General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

my thought of it should be likes this: The Hud should only change when the character submerges underwater, also, the limitation of the pallet really should affect the hud. You should try using bit shifting for the palettes.

2. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

Guys, you're confusing, hard to please and asking impossible things to do. xD

So, in order to please a little everyone but not fully anyone, this is the most impossible thing I can do, deal with it:

[​IMG]

The hud, fire and electricity are unaffected, Sonic is.

@SonicVaan: What contest? It wouldn't be that negative if it was abandoned, but it's still running (otherwise there would be no activity at all).

@MBB: What bit shifting are you talking about? :|

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
  3. Mike B Berry

Learning how to shift a pallet in stage by bit shifting in ASM. This should help out: http://sonicresearch...showtopic=3149. Although it is for Sonic 2, you could still change the ram adresses to utilize bit shifts from a specific area in a stage.

4. Kensou

Kensou Well-Known Member Member

I think that doesn't apport nothing to this threath. I'm bored of your meaningless posts.

This is looking better in each screenshot. It looks fun to play. But now, if you don't change the HUD effect here, you have to fix it underwater to work the same.

5. Mike B Berry

Well thanks for the comment Kensou, reminding me to update that post. Anyway; I'm working on bit shifts in Sonic 1 and 2, so far, the pallet shifts are working out in a way that already surpasses the Knuckles 32X time scheme. That is suitable for any hacker I can't wait until I finish the Ending scenes shifting effect in my hack...

Hint: Everything starts out in greyscale, then it slowly pans the color back to normal. Depending on the ending, the pallet will shift in correspondnce to however many Emeralds Sonic has obtained. If it is less than five, the pallet shifts until it is very dark. When the credits list pops up, the credits will not show, leading you to robotniks "Collect them all" image. The good ending with all the Emeralds are collected, the pallet shifts more towards a sunset theme.

6. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

I say stick with this one, it makes more sense for Sonic to be this way.

7. Mike B Berry

I suppose it is true, though it seems kind of akward to have a light character pallet in a dark area. Suppose to make a code that loads sonics palette in a dark tone. When you either get electrocuted or aquire a fire shield, he will light up. The electricution effect lasts five seconds after Sonic is shocked. Though i am no ASM genius, but I can toss one hell of an idea every now and then. However this project turns out, It will not effect the way I've preiously judged it.

8. Psycho RFG

Psycho RFG Well-Known Member Member

Definitely that looks much better in my opinion. Great job and nice effect with the shield. If you want to make it more complicated you can create a different palette for Sonic depending of what shield is using and the light that it gaves to Sonic :p And maybe the same when he is hurt by an object that generates light... :p

9. Mike B Berry

Wise guy for ripping off my idea, Ehhh? Nah I'm just messin' with ya. But yah I am very serious about that idea. and knowing how MarkeyJester Selbi, RedHotSonic and the others are with ASM, it should be as simple as breathing.

10. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

You, sir, are completly missing something: http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showforum=87 =P

Well, it's not like there's no electricity at an abandoned factory, unless I'm really wrong there. :p

11. Mike B Berry

That is a misnomer there, in a technicality, electricity could be foreged anywhere if it is forged from any two kenetic points. Or if the area is simply, ungrounded. But hey I'm just posting this to make myself sound even more like a dumbass who tries to sound smart.

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

It has been a few weeks now:

[​IMG]

And I'm nearly there:

[​IMG]

13. SSGD

SSGD "I can't believe what cool boots you have on!" Member

I like where this is going.....but the question is are you staying with the bonus stage aspect as featured in Sonic CD, or are you attempting to make a third-person platformer with full length stages using this form of layout?

14. Animemaster

Holy... dude.... If I new how to do this, my hack would be, well, complete! this is looking awsome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
  15. Sonic master

Sonic master Well-Known Member Member

Wow that is amazing 3D scaling without additional hardware very cool. I can't wait to play this out of any I have even seen done on the sega genesis this has got to be the coolest.

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Well, it is intended to be a replica of Sonic CD's special stages within reason, though once (or if) I succeed, I will alter it and create a new form of special stage out of the 3D environment. But that seems like a long way yet, I still haven't got the perspective correct yet, and it lags quite a lot.

If you can show me that your hack deserves it, I "may" slip you a copy of the software sometime =P

17. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

just a bit of a very very early SYZ W.I.P i'll just leave here for now...

[​IMG]

Some ideas would really be helpful if any of you may have some on what else can be added.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
  18. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

Other than maybe adding some more rides in the background (like a ferris wheel) and maybe a few tents, perhaps some confetti and streamers will spruce it up more. Looking okay so far, keep going at it.

19. Animemaster

As I've submitted my hack for the Hacking Contest due to shortage of time, and because I got some good news in my life recently, I'm feeling generous.

Of course its still got a ways to go. Credits to Selbi for the extended camera code demonstrated in the video but hasn't be done yet for charging the peelout nor the spindash. Apologies to the judges for one of the videos as I realised it screws up so I had to redo it for Youtube. I will most likely upload one more video this week.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
  20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Your new SEGA screen is very, very nice, as basic as it may be, I am pleased to see it in full glory. The title screen looks graphically nice, though it does feel quite empty, do you have plans to expand on it? The title card is cool and new, but the things that concern me are the fact that the banner moves horizontally rather than vertically, which seems odd considering that vertical banners in Sonic games have always usually moved vertically, that and it seems to appear briefly on the opposite side of the screen before it comes in, and after it goes out (you may want to look at that).

One thing I've noticed is that the objects of the level don't seem to load until the game has faded out and after a certain delay time, hell, it caused you to die in the past because you couldn't see the badnik coming, please, for the love of god fix that, that'll irritate me upon playing it! Your "rewritten" badniks (I know you wrote half the code yourself =P) are looking and performing very accurately, well done there, it's nice to see a decent port/recreation. I'm not too fond of the layout I'll admit, it seems bland in a few places, additionally, some of the chunks look graphically off when put together:

[​IMG]

I'm disappointed about stuff like that, mostly because I know for a fact that you know it's an issue, you've even been teaching people in your tutorials on how to avoid that. Using the platform to pass through level collision, I recommend against it, as it looks odd, and people can break the game in a many manner of ways, especially the first one, it's left the bridge floating on its own, I will say though, it IS clever how you've used them. The time travel method was unexpected, I was expecting it to be like Sonic CD, it's a nice unique touch on your part, very cool stuff. I prefer the past graphics a lot more than the future/present (it didn't specify =P), the patchy grass and the nice colours and shading you have for the checkard blocks are really magnificent, the blue bar in the background where the water is suppose to be is odd, but with the colours, it all falls together perfectly, even the layout is slightly better, I wish you showcased more of it!

I cannot really say much for the future/present though, the FG/BG clashes, and well, I'm just not too fond of it. Fix the graphics for those solid wall objects though, for god's sake. The Sonic CD running up the wall perspective is brilliant, it looks like it flows well, when he's falling back down though, it looks odd with him using the wall running animation, cool stuff nonetheless. And that's about all I'll say on the matter.

To sum it all up simply, it's got some fantastic stuff all around, it needs cleaning up though, please do that, this is an exciting hack and deserves to look and play professionally.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.