General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

Either I have a weird memory, or this was done before. I mean, isn't level transition a common thing nowadays? Not to say I dislike this, not in the least, I'm just not seeing what's THAT special about it. :V

If I recall properly, act-to-act transitions have never been done in Sonic 1 before. Ever. EVER. It's been done countless times in Sonic 2, and S3K already has 'em, but never Sonic 1. So yeah.

2. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

Indeed, I think it was talked about often, claimed quite a few times, done in some very specific hacks with new layouts and such, but I've yet to see "S1 with act transitions".

I hope you'll share some tips about this :)

3. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I've seen act transitions in Sonic 1, but they didn't work very well iirc. I'm sure Cinossu did something better :)

4. Ivan YO

Ivan YO Well-Known Member Member

I'm doing hack to hacking contest 2013.

Screens:

Castle Ruins Zone:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WIP.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  5. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Reminds me of the castle in Super Mario 4

6. SpirituInsanum

Concept time!

[​IMG]

Plans are to have the bg plane move slowly (similar to s2), and a ripple effect on the sea, probably some cycling colours as well.

Now, I have to find a way to import this thing... ^^'

7. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Wow that looks nice wish I knew how to make graphics like that should of payed more attention in art.

8. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Love the island art, very nice! 

9. SpirituInsanum

Here it is, thought you'd want it animated  :)

Youtube slaughtered the vid's quality... >_>

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  10. XtremerSadiqX

XtremerSadiqX Burning Way Past Cool Member

Wow, that's amazing, it looks like the American version of Sonic on the cover of the Genesis titles. I especially like how Eggman has a flag saying "Grand Destruction Tommorrow!" XD

So what levels are gonna be in here?

11. SpirituInsanum

The first release will essentially be s1 with new graphics and some new game mechanics. I'm slowly improving the engine with bits from s2/s3 and some custom changes, so most changes won't be visible to the player.

That version will be finished soon, I only have to remake the graphics in Star Light and Special Stage, and Robotnik's sprite.

Then I'll begin work on the new zones. Current plans are 3 zones of 2-3 acts between GHz and Mz, SYz and Lz, and Lz and SLz, an additional level for GHz (already done), an additional level for SBz after Final zone (done excepted for the boss), then 3 "zones" of 1 act each, hopefully with an additional special stage (which will require a specific engine so I'm not sure yet).

I couldn't think of a transition between Marble and Spring Yard yet, but if I do that'll be one more zone.

12. ThomasThePencil

Okay, let's see if I can spot all the awesome features in that title screen that are different from the normal Sonic 1 title screen...

Sonic isn't all one shade of blue (Sonic is all one shade of blue in vanilla Sonic 1)

The background isn't GHZ's art (The background is GHZ's background in vanilla Sonic 1)

The background scrolls slower (It scrolls far faster in vanilla Sonic 1)

EGGMAN BANNER (Eggman isn't in the background in vanilla Sonic 1, nor does he have a banner that says "Grand Destruction Tomorrow!")

The music uses S3 drums instead of the S1 drums (Thanks to XtremerSadiqX for pointing this one out to me!)

Why did I point that fourth one out? Because it's Eggman, and you can't really go wrong with Eggman. I lol'd at it when I saw the banner he had.

All in all, I love it!

13. XtremerSadiqX

The first release will essentially be s1 with new graphics and some new game mechanics. I'm slowly improving the engine with bits from s2/s3 and some custom changes, so most changes won't be visible to the player.

That version will be finished soon, I only have to remake the graphics in Star Light and Special Stage, and Robotnik's sprite.

Then I'll begin work on the new zones. Current plans are 3 zones of 2-3 acts between GHz and Mz, SYz and Lz, and Lz and SLz, an additional level for GHz (already done), an additional level for SBz after Final zone (done excepted for the boss), then 3 "zones" of 1 act each, hopefully with an additional special stage (which will require a specific engine so I'm not sure yet).

I couldn't think of a transition between Marble and Spring Yard yet, but if I do that'll be one more zone.

Transition? You mean like in Sonic 3? How about he jumps on a spring, taking him up high into Spring Yard?

14. XtremerSadiqX

Okay, let's see if I can spot all the awesome features in that title screen that are different from the normal Sonic 1 title screen...

Sonic isn't all one shade of blue (Sonic is all one shade of blue in vanilla Sonic 1)

The background isn't GHZ's art (The background is GHZ's background in vanilla Sonic 1)

EGGMAN BANNER (Eggman isn't in the background in vanilla Sonic 1, nor does he have a banner that says "Grand Destruction Tomorrow!")

Why did I point that last one out? Because it's Eggman, and you can't really go wrong with Eggman. I lol'd at it when I saw the banner he had.

All in all, I love it!

You forgot: The music has S3 drums instead of S1

15. ThomasThePencil

Why did I point that last one out? Because it's Eggman, and you can't really go wrong with Eggman. I lol'd at it when I saw the banner he had.

All in all, I love it!

You forgot: The music has S3 drums instead of S1

Ah, I did forget that, didn't I? Thanks for letting me know about it. I wasn't really paying any sort of attention to the music, which is probably why I forgot that. Thanks again.

16. ThomasThePencil

Transition? You mean like in Sonic 3? How about he jumps on a spring, taking him up high into Spring Yard?

A spring taking him into SPRING Yard Zone? Oh man...that is clever.

17. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

I think, in this case, it's more a whole transitional zone than a zone transition, ie. a whole new zone, not just an animation leading from one zone to the next.

That title screen is gorgeous, and a lovely use of that Eggman sprite that goes unused. The island is based on the one from the SMS/GG version, yes? Beautifully drawn.

The only thing I don't like about it is the Sonic 3 drums; I never thought they fit very well with Sonic 1's (or Sonic 2's) music. Ah well, opinions. :U

18. SpirituInsanum

I don't even know how people ear the difference between those drums. Actually it's using s3's drums only because I'm using s3's sound driver (which is far from perfect unfortunately), I converted most musics as well as I could but all the sound/music stuff is beyond me. xD

I do mean a transitional zone. I tried to draw the path followed in my hack by Sonic on the S1 sms map, and it seems I'd need to cross the lake a second time, therefore the lack of inspiration. I'll probably find something though.

And this answers your other question, it's indeed a redrawn version of the map from the sms version.

(And only one frame is taken from the lost Robotnik animation, although it doesn't matter much.)

19. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

Do you plan on having rotating palettes on the waterfall in the title screen?

20. SpirituInsanum

I'm considering an animation on those instead, though at that scale I don't think it can look good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.