So here, I'm introducing my hack, Sonic ERaZor, an (almost) ASM-Only hack, I've been working on for a good year now. The funny thing is, most of the things you will see here are made within the last 3 months, simply because:
If I have ideas, I can usually implent them without a problem. But I rarly have good ideas. So I can say: This is a totally goal-less hack! And in the last 3 months, I finally had goals.
But whatever, I'll just go straight into the action by showing you some screenshots:
My custom Splash-Screen, completly with palette flashing and a big white flash to add the "Presents". Awesome, isn't it?
The regular Sonic 1 title screen. Or is it? Besides the fact, you see some minor art changes, check out in-game.
Yeah, guess what happened this one day.
That's right, Sonic's getting pwned by a Buzz Bomber. (Note, this is a cutscene, not a level.)
OMG original level names.
Crabmeat, my favorite enemy. This is why he has been turned into a mini-boss (Btw, am I the first one who changed a regular enemy, still using the same object ID ($1F) into a boss?)
This special staeg is insane. If you can beat it without save states, you win a cookie.
This is the original GHZ Act 1, except for having one difference: The boss at the end (though it's almost the same as the original GHZ boss.)
What? 4 Sonics? Well actually, it's the problem of afterimage, since screenshots can't make them flashing (except if I use gifs, which I will, for the love of god, not do).
What you see here is the so-called inhuman mode, to be activated by destroying an S-monitor. In this mode, Sonic is... crazy. When you are in GHZ (there are 2 hidden S monitors) you CAN'T DIE, howsoever. You can get crushed, you can be hit by enemies or even fall down bottomless pits. Nothing will harm you.
But in MZ, they are more like something bad. Sonic can shoot balls, which hit himself, to fly upwards (like you do on a regular death) by pressing A. This is important, because you may not touch the ground too long, as it will reduce your rings (when you have no left, you'll die). You also may not touch spikes when you are in MZ; they'll kill you instantly.
So you could say, this is really some kind of a hard game.
This is some kind of demo, I give you here. The other Zones and acts are still included, but only accessable using the level select (code is the original one).
List of some other things (because the list is huge, I'll just type down here, what I get in my mind at the moment):
- MANY minor art changes
- New music (not a single song of it was made by me. Major thanks to EduardoKnuckles, SOTI and ESE Sound Importer)
- Spindash and custom Peelout
- Jumpdash, Double Jump, Down Dash and Homing Attack
- Custom Enemies (Note: The Buzz Bombers can't be destroyed, except if you have the inhuman mode and do a jumpdash. They are meant to be annoying. =P)
- Slightly custom GHZ and FZ boss
- New Credits text
- Ported S3's ring attracting thing (but not the shield yet, as I know a fuck about art)
And way, WAY more stuff.
- Here's a video of GHZ 1 + 2, which is, however, outdated as hell.
- Here's a video of MZ1 and its inhuman mode part.
- And here GHZ's gameplay, made by another member.
- Left, right, up, down should be clear
- B, C jump (A does nothing, but I had to disable it)
- Jump in-air, Homing attack or jumpdash
- Up + Jump in air, double jump (THIS MOVE IS IMPORTANT!!!)
- Down + Jump in air, down dash
Credits and Thanks:
- Me, for almost everything, ASM, art...
- cloudiar, for letting me use his old level layouts
- MarkeyJester, for being a damn awesome ASM teacher and helper (and for giving me his old homing attack code)
These are the major guys. The rest is in the in-game credits.
Feedback, comments, critism, bug reports... anything is open now.
(Side note: Thanks to Eduardo Knuckles to host my files. Our home server failed.)
Edited by Selbi, 27 January 2010 - 06:10 PM.