Build-A-Burger, Sonic 2 Version

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by SuperEgg, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    So, while working on Sonic 2 Beta, I got the idea about switching out the sound driver for it's Beta 4 counterpart, which was relatively easy. Why would I do such a thing? Because I get bored. So then, a few days back, I got the idea of trying to implement both sound drivers that could easily just be switched via a RAM address, ala the S3K disasm, within the disasm. I had MarkeyJester look into it, and he basically said it be a real pain in the ass to do such a thing, so I relented for about 5 hours. After that, I got bored and tried to implement both, and the player could choose via key press on the title screen to load the Beta 4 Sound Driver. After about an hour of coding, I had it kinda working, but I was undeterred. I asked Vlad if he could fix it. At about noon Central Time today, he came on irc and gave me the finished product, Sonic 2 Beta that ran TWO sound drivers. A rom that has the ability to change drivers mid-game. It had the native Sonic 2 Beta driver that ran, and with a touch of a button at the Title Screen, could be switched out for the Beta 4 driver.

Let me list the changes up to this point:

- The ROM contains both S2B and S2B4 sound drivers. In order to use the S2B4 driver, just press B at the title screen. Unfortunately, at this point of the proof-of-concept, you can only select the S2B4 driver, and not go back. If you wish to play stock vanilla S2B with it's standard sound driver, then don't press B at the title screen. Also, as an added bonus, I've also fixed the playlist, that way if you play with the S2B4 driver, it will play the correct music in level.
    - Also added the two player playlist, which is lacking in stock S2B.
    -This change will not noticed in game, but I've taken the liberty and made each zone have their own Object List. What does that mean? That means each zone now has all 80 object spots free. Though, not relevant to the release, it is something to consider.
    - You start at EHZ as opposed to NGHZ.
    - The DEZ music playing once you get 100 rings is now fixed as well.

Due note, I haven't fixed all sound issues, so you may have some things play different songs, this is normal. Since S2B4 had rearranged a few of the songs, some may be in different places. Another issue is drowning. If you were to let the countdown load, and jump out before you drown, it will play EHZ, as it does stock in S2B. I am looking into that. Also, don't play sound 9C if you are in S2B4 mode, for some odd reason it crashes the game. Otherwise, it works perfectly.

https://www.dropbox....6e13/s2beta.bin

Have fun.

Special thanks to Vladikcomper for being such a badass at coding and understanding Sound Drivers. This shit would've never happened without him.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
  2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Had a quick go, it's a cool concept changing the drivers mid-game. But when you say "mid-game", does that mean in the future, in the middle of EHZ1, you can change it to the other driver? Then mid-way through EHZ2, change it back?

3. SuperEgg

Dunno yet. I mean, I guess I could make it possible to change in game via a monitor of some sort. I'd rather not say what I have in mind for it, but it will be interesting nevertheless.

4. SuperEgg

After working on this for about a week or so, I've decided to release this build on my hack.

Here is a list of current changes from the last build.

- Now has an options menu that loads when you start the ROM.

- Options menu has two options that can be changed.

1. Change the game mode. i.e, Certain things, moves, ect, are different per mode. You can figure it out what it is.

2. Sound Driver select. Same as before. All the issues with weird DAC instrumentation is gone.

- Added in the Sonic 2 Final Level Select, but can only be accessed in S2B4/Final mode.

- Little note, if you decide to play Sonic 1 mode and decide to use the level select, don't pick any level after Dust Hill Zone, take a guess why. (Hint: It will crash.)

I would like to mention, this will be the last release until August(?), or whenever the hacking contest is. I do plan on continuing this hack, but it will be much better when contest comes around, so watch out.

Credits go to once again Vladikcomper for the dual sound driver initialization, Ayla for expanding the ideas.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2saz1hzxcbq6e13/s2beta.bin

Have Fun.

5. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

I like it, its cool... could do with the spindash dust adding and maybe a S2K mode so knuckles is playable.

6. SuperEgg

I dunno yet. I don't want this to be a clone Sonic 2 Delta. Even though I have the source code for Knux lying around, and I also have further plans down the road with this hack, I mean, I guess I could add in a S3K game mode if I notice lots of people request it. I don't want to give away to much about this hack, so that is all I can give you. As far adding in the Spin Dash/Splash (Both the same object btw) art, that can be done. Bear in mind, you will not see this change in S2B mode though, so...

7. DJaftershock

DJaftershock TWO-DEE-ECKS-GOLD Member

I personally consider this hack better off just doing it's own thing instead of being Sonic 2 with the four levels added (Delta) like most Sonic 2 hacks are only bothered about doing. It would be cool if you could play further than Dust HIll Zone with the Sonic 1 driver. Is that possible?

8. SuperEgg

It's not the Sound driver is the issue. In fact, the only drivers in the game is Sonic 2, and B4/Final. The reason it crashes is because of Title card object, which is a leftover from Sonic 1. The game mode option doesn't have anything to do with the drivers at all. And plus, I plan on doing something about Sonic 1 mode, just you wait. As I said, this build is FAR from what the final version is going to be, and lots of things will be added.

9. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

you got my tastebuts tingeling now... such a unusal but fun take on s2

10. SuperEgg

Actually, it's a tasty take on Sonic 2 Beta. Fuck Sonic 2 final. As is, this concept hack has never been done before, so I've already hit the pinnacle of excitement in this hacks journey, but I'm about to hit the next peak, so watch out.

11. SuperEgg

Welp, I lied earlier when I posted that last build will be the last one anybody but a handful of people will see.

Essentially, with the help of vlad, I have transformed this game from a simple hack that only pertained in being one of the few hacks that contains two Sound Drivers that could be switched via an options menu, to one that is essentially customization from the inside out.

What does this mean? Why should I care? Well bullocks, how long will that take?

Well Johnny, if you don't care, I can't help you, but if you do, then I'll tell you.

You can make Sonic 2 the way you want. You want play Sonic 2 Beta levels, but want to complete them without dying or using debug? Well then, this hack is for you. After taking lots of time considering how to do this, I have decided that I will make this hack 100% customization, from the level layouts to move sets from various Sonic Games. I, with the help of vladikcomper, have slowly made this hack come to life in more ways than what I've ever considered.

Unfortunately, do to the fact that I haven't completely got all of that coded, what I'm bout to release still doesn't even come close to what I've got in store. Nevertheless, I'll let you guys figure it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyoa3wd5xpeo5ou/s2beta%20%282%29.bin

I will just say this, if you plan on playing in S2B4 mode, activate the Level select mode and pick any level besides EHZ1. There are no objects, so playing it would be useless. Otherwise, have fun.

12. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

This hack is absolutely great, however there is one issue, make that two. When selecting the Sonic 2 B4*F* selection before the SEGA screen the game loads normally until the actual title screen loads...

[​IMG]

When the stars shimmer above the ribbon and emblem, you hear the ring collection sound. I'm pretty sure that you already know about this, but if not, I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  13. SuperEgg

Yeah, it's a bug with the palette changing object from Sonic 2. More than likely, there is a palette pointer issue, and I'm just yet to fix it. And yes, I know the ring sound plays, I actually make it play that. In the stock S2B4 Sound Driver, the shimmer sound doesn't exist, so I replaced it with the closest sounding thing. If you press start before everything loads, the palette will show up correctly though, so meh. This is literally a bug I'm just gonna leave alone, seeing as how I've just got a little present from vlad,which I am hard at work implementing.

14. Mike B Berry

Well that's great to know, I also love the Sonic 1 style game play... though I am disappointed that the Sonic Sonic 2 Beta 4 camera effect wasn't featured when the character dies (Of course it would only work if the S2B*F* option was selected if I'm correct.) 

-------------------------------

I was going to attempt to import that effect into my Sonic 1 hack. Could Retro possibly hold the disassembly I'm looking for in?

15. SuperEgg

Yeah. Just look for the Sonic 2 Beta 4 disasm. To be precise, check around for Kill_Player subordinate. If I remember correctly, it has it in there.

16. Mike B Berry

Excellent. I thank you greatly. Anyway, I'd like to let you know that EHZ contains nothing but rings when you access it in debug mode.

17. SuperEgg

I left the object layout for EHZ 1 empty because I was testing to see if the sonic 2 mode setting was working properly, seeing it loaded as empty, that it means it was a complete success.

18. SuperEgg

So, I'm not going to enter this hack for contest this year.

a. Because I'm busy as all fuck

b. Because I've decided to work on something a bit cooler....

That doesn't mean that I've quit work on this hack, oh no, quite the opposite.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa0vikiwa5pqzyv/S2bVladMenu.bin

I would post screenshots, but there's no point in it, it's still Sonic 2. Anyhow, here are a few changes

- A new menu system developed by Vladikcomper. (Kinda buggy, but that's all on me. =P)

- The Options menu in Sonic 2 mode have been returned to its proper working fashion. Do note, the player select will start with Sonic& Tails no matter what you choose. Not a glitch per say, but I haven't gotten to that.

- Level art can be chosen. You have two options, S2B or S2F. Because of the buggy nature, the "layouts" option doesn't work, so changing it will yield no difference. The layouts and art are together. (i.e. I pick in Art S2Final, it loads the S2F art along with it's layout.)

- Some of the glitches from the earlier release exist, I'll get to it later.
    - You can choose which object layout you want. Once again, I haven't added in all the S2B4 objects and reoriented them to work properly in S2B, so the only level that this option really applies to is CNZ1. Sorry.

Have Fun.

19. SteelTitanium

SteelTitanium Newcomer Member

Sounds cool, I'll try it out when i get the chance.

20. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

Ugh, couldn't he at least have made the background art a bit different? D: It resembles basically the same menu in my hack, which he did. Of course I have a different structure and it's not just jumping straight into the options, but.. meh, whatever, that's fine I guess.

Also a typo in "LEVEL OPTIONS": Objcet. And when you leave the level options, the main options kinda glitch up, probably because you aligned the text a bit wrong in the level options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.