Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

Alternatively, with a bit more work, one could do what I did in S2: TRoC and have all characters on the same ID, with the character loading itself being determined by Player_mode (it's rather easy to implement in any of the 3 games, in my opinion).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
  2. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I always followed the guide at the retro, & usually works for me (as long as the art don't wind up corrupt)

3. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

The guide at retro is really odd, It requires doing odd things with the sonic object. I think it's causing a serious issue with the way sonic plays in my hack.

4. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I think $FFFFFFFE has something to do with the checksum. I use a different unused ram offset & it worked better.

Strange thing though, with my Option menu, having $FFFFFFFE as character, it only changes to 2 characters, whereas whatever I had then (now $FFFFFFF9) changed through 3. There were other offsets that done this. I was tampering with that Character macro to find one better suited, when I found this oddity

5. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Okay, you can't just use random RAM addresses and then just say 'okay it works'. Figure out where what is. Frankly, don't use guides. They're there to GUIDE you, if they tell you what to do and you have no clue what they do, then learn about how the game works. This is honestly so simple. Everything needs to be the same but just needs to be renamed so the game isn't confused.

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I'd like to go on record in stating that RAM FFFC - FFFF is used for checksum confirmation. Provided the checksum passes in distinction, four bytes are moved to FFFC - FFFF, which are; 49, 4E, 49, and 54, as a long-word of data (this in ASCII is "INIT"). This is to ensure that if the game has been reset (via the soft reset button on the console), the checksum routine is bypassed to save time on reset.

It is an understanding that players don't mind the game taking a few seconds to start up, even after the reset button is pressed. So I'd go about removing the "INIT" specific stuff (not the checksum routine itself mind) and use that space for whatever...

7. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

at least I was right.I (now) don't use the checksum offsets for anything, at the moment.

on another note, I started over with my hack due to too many glitches, Pause locking up the game for instance.

Got sonic 2's art, map, dplc, anim & ported the spindash. Somehow this happened.

I followed all 4 parts, but i know i did something wrong cause i fllow this tutorial when starting over due to agame-breaking bug

8. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

How did you follow all 4 guides if your Spin Dash sound doesn't increase in pitch?

9. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    If that is your only question Clownacy, we've got serious issues =P

10. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

actually excluding anything regarding sound. I don't get how this even occured. I started over, address music, build, this didn't happen. since I have seperate asm files, i have sonic 2's art, map, dplc & anims readded. & since DMA queue is needed for SPLCDMA.asm which is LoadSonicDynPLC with Dma queue, which is why i followed the spindash guide. after finishing up is when this happened. I

retracing my steps,

everything was done right.

so what caused this?

EDIT: just gonna start over (sigh) again.

I must be prone to breaking the game in some way

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
  11. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

How about making backups? How about doing it step per step? How about learning some basic assembly? Okay that last one was me bitching, but seriously. Make some backups, put the art in, see if that works. Then throw the spindash in, step by step, checking to see when you get your problems. Guides are always so finicky, it's better to understand what the guide is telling you to do rather than just 'following' it.

12. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    No Irixion, I second that last notion. If one wishes to be good at what you are trying to do, then learning it would probably help.

Warr1or2, I've seen you post so many times in here asking question on question on issues you're having, which is no problem. But, I'm beginning to notice a pattern, and it seems that a lot of these issues you have posted about, you have posted a question about said issue much earlier, and somebody responded to such. To me, it seems you haven't learned anything, you're just stuck using guides in doing your coding, which is fine and all, but you're gonna have to eventually learn how to code stuff on your own.

This problem you have posted about have left a lot of us lost. A few people on IRC discussed about this, and none could even come close to replicating the issue you're having. Assuming you followed the guide, which is as follows.

1. Grab the art, mappings, and DPLC data and throw it into SonMapED.

2. Convert that shit to S1

3. Plug it into your S1 disasm

4. Build and see if the sprites show up. Animation will be fucked up, but that's fine.

5. Go and grab Sonic_Animate and the Animation scripts themselves from S2 and convert tat shit to work with S1. There isn't much to convert, except of course the temp labels, but if you use the S2Rev2 disasm or one of the older disasms, you can just transplant it into S1 with little issues.

6. Build

If everything works, move to 7.

7. Go follow the S1 spindash guide.

That's it. No frill or thrills, just pure instruction.

See how easy that is? That's it. The only possible  reason your shit ain't workings because of your use of that old idiotic "Switch characters" tutorial.

13. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

When Sonic is about to do his ending pose in the Ending level of S1. It glitches out and has the letters ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION$00005684. Here's the pic. 

[​IMG]

14. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

Can you tell what did you do with Ending Sequence, recent changes, etc. It's hard to help without proper information.

15. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

As above, is hard to tell. But I can help you by other way:

Open build.bat and after

s1built.binadd
    Code:
    ,, s1built.lst
    (yes, there have to 2 commas).
    Now build your ROm then open the s1built.lst file with a text editor and search for "5684".

Alternatively, you can install Flamewing's debugger. If the hack crashes, there will appear a message with line causing error and some other info.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
  16. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

All I edited with the ending was the layout and the tiles. Sorry for not mentioning that. Will try painto's fix.

EDIT: Here is the code that I found, Not sure what is wrong with it. 

Code:
    00005678 0000 0000                  Map_ESon:	dc.w M_ESon_Hold1-Map_ESon, M_ESon_Hold2-Map_ESon
    0000567C 0000 0000                  		dc.w M_ESon_Up-Map_ESon, M_ESon_Conf1-Map_ESon
    00005680 0000 0000                  		dc.w M_ESon_Conf2-Map_ESon, M_ESon_Leap1-Map_ESon
    00005684 0000 0000                  		dc.w M_ESon_Leap2-Map_ESon, M_ESon_Leap3-Map_ESon

17. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

What's wrong is that the game's code is jumping there in the first place.

18. presto

presto Raised from the dead... Member

Hello!

I have a really big problem with my Sonic 1 hack (Hivebrain disasm.), and I send it to someone to playtest it. Then he sends this back to me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He told me he was using Genesis Plus GX, but I didn't notice it, as I was using Fusion.

What could be the problem? I can't find anything!

EDIT: The first picture happens when the game is trying to play a sound.

The second one is when you try making Sonic run.

19. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

What did you try finding?

I see the words 'address error' followed by a pair of addresses. One is odd. This, to me, suggests that you are attempting to perform a word/longword operation on an odd address. I don't think Fusion emulates that.

I swear I've been seeing that $00070000 address lately, and I swear it keeps coming back to the sound driver. Would your driver happen to be there? If so, it's a bug with that.

20. Kaz

Kaz Well-Known Member Member

Basically, any SFX in presto's hack causes the $00070000 error.

Try undoing every step until the hack now completely works with Genesis Plus GX. If it now works, you found your problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014