Sonic 1: WTF LAME

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Sonic 65, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kain

Kain Well-Known Member Member

The best part of this is by far the inclusion of Yakiti Sak (Benny Hill Theme)

of note the text goes by kinda fast.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  2. roxahris

roxahris Active Member Member

This hack is some amazing shit right here

But that hack makes Tweaker out to be the good guy! Obviously, we need a hack where 'Tweaker monitors' activate scrolling screens of Tweaker's posts!

So, in other words, a monitor that displays the words "No." and "Fuck you." several times.

Hey, I just noticed all the cool emoticons we have here!

:(

3. Ivy

Ivy Guest

Is that going to make fun of him purely for making long posts? I don't think so.

4. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

This is the most amazing hack I've ever seen.

5. bareirito

bareirito Well-Known Member Member

Ha ha! This is the best hack ever seen! It's so funny and I don't find anything bad at all, I think we have to laugh just a few with all the things are happening and take it as a joke. :p

As for the source code, that means that we can use it for helping us with making texts? (with the permission and then credit of the creator, obviously)

Also...

Well everyone has its viewpoints. :(

EDIT: I realised that I can for this. =P

6. Armada

Armada DID SOMEONE SAY WEEABOO? Member

Sorry, only Wetflame can have unique viewpoints. You can only have an opinion if it's in agreement.

As for the hack, it's quite excellent. I'd like to use the scrolling text for an intro.

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft RickRotate'd. Maintenance

You can. Just be aware that the text scrolling code uses the VDP directly instead of using the Sonic engine, so it might not work as-is if you want to make it part of a level.

Technical details: The scrolling text uses Scroll B, which is configured to 64x32. After the plane is scrolled up 8 scanlines, a line of text is read from the ROM and written to the scroll plane. Additionally, after all the text is read, blank lines are written to the scroll plane. This is needed because the scroll plane wraps around to the bottom of the screen after it's scrolled all the way up.

Note that although the scroll plane is 64x32, only 40x25 characters are visible at any given time.

8. Overlord

Overlord Newcomer Member

From a technical standpoint this is quite an impressive achievement - kudos to you both on this, though I've been impressed with Sonic65's coding skill for quite some time simply from the video of Dustin Wyatt's Epic Adventure on Youtube.

Fun fact about this game - it is impossible to 100% finish. Putting aside the fact the first monitor in LBZ1 is an utter bitch to get past, go into the Level Select, do Final Zone, and note how you'll only get a scene or two into the credits. =P

And that's ignoring the fact you can't get any Chaos Emeralds =P

9. Sonic 65

Sonic 65 Active Member Member

Thanks.

The credits are actually passable if you exploit the C button glitch; the real run-killer is LZ2, which is actually impossible to beat, because you have to hit a monitor to activate a switch. (This is going to be fixed in Revision 3, which me and GerbilSoft are working on right now in #retro).

Other notable levels causing people in #retro to tear their hair out were GHZ3 ("THAT GODDAMN TREE") and LZ3 (which is even harder). However, both of these levels are possible to beat. =P

Also, LZ1? What? Just go to the very left, start running, and you can easily pass the first monitor. No jumping required. =P

10. Overlord

Overlord Newcomer Member

Oh, OK =P

Also, I have a bug for you if you're still working on it - the first monitor in LZ1 seems to glitch up the TRY AGAIN text every time still - and yes, I'm using R2 as the music glitches have now gone.

And fair enough at how to pass it =P

11. Sonic 65

We actually just fixed that. =P (The glitch was also occuring in SBZ2.)

See, this is why you need to be in #retro more. =P

12. Overlord

Overlord Newcomer Member

Well EXCUUUUUUUUSE ME for having been in work all day. =P I only got home about an hour ago, not even been on the board yet, never mind the IRC =P

13. Sonic 65

Code:
    <Wetflame> I have more laughing stock if you make another revision of that shit

<Wetflame> Do it.

<Wetflame> I say, DO it.

Okay. ;)

Revision 3 Binaries

Revision 3 Source Code

Basically just some bugfixes for LZ (the water code in the interrupt interferes with the GAME screen), and making the game actually possible to beat (fixing the LZ2 sprite layout).

Hopefully revision 4 will be a feature update instead of just bugfixes!

14. Striker

Striker IT Geek Member

I may have just shit a brick because of that.

You sir have have w0n t3h internetz.

15. Chaos Hedgie

Chaos Hedgie I'm 30 years old, with a OC. You'll live. Member

Honestly I think this hack is pretty disrespectful.

Coding skills are cool tho

16. Striker

Striker IT Geek Member

The content of the hack could be offensive to some parties, but the technical aspect of this hack is amazing.

This is the internet, shit happens. Not much you can do about it. I'm not going to delete this topic because the hack is somewhat offensive. The hack is offensive not the thread. No one is forcing you to download and play hack.

17. Chaos Hedgie

Chaos Hedgie I'm 30 years old, with a OC. You'll live. Member

I never requested the topic to be deleted. I just thought it was desrespectful, and I felt like expressing my opinion.

18. Striker

Striker IT Geek Member

Sorry for not being more specific, someone else contacted me concerned about the topic. Not Chaos Hedgie.

19. EltonJack

EltonJack Newcomer Trialist

I don't get it.

20. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Don't get what? What the hack is baffaling about or what Striker is baffaling about? =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.