S2NA-type games.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.