Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

I may sound a bit like an idiot here, but maybe using the Music Pointer Fixer will work, albeit a bit inaccurate.

Assuming you have the necessary .bin files :|

2. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

@Joenick: Did you try other disassemblies? And did you try to type the lines manually in the command prompt (or whatever its name)? Maybe that way you could know which one isn't working.

3. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

Spiritulnsanum, i was PMed by Joenick stating that it was indeed a Win32 folder mishap. I sent him a copy of the dis. and it worked afterwards.

4. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Been there, done that. Still crashes like a bitch

5. Alriightyman

Alriightyman I'm back! Member

S2F pointers are offset by $1380 and S2B are $8000 iirc.  It's been a while since I worked with music manually.  You did remember that S2F are Saxman compressed right?

6. Alpha

Alpha Newcomer Trialist

Does anyone knows how to add an extra character to S3&K?,sorry if the question is not...you know basic like the topic is titled...

7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

Adding another character to S3K isn't going to be easy, IIRC Hayate had problems adding Amy to his hack. S3K is pretty fragile, and the current disassembly isn't labeled well so it'll be very difficult to modify anything, if you don't know what you're doing. If you're a beginner I highly recommend starting small. Start with Sonic 1, don't expect to do anything big when you first start hacking, it's a learning process that takes time. Edit Sonic's top speed, get a better understanding for 68k asm. If you're not a beginner, take a look at Tails' and Knuckles code. See how the game loads each character, and go on from there.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
  8. Alpha

Alpha Newcomer Trialist

Thanks for the tip.

9. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

How many MBs can Sonic 2 have before it is full?

Edit: My hack is at 4MB.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2013
  10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The ROM space is from 000000 to 3FFFFF on the 68k memory map, that's 4MB, 400000 to 9FFFFF is reserved for the Sega Mega CD and 32x, with A00000 and beyond being fixed and used for the Z80, VDP, rewritable RAM, etc.

Standardly speaking, your limit is 4 MB, however, by not using the Mega CD or 32x, you can have 400000 to 9FFFFF access a further 6MB of ROM space, totaling 10MB, I do believe of course, that a hardware change is required (i.e. the cartridge), as I understand it, it needs to be DTAK'd, this is only going by rumoring knowledge, I haven't tried myself on hardware. When it comes to emulation though, I do believe that very few emulators accept the idea of 400000 to 9FFFFF being accessable to the ROM, so it's probably best to stand clear of it, having a hack that is picky to a specific emulator may discourage people from playing it.

Another known method of expanding on the limited memory, is bankswitching, again though, emulators can be picky.

11. JoenickROS

Hmm sounds challenging too challenging for me to handle. Didnt they do that for Megamix?

12. Alriightyman

Alriightyman I'm back! Member

Also, your ROM may not really be at 4MB.  When you build it, it will have so much as padding.

In the picture, my hack is 2MB, but there is $6DA2A, which is 449066 bytes, worth of padding. So your hack most likely is not 4MB.

/monthly_04_2013/post-199-0-63948800-1366421522_thumb.jpg

Attached Files:

• info.jpg
      info.jpg
      File size:
      49.1 KB
      Views:
  13. JoenickROS

I have $24D77C.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
  14. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

So 2.3MB of your ROM is padding? There are at least three unnecessary 'align' directives in the disassembly marked as 'Filler', replacing them with 'even' may help.

15. JoenickROS

Alright Im glad you guys answered becasue Mike thought we were running out of space and wanted me to start from scratch so we could add checks to everything and save some space and the hacking test deadline is in 3 months so I wouldnt have time for that. Thanks for your info guys and I know this is off topic but im sorry about my attitude this afternoon I was very stressed out. Wont happen again.

Edit: and for my backseat modding I know im not an administrator but I sure acted like one sorry.

16. Mike B Berry

Glad to know I was in the wrong this time. Thats good to know indeed.

17. InfiniteWave

InfiniteWave Veteran Of The Arte & Sword Member

Can someone show me how to move the Sign Post art in Sonic 2 to a different spot in the vram?  For some reason in Hidden Palace the art for springs and spikes won't show but they show in other stages.

18. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

If you're using the Hg disassembly, it's as easy as changing the ArtTile_ArtNem_Signpost constant in s2.constants.asm.

Otherwise, you'll have to change the value written to art_tile(a0) in the signpost's code and the offset the art gets loaded to in the PLC.

19. InfiniteWave

InfiniteWave Veteran Of The Arte & Sword Member

Alright thanks for the help.

20. Mike B Berry

So in the S2NA beta, I've been peeking through Tails' code to figure out why when he dies, he automatically resets from the top of the screen. Since he can't fly yet, I was planning on having his object deleted from the main obj table until the end of the act, or better yet, recalled with his character monitor. Before I actually can do that though, I need to know exactly his object automatically resets like it does.

My question is where does the Death code effect Tails' respawn routine? If there is one that is set up at least

Also, note, I'm using the updated version of the disassembly provided by GardeGuey.