Sonic Sx Edition

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by sten77, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sten77

sten77 Newcomer Member

I present my new Hack, i worked hard to make everything stable and fully playable. The most important changes are on the level structure and the same graphics (Except 3rd act, LZ and SBZ remains with the same graphics). I then implemented the S (Invincibility and speed) and goggle display monitors (Infinite air necessary to overcome underwater SBZ). I then added the spindash the waterskimming (necessary to overcome LZ) and jumpdash (With 3 Chaos Emeralds). I attach the rom and some pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
  2. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

The background art for some of the levels in your hack is not bad, in fact I actually like some of them :p . the game game-play is pretty decent to me also. the only thing that I really didn't like about it was how most of the songs you use from sonic 2 were all from the S1Hacking studio program but I guess it's a start for porting some type of new music. the only other thing that I think you should do is change the sprites back to the original art for sonic and fix some of the tiles for GHZ2 & SLZ (just a suggestion anyway).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
  3. sten77

sten77 Newcomer Member

Latest version, I modified the Labyrinth zone, arranged the layout of the Green Hill Zone and a few bugs. I can not find the source because formatting pc. : (So I think the project will stop here. Thank you all.

Sonic_1___Sx_Edition.zip

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  4. MicroChirp

MicroChirp Wow, I was so stupid a few years ago... Member

It's good, although there are some glitched sprites. But nice, anyways.

5. Giga

Giga Newcomer Member

This hack looks great bit jagged but great

Nice job on bridge zone and scrap brain under water??? :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
  6. sten77

sten77 Newcomer Member

I would like to get my hack, but I lost the sources. It is possible to disassemble the ROM to recover?

7. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

I'm afraid not, its only set up for a sonic 1 rom bin file. And thats why its a must to back-up your files, so getting into a routine of doing so is a wise decision.

8. theocas

theocas #! Member

Well actually you can disassemble it, you'll just basically end up with a brand-new S1 disasm, etcetc. You'd probably be best off starting over, and making frequent backups.

9. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Splitting art and music: Possible

Splitting ASM code: Possible, but don't even dare, it's hard as shit and completely undocumented / uncommented.

10. sten77

sten77 Newcomer Member

Splitting art and music is more than enough.

In fact, what interests me is the art to recover in terms of time cost me more.

For the ASM changes I can restart from a clean rom:) How can I do? thanks

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

Just run split.bat again and then you can restart again. From there, you can edit the ROM until your hearts content. :)

12. sten77

sten77 Newcomer Member

Thanks, but does not work. ;) Unfortunately I have a separate arts and palettes for each level and therefore when I try to rebuild and play, if I select the level whit my arts give me purple screen.

The strange thing is that give me no errors in the rebuilt log. ;)

13. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

Purple screen... I've seen that not long ago, there was too many things in the level's PLC. Maybe it's something similar in this case.

14. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Yes, this can happen when lets say for example: You have dc.w $B items in the plc list PLC_GHZ1:. You decide to add a new entry, you count and say you miscounted and thought there were $C items. You change the $B to a $D and "Purple Screen" may occur because it's trying to load the last entry in that PLC. However because that isn't the right amount you get that screen in your face basically.

15. sten77

sten77 Newcomer Member

So should I change to resolve all addresses in the PLC list? I think not being able to do so. Assuming that succeeds, then the enterprise would cost me a lot in terms of time. Should I start over with a new hack.

16. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

No need to go that far.

Here's an example:

PLC_GHZ: dc.w $B

dc.l Nem_GHZ_1st ; GHZ main patterns

dc.w 0

dc.l Nem_GHZ_2nd ; GHZ secondary patterns

dc.w $39A0

dc.l Nem_Stalk ; flower stalk

dc.w $6B00

dc.l Nem_PplRock ; purple rock

dc.w $7A00

dc.l Nem_Crabmeat ; crabmeat enemy

dc.w $8000

dc.l Nem_Buzz ; buzz bomber enemy

dc.w $8880

dc.l Nem_Chopper ; chopper enemy

dc.w $8F60

dc.l Nem_Newtron ; newtron enemy

dc.w $9360

dc.l Nem_Motobug ; motobug enemy

dc.w $9E00

dc.l Nem_Spikes ; spikes

dc.w $A360

dc.l Nem_HSpring ; horizontal spring

dc.w $A460

dc.l Nem_VSpring ; vertical spring

dc.w $A660

If you replace "PLC_GHZ: dc.w $B" with "PLC_GHZ: dc.w $C", you'll get a purple screen because the game will try to read the following data and use it as addresses for the loading routines. That first word declared right after PLC_GHZ is the number of entries minus 1. A global file for green hill will go in 0, nem_ghz_1st and nem_ghz_2nd won't have to be loaded, and therefore the first word declared will be B+1-2=A.

17. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

Basically, the game crashes like this because of Nemesis' decompression routine. If it tries to parse some wrong data, you'll always end up with incredible glitches.

The data is definitely wrong, but not due to PLC. Well, actually there are lots of PLC problems like PLC buffer overflow (this causes the game to go into infinite loop on the title cards) or wrong data being decompressed if you put a wrong number of entries into a PLC block (like SpirituInsanum and Animemaster pointed out) but not in this case.

The reason is simple - your art. The art you split from ROM is totally corrupted/wrong, efforts to decompress it cause a game crash. Split.bat will work if only you manage to keep all data in its original offsets. The program has no clue where to find your data, it just follows the given offsets considering the ROM wasn't reassembled. There is no use in Split.bat unless you have a clean ROM, or the one edited by ESE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.