Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Why I tried ediing the title menu for RHS2 years ago, we never had SonMapED lol. Might give it a try in the near future though =P

2. Sinkdude

Sinkdude He looked much leaner on TV Member

Hello. I'm trying hard to port the Coconuts and Shellcracker badniks into Sonic 1, but I kinda forgot how to get it right. Can you show me the right way to do badnik porting?

3. SuperSonicX

SuperSonicX Newcomer In Limbo

I need help looping my spindash sprites, The end of the animation tells it to loop ($FF) but after running the animation once in the game the animation freezes (until I press A again). The reason I edited them is to merge the spindust and the spindash sprites because the dust was being corrupted. Here is my current animation routine:

Code:
    SonicAni_Spindash: dc.b   0,$58,$59,$5A,$5B,$5C,$5D,$75,$76,$77,$78,$79,$80, $FF

One of my sprites:

[​IMG]

4. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

IIRC, you have to use FE instead of FF. Try something like $FE, 6

5. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

You really should just relocate the spindash art to somewhere in the VRAM that is not being used, or find out why it is being overwritten.

Merging the art for Sonic and the dust like that is just kind of hackish and might look odd once in motion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011
  6. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

I agree with Rika, though to answer the question, the problem is most likely related to the sonic_animate subroutine, there's probably a bmi after the sprite number is loaded (in this case, precisely a negative number: $80) which leads directly or indirectly to an RTS. So the routine ends there and the next value isn't loaded, so the animation stops there.

7. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

FF ends an animation script, FE loops an animation script, and a value after that tells it how many frames to loop back by.

I.E $78, $79, $80, $FE, $02 will run as $78, $79, $80, $79, $80, $79 etc

Make sure that there are an even number of bytes as well in the script. The example above would cause all of the code to be thrown to odd addresses. However, adding $0 after the $2 will correct that and keep things even.

8. SuperSonicX

Okay but what if I want the whole animation to loop again, it is 12 frames (SpinF1 + Dust1, SpinF2 + Dust1, SpinF3+Dust2, etc. so instead of a $02, $0 put a $12, $0. But I did that and my animation still wont loop.

9. StephenUK

It wouldn't be $12, it'd be $C (12 in hex)

10. SuperSonicX

It still wont loop, maybe should I put a part in my spindash code to replay the animation when It finishes (based of the enemy routine to delete it when it blows up :D ). I have another question, what would I write as a line of asm to test for a negative vertical velocity value im trying to use sonic cd's spring and falling animation. I am also trying to keep it when I walk of a ledge (I know how to do that.).

Here's my spindash animation again,

Code:
    SonicAni_Spindash: dc.b   0,$58,$59,$5A,$5B,$5C,$5D,$75,$76,$77,$78,$79,$80,$FE,$C,0

And a video (part 1 is the spindash problem, part 2 is the falling issue.)

[​IMG]

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The animation script does now allow frames that are negative (80 to FF), it sees any negative value as a flag, where FF, FE and FD are used while the rest are blank and do nothing, that's why your animation won't animate properly.

12. StephenUK

Shouldn't it go $78, $79, $7A? You just from $79 to $80 which is skipping 6 frames. Make it $7A and you'll probably find it'll work. What Markey said is also true, $7F is the highest you can go in frame IDs.

13. SuperSonicX

THANK YOU SO MUCH I DIDNT NOTICE THAT NOW IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

14. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

Does anyone know how I can convert MIDI to XM.

I can't find the XM export on openMT and the only other program I can find isn't compatible with windows 7.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

15. redhotsonic

If you mean that un4seen's MID2XM converter, you can get it to work with Windows 7 if you have Windows XP Mode Virtual PC installed, although you must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode. I have Ultimate so I was lucky.

But even then, I couldn't get that MID2XM converter to work; the converted XM file seem to be empty at all times. But you may have better luck.

As for OpenMT, I also have this problem; cannot find the option to get it to convert to XM.

Have you tried ValleyBell's MID2SMPS converter? I've been using this recently and it's quite decent, although I'm still learning with it.

16. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

Yeah I did mean that but I wont use it if I can get MIDI to SMPS to work. I'm surprised this wasn't thought of in the first place but I don't know much about MIDI, XM or SMPS so I don't know if XM is easier to convert or what. Thanks for those links RHS!

17. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

[​IMG]

^ Um, you mean this? =)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011
  18. redhotsonic

How? What? Where's that bit located to? I can't find it whenever I want to save the file or anything. =P

Anyway, I heard it's bad to use OpenMT to convert to XM as the channels come out of sync or something?

19. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

[​IMG]

^ There you go. =)

Also, that's why you have to fix the broken tempo. I made a guide on this a while ago. It's not so bad once you get used to it. =)

20. redhotsonic

Nice, I will give this a go at the weekend and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the advice.