Sonic Odyssey!

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Sephiroth, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth WHY SO CURIOUS?!? Member

Yes, I do realize that there is a problem with the title screen, and that not much has happened, but for those of you who are lazy bastards, here are some screen shots of what I have done so far.

Also, I apologize for giant screen shots.

[​IMG]

OH MY GOD TAILS. Also, Big Ring from the Warp Zone. Also, the new art for this zone. Don't worry, the artwork for the background is going to change, don't worry.

[​IMG]

Some new art that I am working on for SYZ.

[​IMG]

GHZ's warp zone, with incorporated Big Rings.

[​IMG]

All of these items are selectable fully now! Also, clicking on Tails will actually make you play as Tails! Everything else I am working on getting working. Also, the background is a bit fucked up at the moment, so if anyone can help me with that, I would appreciate it.

Features (already incorporated):

Spindash (Pretty basic at the moment, but I won't change it, because I like it. Don't like it? Shut your piehole)

Jumpdash (Thanks to Selbi for that one)

Giant Warp Rings (Thanks to Armada for various bits and pieces of help for that one)

Tails! (still a WIP, and also I am looking for someone to help me with the mappings, as you can see, he is levitating at the moment. =P PM me if you can help.)

4th acts (not done, layout wise yet. =P)

Menus (Work perfectly! Now to get them to do exactly what I want them to)

Features (To Be Added):

Difficulty Choices! (Currently working on this!)

Tails with the ability to fly

Possibly S3K shields

Customized art for each level, rather than just SYZ and MZ at the moment. =P

Knuckles

And more.....

So please, comment, criticize etc. and I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and before you ask, I'm not going to tell you when you can expect a release, I'll release it when I damn well feel like it, k? And don't expect one in the next 2 months, because I have a lot of work to do, bugwise.

Credits

I want to say some massive thank you's to the following people:

GerbilSoft: for teaching me how to use jump tables effectively.

andlabs: for helping me with jump tables

Armada: for helping me with various bits and pieces of ASM coding here and there.

Selbi: for his Jumpdash guide. I swear it is one of the few guides I used, so don't hit me. >.<

Hitaxas: for sending me the artwork for the HUB Zone (I redrew it in SonEd2 myself though. =P)

SOTI, PsychoSk8r, Hitaxas: for beta testing. (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT ASK TO BE A TESTER. >.<)

Oh, and Sonic65 gave me the location of some unused ram space. Thanks. =P

And if I forgot you, please put a comment and feel free to berate me and my hack if I forgot you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Tis is som raelly godd shit! Mi lik it! No srs, I really think this is an impressive hack. I really like your level Map feature (maybe I will add this as well...). However, due the fucking YouTube quality, I wasn't sure if you have another palette for GHZ. Is this the fact? And, what the freaggin hell are jump tables/what are they doing?

3. Sephiroth

Yeah, it was bad quality. I was retarded enough to use WMM and the recommended for your computer choice. XD

Anyway, the pallet isn't actually different. Well, the numbers on the title cards are different coloured because of Tails's pallet, but other than that it is the same.

Also, the jump tables are basically a way of doing a mass cmpi.b kind of thing. Like instead of doing one for each value on my menu (which is what I used them for) I just make a jumptable, which moves the ram address for the selection into d0, then checks d0 and goes to that number on the jump table. Say I choose the Knuckles selection, which would be #2 (because bytes have base zero) it would go to the third option in a jump table, which looks like this in my hack:

Code:
    JumpTable&#58;

dc.l SonicWasChosen

dc.l TailsWasChosen

dc.l KnucklesWasChosen

dc.l OriginalWasChosen

dc.l OdysseyWasChosen

dc.l VEasyWasChosen

dc.l EasyWasChosen

dc.l NormalWasChosen

dc.l HardWasChosen

dc.l VHardWasChosen

dc.l NewGameWasChosen

dc.l ContinueWasChosen

dc.l SoundCheckWasChosen

dc.l Noway

dc.l Noway

dc.l Noway
    Where Noway is just an rts function, which would take you back to the title screen. Anyway, it basically then moves the label into a1, then jumps to whatever label is stored in a1, and then it will do what is in that label.

And that is a brief summary of a jump table. I only use it for the menu at this moment in time.

EDIT: Also, if anyone is interested I may make a tutorial on how to effectively use these. And thanks to GerbilSoft and Andlabs for helping me out with these.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  4. Chaos Hedgie

Chaos Hedgie I'm 30 years old, with a OC. You'll live. Member

I applaud you for improving!

I'm just starting to worry that the map feature will become standard in ROM hacks...

But hey, at least you're improving though.

5. Sephiroth

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Although I was able to pull of an almost similar effect 2 years ago with S2 (with RHS's help, of course. =P) but this time I did it mainly on my own. The menu was hard though. =P

6. Chaos Hedgie

Chaos Hedgie I'm 30 years old, with a OC. You'll live. Member

At least you know ASM...I'll probably never be able to grasp the concepts of it.

7. Malevolence

Malevolence Well-Known Member Member

All you need is time and patience, any can learn it ;)

Also this is looking rather neat, keep up the good work :D

8. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

That art with the picture of tails looks really nice!, except the backround but you said you would change that so thats fine. And its cool you ceated a world map, now you need to find a unique way of doing this. I'm starting to see the same old jump through the giant ring too many times now, but other than that great start.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  9. Sephiroth

I think I've only seen it implemented in 2 other hacks. One was S2R, by RHS, and the other is a WIP known as S1EE, by Cinossu/Marc. I actually did this before as well, but that hack was never completed. I intend to change that by finishing this hack.

Plus, I don't think I've seen anyone else do it in this fashion other than in S1EE, even though it was easy as hell to do it.

10. Hitaxas

Hitaxas Retro 80's themed Paladins Twich streamer Member

You forgot Thorn and DRX's hack. =P

11. Sephiroth

And them too.

But think about it. Out of all the people I named, including myself, only 2 of them aren't Tech Members on Retro. =P

12. Hitaxas

Hitaxas Retro 80's themed Paladins Twich streamer Member

RHS no longer hacks, so giving him a Tech account would do nothing. Also, after the first two times of seeing the same thing in a hack, I think that was enough. Can't get techie for being able to do something a techie already did.... I think.

13. Animemaster

Hey I'm not telling you to get rid of it no no, I just thought it would be nice for someone to a different way of entering levels in a map. Take markeyjester's map for example.

14. Sephiroth

Update:

[​IMG]

Fixed the background, and also the palette. Now it is actually standable!

[​IMG]

New BG art for the Over-world level.

15. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Where's my credit, you limey sleazeball!?

16. Sephiroth

Yeah, DalekSam sent me the original artwork. Sorry I didn't credit you, I was running off to the shop, so I had to make my post quick. =P

17. Ollie

Ollie Well-Known Member Member

Wow, it's really taking shape. Looking really good! :(

18. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

That's correct. I can't even be bothered to look at Retro anymore =P

19. Animemaster

You know, couldn't you get the sonic/miles backround by porting the sonic 2 levelselect? I didn't really get a problem with the backround when I ported the options menu from sonic 2.

20. Sephiroth

Actually, that is what I did, but I a)couldn't get the Sonic/Miles art to load properly, and b)thought that it wasn't just Sonic and Miles, so then it didn't really go with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.