Pattern problem

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by FireRat, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Hi.

I'm trying to convert a song from XM to SMPS with xm3smps/Oerg. The problem is that there's a bug in the music in the Pattern 1 and 2, channel 2 (marked as PSG1). On these patterns, there's no data for that channel, but for some reason, that channel jumps to the next pattern. Can anyone convert that by me or at least tell me why that happens?

Here's the XM: http://www.mediafire.com/?2gdyd5h4yn7zd57

2. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

Ah, I remember this song. Good memories.

Anyway, about your problem. I really don't know why this happened but, I don't really see what the big deal is.

All you have to do to fix the song, is basically just copy the patterns from Pattern 0 and paste them in Pattern 1.

(Since they both play the same thing.)

And that's pretty much it. I also noticed that little problem on Pattern 6 too. So, I did the same thing. I copied all the notes in Pattern 0 and pasted them on Pattern 6 as well. But if you still don't understand, here's the XM. Just to show what I mean, because looking at the tempo of the song. (125/8) I really don't think the Mega Drive can play that sort of tempo correctly. Anyway...

Basically on the XM I gave you, I fixed the little problem you had on Patterns 1 and 6. Also, if you don't mind. I cleaned up the song a bit by removing any unused instruments and I fixed the loop a bit. But there's still one problem with your XM that I haven't fixed. (You have to do that yourself.)

While playing the song I noticed you had certain "percussions" in the wrong places. For example, you had few Cymbals in your PSG1 channel and Hats in your DAC channel. Remember you have to separate all of that. Like so...

FMs: FM instruments or any sort of percussions if you want.

PSGs: Squares basically

PSG/Noise: Open, Closed, and Pedal Hats. If you have no room in the DAC, use Cymbals as Hats too or something.

DAC: Kicks, Snares, Cymbals, basically any type of percussions except Hats. =P

Remember, you have to separate all that stuff for it to sound good on the Genesis. =)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011
  3. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Thanks a lot, you really helped me ;)

Also, thanks for talking about the channels, the channels are picked randomly

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
  4. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

The noise channel is not used for only just hats -- it can be used for a variety of effects. The DAC channel is a generic sample channel -- any sample can be played with it. Commonly, this is used for basic percussion, but it is also used for small voice clips. Hi-Hats are not an exception; do not rule them out.

Sorry, but these generalisations are not helpful to new people to the SMPS format. You must carefully explain what you're saying for each individual channel. FM channels are literally in the name -- they play any sort of FM instrument, the PSG channels can play either a noise waveform, a 50% duty square wave or with limited sampling opportunity. See After Burner as an example of the PSG sampler. I've already explained the DAC channel's use -- any sort of sample. Developers like Technosoft didn't use this opportunity and instead used six FM channels as whenever a sample was played, the entire engine had to be stopped for the Z80 to play the sample at a low quality.

5. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

OH geez, I totally forgot about a lot this. Eh, I wasn't thinking mostly due to because I was in a hurry on my last post, but yeah. HCKTROX, Sam explained it a lot better. So, your better off reading his explanation. Thanks Sam for clearing that up for me. =)

6. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Just for add extra information. 240/2 is all you need for get decent tempo for 180bmp or 120bmp MIDI files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.