Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  2. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

Oops didn't know i was being that vague, Sorry for that! Thanks for the help anyway.

This is the screen i get when i try to load a project.

[​IMG]

As you can see, a lot of stuff missing/not being opened. 

3. N30member

Ahh, it is so silly question it is very easy to fix. Download and extract one of these disassemblies, split Sonic 1 ROM in it and download SonED2 projects and extract it to disasm's folder. Then apply one of guides above. 

4. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

You should use "" in all cases of separating directories, so it looks for example C:SonED2hacklevelsGHZ1.bin

5. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

If you guys are having so much trouble with SonED2, why not try SonLVL?

6. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

Another nooby question coming up. How do i split my  Sonic 1 rom into my disassembly? 

EDIT: Nevermind i was picking the wrong projects. It works fine now! I thank you all for your help.

7. LooneyDude

LooneyDude Back after a long absence! Member

How do you edit the halfpipe art in the Sonic 2 Special Stage?

8. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

How do i fix Sonic dying at the start of my hack every time i start the level. Even when Sonic is in thin air or on top of a loop where he could not possibly die, he dies.

9. N30member

Explain all your changes, then we can help you.

I thinked he just opened SonED2 project in Sonic1 folder (in SonED2's main directory) without splitting the ROM.

10. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

Sonic dying glitch FIXED.

How do i make loops work? Sonic just runs through half of the loop and falls off the other end.

11. MainMemory

According to the manual, press the spacebar to toggle the loop flag. SonLVL opts for double-click instead, and outlines marked chunks in yellow.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  12. Deadalive

Deadalive Newcomer Trialist

Hello everyone. I am new to hacking though I have dabbled with it before in the past, I have more time on my hands and I have been working on new level art and its going great imo. In order to mix it up, I started working on Sonic's Sprite and imported Standing,idle,walking,hurt,edge, and roll/jump so far. And after testing it ingame they all seem to be fine except the walking which seems all wonky, included are the relevant Sprite files. Any help fixing this would be appreciated. Thank you.Sonic.zip

Attached Files:

13. LooneyDude

I wouldn't bother, because:

1. Sonic 3's Sonic sprites suck (in my opinion).
    2. There are probably more Sonic 1 hacks with those sprites than without them.

14. Eternal Barrel

Eternal Barrel Newcomer Trialist

Ever since I got a flash cart, it's bugged me that there doesn't seem to be any good way to tell whether a hack works on hardware until you try it out. I've tested a lot of hacks and thought I might start a thread with information on which ones work fine, which have problems, and what those problems are. Since I'm new here, though, I just thought I'd ask first whether or not people want to see a thread like that.

15. LooneyDude

i would, but my approval isn't that important, since I'm only a regular member. Check someone like a pro user or an administrator.

16. FFuser

FFuser a.k.a Darklight Member

I think it would be useful though there is a thread related to this already in the sticky. It's locked, so maybe it could be unlocked for this purpose?

http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2885

Also, I'd be grateful if you could test mine.

17. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

You could always use Regen to test out if a hack would work on actual hardware or not. Painto Maniak's hack doesn't work on Regen nor an actual Genesis. (I was actually going to try and play his hack on my Genesis but nope it crashed after the menu screen. :V) I wouldn't mind it myself, it'd make it easier for me when I go to download hacks. :p

18. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

I keep hearing that not even Regen is perfect, and thus not a stand-in for hardware. I think one example was DMA transfers not stopping the Z80.

And yes, I was gutted that I couldn't play Painto Edition. I wasn't expecting my mobile's emulator to be that accurate!

19. MainMemory

Exodus is the best emulator available on PC.

20. FFuser

FFuser a.k.a Darklight Member

Well, up until recently I had a few music tracks that caused a big issue in Regen. Vladikomper explained the issue and gave a quick workaround while I fix the actual tracks, so now it works in Regen as far as I can tell after testing it.

Still though, I think it would be cool to know for sure if my hack works on real hardware, so that people can play it that way if they want to. I try to be as thorough as possible when detecting any problems and play-test extensively on several emulators, but I'm still just one person. The more people that can test with different methods on several platforms, the better chance I have of making the game with as few issues as possible. It's a good opportunity to take advantage of if he's offering imo.

-Not to veer too far off topic, and I apologize if this set of questions is very basic, but I want to know: do I have to get rid of/sacrifice chunks if I want to make new ones in SonLVL (for Sonic 1 and SLZ to be specific, because I'm using all of the current ones from the original game in the layout atm and haven't done new ones yet)?

I have the same concern for making new objects. Can I make any more objects if I already used object slots 1 through 8C for something else?

Basically I want to make a few new things, but I don't want to screw it up by overwriting anything else or using too much memory etc. I don't know what the upper limit is for objects in S1 is and I have a feeling that SLZ is very close to the upper limit of chunk if not using as many chunks as it can already.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014