Why am I promoting SEGA?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by MarkeyJester, Jan 7, 2017.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Let's be honest here, we all leave the SEGA slash ident in our hacks, and in many cases, we make improvements or even changes to it, and in the extreme of cases, we actually go through the effort to put it in where it isn't present.

I suspect that, just like me, you probably have one of several reasons for this, and some are usually depicted depending on the hack/fangame/project in question.

Do you:

• Leave the logo in there, because you cannot be bothered to remove it.
    • Leave the logo in there, because it's a novelty and adds to the nostalgia.
    • Leave the logo in there, because of SEGA's efforts towards making the original game you are hacking, or basing the game off of.
    • Edit the logo, because it's the best way for you to practise making idents or splash screens of your own.
    • Edit the logo, because it looks tacky, and you think you could make a better one, or do a much better job.
    • Edit the logo, because you want it to be a specific style that refers to the game/hack in question.
    • Edit the logo, because every Sonic game had a slight difference to the logo, and you feel to continue that trend.
    • Edit the logo, because it would be cool to shock people with a brand new type of logo that they totally wouldn't expect, after playing many projects that did not edit it at all.
    • Repace the logo with another SEGA logo from another game, because you preferred that version and/or want to make the point that they should have gone with that one because it's cooler.
    • Replace the logo with a different name/logo, but in the same style, because you like the style, but want people to know it's a different group working on it altogether, and don't feel that another logo is necessary, when this can both show your appreciation to SEGA, and show your own group in one final swoop, and yes I know this is specific, but fuck you, I felt like making one of these a super huge paragraph for the comical aspect, and stay true to my name as "Jester".
    • I don't really care at all, I just want to make a hack, and really don't find editing (or removing) the logo to be worth my time.
    It could be that like me, you have different reasons depending on the hack. Like, sometimes I don't care about removing/editing the logo, because the hack is nothing more than a concept, or a joke, or whatever. Sometimes I like to make little touches to it, just for the cool factor, and shamefully admitting here, I sometimes like to show off~ Sometimes I want the style to fit in with the title screen, and transition to that immediately.

What about you?

EMK-20218 and HackGame like this.
  2. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Hello, happy new year for everyone here.

In my last hack (Sonic & Ashuro), i simply deleted the SEGA logo, so the hack start with the SSRG splash screen and my AFTERLIFE splash screen.
    I have also deleted almost all of "Sonic Team" or "SEGA" presence.

But, in my previous hacks, i leave the SEGA logo "because of SEGA's efforts towards making the original game you are hacking, or basing the game off of".

3. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

4. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Yes, I think a Sonic game wouldn't be complete without it. At one point I even wanted to replace the Sega screen in my hack with a replica of the one from the Game Gear version of Sonic 1, which is probably the Sega screen I love the most:
    [​IMG]

KCEXE likes this.
  5. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

For KEH, I left it in, because despite all of my changes, there's still a lot of Sonic 2 left in it, but I changed the sprite and sample to Knuckles/Tikal to fit the hack, and as another Sonic Adventure DX reference.

For everything else I just leave it because I feel like I never really change enough to make it a whole new game.

6. Trinitronity

Trinitronity Well-Known Member Member

I replaced the old Sega logo in Pikachu the Mouse with the more generic Sega logo, just to make the game look even MORE like a generic Sonic clone that wants a piece of that sweet platformer pie.

MegaGWolf: "It's so good!"

NoneofyourBusiness likes this.
  7. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

I keep the Sega logo in my hacks because they made the original game I'm working off of. It would be kind of shitty to remove it as it is their original code that's being messed with.

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

I typically keep the SEGA logo, but edit it to reflect the hack in some way (like implementing the color change gimmick or the Drowning Sound Effect after the "Sega" sound effect in Color Contrast, or UMZ respectively). The reasoning for the subtlety is half because of nostalgia and paying homage to the original, and half because of low priority/effort for it in the first place.

MarkeyJester likes this.
  9. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

If there is a reason why I kept the SEGA logo in my work, it's just because I think the original authors of the original game should be respected. Sonic The Hedgehog is their intellectual property, after all. I don't personally change anything into it, though, perhaps the sound into something random but that's it, just because... I don't know, there is no special reason after that. However, I admit that having a different-looking and functioning SEGA screen gives the game a more unique introduction and is a neat complement. Who doesn't get impressed at seeing a fancy logo while people generally leave it as it is?

10. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

• Leave the logo in there, because of SEGA's efforts towards making the original game you are hacking, or basing the game off of.
    I could not imagine stealing credit from the ones that did the real work. It's only fair. I like to keep various names in the credits as well.

M.N.K. likes this.
  11. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

I've left the SEGA logo in my hack due to these reasons:
    • Leave the logo in there, because you cannot be bothered to remove it.
    • I don't really care at all, I just want to make a hack, and really don't find editing (or removing) the logo to be worth my time.
    SEGA made the original game so I want to credit them, but I can't really be bothered to change it at this point in time because there are more pressing parts of a hack to deal with than a logo.

LordXernom and Jdpense like this.
  12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

• Edit the logo, because you want it to be a specific style that refers to the game/hack in question.

Since Sonic 2 Recreation, I like to use the simple SEGA logo and chant, then redhotsonic run into it, making each letter fly into the air and then fall. I use this to indicate that it's going to be a hack from me (as simple as the splash screen is). I've used it in Sonic Bash as well. I didn't with Sonic 2 Time Attack because I wanted to keep that as close to vanilla Sonic 2, and I didn't in RedHotSonic 2 because we didn't ASM hack back then.

But I always leave it as SEGA because, well, they are behind the Sonic franchise after all.

13. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

I usually keep the Sega logo as a form of credit. They did the original game and the whole series and no matter how big my contribution is, I don't feel like claiming everything as my own work. I edit/replace it more rarely, I did it in 2 hacks so far. In SSQ I've connected the Sega logo with my splash screen and in Robotnik's Plan B I replaced it with Eggman logo and voice sample.

LordXernom likes this.
  14. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

I edited SEGA logo in Tails Adventure LX to promote myself and my nickname. Also I wanted to extend scale of edits in my hack. To summarize overall, I edited it to showcase major changes in hack and putted effort.