General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

This video is quite old, So the spikes we're removed some days ago. I'm quite sure that this video has 1 week or more of older.

As I Said up, thanks for your feedback & commentaries.

Also, noticed the 'S' monitor? They don't give super/hyper. They give 50 rings now.

I'll try to do my best.

EDIT:

@RHS: I alredy did, but it's quite buggy. I also ported some art from other Sonic games, such as the Sonic CD signpost.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2013
  2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Maybe you can change that "S" to a number "50" instead to indicate that.

3. fdswerty

Another update???????

Yes, It's me again, but a screen wouldn't show it at all, so I've uploaded a video, showing off a update in my S3 hack: A JumpDash Mixed with The Insta-Shield!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuimG3xsxdE&feature=youtu.be

Also, I started coding it from 0, So it isn't a Copy/Paste of the code of the JumpDash of hyper Sonic.

Comments & Feedback welcome, also, you can suggest how should I improve the code  :).

4. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Now its my turn. Was debating for a while if I should keep what I have done, since the last release of my hack a secret but I decided what the hell.

First things first yes this video is of a little lower quility but it only took and hour to upload on youtube so it was worth it.

Here is a list of things you will see.

1. Completed Sonic 3 Peelout Sprites, I had to start the Sonic 2 sprites from scratch to get them too work since I went over the top amount of mapping tiles I could have. I replaciing almost all of them, (except for Some Super Sonic sprites) I now only have C8E number of tiles instead of 1006.

2. The regular sonic run sprites still show until you get up to the maximum speed then you will see them change to the peelout.

3. An imporved EHZ layout for Sonic

4. Knuckles very own path, start position, and layout for both acts

5. Working Sonic Sega screen sprites

Here are a list of things Im sure you guys will catch, that need work

1. Sonic's Peelout does not charge up properly

2. Act 2 music has some squeaking sounds in one part of it.

3. Knuckles act 2 layout is kind of lazy, (I.E, too short)

Just throw out any feed back I am open to any suggestions or critisisums. Also I know its long sorry and I used Windows Live Movie Maker but I ddint cut any scenes since I dont know how to use the program very well.

Edit: Oh and new palettes created by Mike B. Berry.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  5. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

Oh. So you want to add the jump dash into Sonic 3 and Knuckles? Then my interest just dropped dramatically.

That may sound a little harsh, but not only have the majority of new hacks tried to implement a jump dash already but 2 other things that are obvious from the start are staring me in the face:

1. Hyper Sonic has an air dash that also kills all enemies. Why would you give that unique ability to standard Sonic when he already has an array of moves at his disposal.
    2. Sonic 3K has the insta sheild, which is now useless in it's original form. Say I was jumping into an orbinaut and I tried to kill it with the insta sheild by pressing jump... I might kill it or go right over it with the jump dash. Even worse, i might get bit by the top of him because I didn't consider the trajectory. 
    It's your hack and I wish you the best of luck but I don't care too much for the jump dash. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2013
  6. redhotsonic

DAGarden, does that mean you're not interested in my hack anymore? :(

[​IMG]

Bearing in mind, I did add this dash many years ago before everyone else started to add the dash (everyone wanted homing attack so I chose this path).

Joenick69, watched EHZ1&2.  Not bad.  What I like most about it is that you've actually tried to make it longer in many ways.  It took you a while to get to the end of act 1 and same with act 2 (btw, why did you cut the boss off?  Was looking forward to him jumping up onto that ledge =P).  You didn't do what many others do; make a quick layout and thought "that'll do".  You weren't lazy and you tried to make it longer and more enjoyable in many ways.

But, as usual, there's always bad sides.  First of all, way too many 1-ups, especially act 2.  I'd say you want a maximum of 3 1-ups per act.  A lot of your rings are placed in okay locations, but not in line with one another.  And it wasn't common, but did spot a fair few of 128 chunks not matching with each other.  And them monekys are throwing way too many bombs; them sound effects became annoying.  Plus a few buzz-bombers went into walls, but now I'm being nit-picky.

7. JoenickROS

Thanks RHS yeah it took me a while to make this layout have more options of paths that would be enjoyable for the player. Also I want to add that I followed your guys advice and got rid of some of the annoying fish Badniks that were on the bridges in Sonics or whoevers path that were to hard to spot since I placed them at a parts were the character is running at full speed, which I started to find annoying myself XD. What did you think about the Sonic 3 peelout sprites and how I gave sonic a 3rd running mode with them? It's been done before I know it's just a major accomplishment to me because of the little ASM knowledge I have lol Also Robotnik goes thorough the hill not on top of it lol
    Yeah maybe the raging Badniks idea has run it's course or I could just put coconuts back to his original behavior so the sound effects are not constantly going off. It's ok to be nitpicky like I said all and any criticizums or suggestions are welcome =P.

