Fudge Hill Zone contest

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by MarkeyJester, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Right folks, after seeing the hack by Green Snake, I decided that I wanted to see a REAL Fudge Hill Zone, and I mean a proper version, something VERY professional looking/sounding/playing, so, I have another mini contest here.

Make a brand new, original and unique Fudge Hill Zone level on a Sonic game.

Rules:

• The Sonic game may be Sonic 1 or Sonic 2.
    • The level must be 80% original in terms of design (art, layout, etc).
    • Only 1 act is required, 2 or 3 would be a bonus.
    • No using art/music/code from other levels/games, it must be made by you.
    • Up to a maximum of 4 people allowed to collaborate together.
    • Other related themes are allowed, so long as the main theme (fudge) is made obvious and the most frequent.
    • 3 months is the deadline. (Til Oct 10 2012)
    • Special effects such as animated graphics aren't essential, but will gain interest.
    • The level has to be playable.

The winning entry will obtain the prize of $100 to each collaborator, I'll handle currency conversion costs if you would like to be paid via a different form of currency, payments will be made through PayPal.

Remember, I'm looking for something professional, and very well done, use your brains, ripping art and shit from other games/hacks won't gain my attention, and nor will half arsed work, you'll have to really push your limits here. Good luck.

If you have any further questions, do post.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

What on earth? What's brought this on? What I mean is, why are you doing this?

Hmm.... it's not April 1st...

EDIT: It's your birthday. You're meant to be receiving money, not giving it away =P

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
  3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

It won't be my birthday on Oct 10th, so technically it won't count, and if it does count in some logic, then (I hope) I'll recieve a playable, brilliant level to play in a Sonic game.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  4. MegaGWolf

MegaGWolf Unofficial Official Hack Showcaser Member

I almost want to think I might of had something to do with this but I doubt it :p

I certainly want to play w/e comes out of this if anything. Shame I can't really enter but I lack skill and time and anything. haha!

Sounds like a pretty awesome contest.

5. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    MegaGWolf, anything is better than Fudge Hill Zone from Green Snake. Plain in simple, you should get a prize just for trying. Being an op for a week at Retrohack sounds pretty good. Actually, that should be a prize.

Everybody who participates gets to be an op on Retrohack for a week OR an admin at asmtogenesis.

6. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

Art is not my forte but when it comes to ideas of a new zone, I could give it a shot. The tiles might be a bitch to create in SonED2 and SonMapED, but I could give it a shot.

7. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

I'm in desperate need in money to buy a guitar interface for my PC. So if anyone I like wants me to help, be my guest! *runs*

I might try something myself actually, doubt I'll win though.

8. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Bwa ha ha ha ha! I don't know why but you've just made me choke on my tea sir. I'm not sure about this personally, especially the money thing. I wouldn't feel right taking that much money from you for a hack, no matter how good it is or how much I may need the money. Though of course its up to you what you do.

9. RetroX

RetroX Active Member Member

ASMtosegagenesis is a stupid site that was started by a guy who's life depends on stealing code, and it still is because he hasn't logged on in about 6 months and let people do literally anything they want. I would definitely pick being an op at RetroHack.

10. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Someone clearly didn't get the joke.

11. Sonic master

Sonic master Well-Known Member Member

Na, I would not feel too bad about it after all he is a sucker for cute... levels :D (insert other bad puns to go with this one). I can understand where you are coming from but it is MarkeyJester's choice to do the contest and if he wishes to give away money then don't worry about it just make a nice level and hope you win I know I might if I somehow magically become good at drawing or maybe I could use real photographs that is what I do for backgrounds on my homebrew genesis games.

12. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

No I don't think I'll be entering. Good luck to those who do though.

13. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

I can't no Artistic abilities when making my won tiles.

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Understand that this isn't me being friendly, as a matter of fact, because money is involved, I'm going to be brutal and thorough with judging, and I won't be giving the prize out easily if there's only one entry and it sucks so bad, that I'll want to tie a rope around my neck. When it comes right down to it, your goal is to show me that you guys can make something that is believed to be a real level, not something hackish like we always get. You've gotta push the limits to the max, it's this difficulty that puts the idea of winning money into the right perspective, thus you have no need to feel guilty for accepting money.

You said though, that you won't be entering, so it doesn't really matter to you anymore, unless you decide to change your mind, but it still applies to everyone else who plans to enter.

15. Rezeed

Rezeed Dataspirit and Dream Traveller Member

Doesn't it require Original badniks/objects, bosses, and/or title screens?(Though it may be funny seeing Fudgey-badniks running about.)

I am interested in terms of exactly would be required for curiosity sake.

While I am asking, Since you can't borrow code from other games/hacks, does this mean that you can't use the original code from the current sonic game the people would be making such a hack for?

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

You may use the standard structure holding the game together (i.e. the level drawing/deformation software/method, sound driver, etc), and universal things you'd expect in a Sonic game, springs, rings, etc, but certain things like badniks you may want to change, if you want to gain my attention, this doesn't mean you cannot use subroutines which are universally used by all objects, such as the "DisplaySprite" routine which saves the object's RAM address for sprite conversion. Only universal things which are already within the game you've selected would be something I'd take the most interest in, but "only" universal. This should open up room for your own creativity, that's what I'm looking for after all.

I'm not expecting you to rip everything out of the level, I mean, for example, if you don't have time to do something like making new badniks because you've spent all your time doing the level's art, layout, special effects, music, whatever, then I can be laid back provided that your time has been spent thoroughly with detail on other aspects. Put your time into the things you think will be the most effective.

17. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

So pretty much like an Simon Cowell type of judging? (just making some references here about what you meant). well if thats the case then I will be ready for hell then when the time comes lol (though i doubt i may even enter in this contest at all).

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

This isn't a singing contest, and I do not care for Simon Cowell or his business, this is a hacking competition, there are several aspects to be looked at here, not just one, hence I can give good and bad feedback dependant on those individual aspects, think of me as some sort of job interviewer, I'll be direct, thorough, and looking for multiple flaws, however, the difference is that I won't dismiss anything good like a job interviewer, I'll take them into account, I'll be looking for great things too.

19. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Hmm, I think I might take a shot at this. If anything, it'll be interesting to see what ideas pop into my head during the design process.

20. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Don't worry, it will be. Already got the whole concept sketched out on paper, including gimmicks. The only area I'm a bit concerned about is music, seeing as I've never touched it before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.