Site revamp underway...

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Qjimbo, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

Hi all,

For a while I've been working on a new SSRG site that has some cool new features, so I thought I'd give you guys an update!

Firstly, everything is going to be based around an "SSRG Passport", which allows you to upload your hacks and other content using your username and password from the forum.

The hacks section of the new site is currently called "Hacktube", and the concept is simple, it's basically Youtube for your hacks. Hacks can be played live inside the browser, and you can rate and post comments in a youtube style. I'm also considering a "featured reviews" section allowing people to give full in depth reviews of hacks.

The utilities section will also be revamped in a similar manner, with a version history and friendlier uploading abilities. Video tutorials and guides will also be integrated into the site in this way.

I'm also working on a level map viewer in the style of google maps, allowing you to zoom and pan around by using a hand to grab.

Another idea which I would love to do is a zone times section of the site, however unlike other sites, we would distribute a custom version of Gens, or Gens addon, which would upload your times to the server automatically. This would also be tied to your SSRG Passport.

Anyway stay tuned, stuff is happening and I'm hoping to get a preliminary version of the new site online soon!

~Q

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  2. Nicogens

Nicogens Actually trying this time for real Member

Brilliant, I will wait.

3. Sephiroth

Sephiroth WHY SO CURIOUS?!? Member

That sounds brilliant. One suggestion though.

So that we don't get billions of people signing up JUST to play the hacks, why not make it so that only regular members can play, so we don't have shitloads of trial members just to play the games.

4. Qjimbo

Oh yeah, playing hacks will be entirely public, I thought that was obvious... you don't have to register to look at videos on youtube.

Though perhaps a Private option in the style of youtube would be good too.

5. SeanieB

SeanieB Dude! Root Admin

Sounds really great, can't wait to watch the project grow and explode into a storm of popularity and holy crap this is cool kinda stuff, It sounds like it's well on it's way. ;)

(btw post 60 =P)

6. Sephiroth

Sephiroth WHY SO CURIOUS?!? Member

I'm actually quite curious as to how you are going to be able to pull of being able to play hack inside the browser. Care to shed some light on this?

7. Qjimbo

It's a surprise!

8. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

I gather some sort of java-based emulator. I know one exists for Game Boy systems, so there's probably one for Genesis as well. Interesting concept, nonetheless.

Times are probably best left to The Sonic Center. However, I like the level map viewer concept--it can probably be used interactively in tutorials and such. I think it's a positive step forward that the site is finally going to focus on ROM hacking primarily, since that was always its forte; focus on innovative concepts, walkthroughs, and support of newcomers is a very good way to establish this site's purpose, as well as introduce newbies to the hacking scene. Not everybody is fit for, say, Sonic Retro, so it's important to have a place that will take them in and help them grow, as this forum did for me many years ago.

Glad to see this SSRG return to its roots. I'm eager to see the direction this is taken in. ;)

9. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Sounds really interesting. How long have you had this planned for and has any of it been done or just started on the idea?

10. Qjimbo

It's getting there, I've had this idea for months, just I didn't want to announce anything until I'd made significant progress, since vaporware sucks.

11. RatedRStarr

RatedRStarr Rated R Superstar Member

I hope everything goes well and we get to see some new stuff.

12. Qjimbo

I'm aiming to get this done by the weekend, so I'm basically working 24/7 on the new website.

This does mean however I may not be available to moderate the forums or help in any of the other projects I'm involved in, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Anyway keep checking, hopefully I'll have it done very soon! I also have a little idea to help promote hacktube, but I'm not sure if it will be feasible, we'll see!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.