How to make sure soned uses the right palette line when importing art

Discussion in 'Tutorials Archive' started by Sonic master, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic master

Sonic master Well-Known Member Member

Edit:If you see no pictures try refeshing or viewing on my website link on bottom of postEvery one who has tried to import art knows that 90% of the time It uses Sonic's palette instead of the right palette.And then you have to change every single block's palette with the H and N keys and now with 100 blocks to fix (400 presses of the H and N keys) you think to your self there has got to be an easier way well there is.Well there is.I am going to be importing this image[​IMG]So I import the image as is (except in pcx 8).[​IMG]It imported with-out crashing but the image is messed up.[​IMG]I don't want to fix this the hard way.Here is the easy wayYou need:palette suite 3Download here.And a program that can save and use palette files (gimp and Jasc paint shop pro 9)Step 1Make sure the image is 8-bit and then import palette into soned 2[​IMG]Step 2Save the palette[​IMG]Step 3Open your palette in pal suite 3[​IMG]Then compare the position of the palette in soned 2 to the palette in pal suite 3[​IMG]Soned 2 thinks you want to use palette line 1 when you relay want to use line 4Move the palette colors down to line 4 by selecting the color and press Ctrl C and go down 4 lines in this case and press Ctrl V then press Delete[​IMG]compare the 2 palettes.Make sure they are on the same line[​IMG][​IMG]If so save the palette[​IMG]Step 4Load the new palette in your image editor[​IMG][​IMG]Step 5Save your image as a .pcx[​IMG]Step 6Delete all bad tiles and blocks (if you tried to import the image earlier) in soned 2 by pressing Ctrl Z and import the image[​IMG]It should turn out right if you read and did the whole guide[​IMG] You can also view this on my website click here to view my guide on my website

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  2. DeoxysKyogre

DeoxysKyogre No idea what to put here .-. Member

Great guide, Sonic Master! This guide saved me from erratic art pallines! Thanks a lot! Many people will have fun making art for their hacks! Kudos to you, dude! ;)

3. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

I'm sure this will be a useful technique and I've seen plenty of people have problems with this issue. I, myself, ran across it a few times, but I eventually learned that if SonED2 imports using the wrong line, you haven't prepared your art properly. As long as you are thorough, there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't import in perfect colours every single time. It's not clear from the images you've copy pasted exactly what the state of your pallete lines are before importing that art, but with what appears to be a lurid turquoise colour used as transparency despite having the exact same colour in different positions on every single line, I'm not surprised the program didn't import it the way you wanted.

I've certainly not had to manually correct the pallete for a long, long time. Nevertheless, there are occasions where things just aren't playing ball and you have to brute force it in. It's certainly worth knowing how to do it, definitely, but if you expect to have to correct it every time, you are doing it wrong. Still, no doubt plenty of people will find this useful simply because it's quick, easy, and doesn't require much thought. I'm still confident I could have got that art of yours in completely correct first time though.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2010
  4. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

I've been doing something wrong for a long, long time then.(God I sound old) By using the guide on retro, I taught myself on how to import art from spritesheets to do mish-mash ect. Ported the colour table from sonic 1, and then manually changed tiles to fit the right palette line, and then changed the palette to be the way I want it. I suppose a quicker way would be good, but I guess I've been doing the way I do for awhile now I was convinced this was the faster way to do it. Good job on the guide, I proberly won't use it but good job non the less. I am curious on how it should be done correctly everytime iojnekns. I might figure it out one day :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
  5. iojnekns

Eh, after a re-read, that post comes off far snarkier than I ever intended it to be. This is a solid solution to a problem which afflicts a lot of people, so I really can't fault it. I think perhaps suggesting that SonED2 imports art wrong "90% of the time" puts the blame at the wrong end. If your art isn't set up right, it will import incorrectly. If your art is set up right, it will import correctly. The guide shows a method of getting that art set up correctly, which is invaluable if you haven't been thorough in keeping it kosher during the drawing process.

By the looks of things, you guys are ending the process with putting the pallete into SonED2. The first thing I do is set up the palletes in SonED2, export, and draw using that pallete from the start. Then when I get to the end, it pings straight in.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
  6. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Ah but what if your copy/pasting things from spritesheets?

7. iojnekns

Huh? I don't understand what you mean. You either use the colour replacer tool on the art you're ripping to recolour it with your pallete, then copy it in amongst the rest of your art carefully prepared art. It will still import perfectly. If you're flat out ripping a zone, then you set up the pallete with the ripped art's pallete from the start. What's not to get?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.