Also have a new CNZ, HTZ, and MCZ layout but debating on showing them. My original plan was too submit it to the contest this year but I will be taking a league of absence for 3 months and my two teammates have other projects to attend to also Mike has not been online for the last 4 days. Thanks for your feed back RHS I appreciate it :)

Edit: Thomas looks like our hacks won't be competing against each other this year :p

8. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

RHS, before the revision of Winter Hill Zone in my hack, I ended up doing just that  :(

Anyway, time for my feedback on this video:

Pros:

• Longer levels: Your level layouts are quite a bit longer than before, and I say nice job on that.
    • Super Peel-Out: You have added the Super Peel-Out to your hack, which is something that is relatively difficult to do if you want to do it right. Well done.​
    Cons:

• Monkey dudes: The Coconuts badniks (read: monkey dudes) still throw coconuts far too fast. I suggest you slow it down a little, or, alternatively, modify the layout around it so the player can actually escape it. Putting one of these hyper monkeys right after a section where you run/roll upwards is most likely bad level design. I know I am probably in no position to say as such since I myself still have some stupid decisions in my hack, but that's the truth.
    • Waterfalls in Act 1: In Act 1 of Sunset Hill Zone, the waterfalls are not animated, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if this is just an oversight.

Overall, Joenick, it's looking good. I look forward to seeing more levels.

9. JoenickROS

About the Waterfall yeah This occurred when Mike told me to delete the Title Water file since it is hardcoded and replaced it with a file he created that wasn't but for some reason it works in EHZ act 2 but not act 1. Anyone have an idea on why that is?

10. Alriightyman

Alriightyman I'm back! Member

Yeah, pretty much everything RHS has said. The most annoying thing I noticed was the "broken" waterfalls. Also, the waterfalls don't "move" either. 

Good job on the peel-out!  The animation is a little off, but that's ok for now. 

And of course, layouts are gettting much better.

EDIT:  Took me 20 minutes to write this text.

11. JoenickROS

Correction they move in EHZ act 2 but not 1 as explained above.

Edit: Oh alright my bad

12. fdswerty

I will simply make 2 versions, one with the Jump Dash, and other with the InstaShield.

I hope that you don't mind about that, But some people like the Jump Dash, and other the Insta Shield, So I decided to make 2 Alternative versions.

13. ThomasThePencil

Or you could please everybody by having one button (for example, B) activate the jump dash, and another button (for example, C) activate the insta-shield. It's a bit confusing at first, but you'll understand.

14. fdswerty

I'm sorry, but I am not going to add extra moves (Excluding the peel-out) So I'll just keep one, so that's why i'll relase 2 alternate versions.

EDIT: I posted with the quote, but when I wanted to remove it, my connection timed out. My fail.

15. ThomasThePencil

The jumpdash is the simplest thing in the world to code. It's possible to code it in no less than five minutes, regardless of the game you're hacking.

16. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

No, because your air dash is similar to Sonic Advance's style, which doesn't also conflict with an insta shield. It's not as powerful and can't be spammed to achieve insane speed.

You shouldn't have to make 2 different versions. I was just voicing my opinion, that's all. If you want the jump dash, then by all means do so. I was just saying why I dislike it, especially in Sonic 3K.

I like it; the chunks fit together in most places which is good to see.

The only 2 glaring problems I noticed were way too many objects (especially 1-up monitors and monitors in general) and the chunk cut off in some areas (where 1 path goes over or under another).

Keep it at; I'm also interested in Knuckles' exclusive routes.

17. fdswerty

Hmmm, Okay, I'll keep the Insta-Shield, Also, Why was I thinking of making 2 versions? Because I like both the Insta Shield and the Jump Dash, but, I'll keep the Insta-Shield for being useful in some parts of the game, and not the Jump Dash for being buggy.

Well, Limbo is coming on. See ya until I am a member.

18. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHbt6pxTfCI

Guess what I'm actually working on again.

(For those that saw this in the other thread, I am actually working on it again. It's not just a tease. :p)

19. redhotsonic

I must have.  Now.

20. ThomasThePencil

This, this, and this all the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.