General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Act 1 or 2 is the horrid palette?

Edit: Your baby did you originally create Sonic 2 or CNZ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  2. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Act 1 is painful. A red hue just doesn't fit...at all. Act 2 is less eye raping, but still bad.

I treat CNZ as my baby. Ever since I joined this godforsaken community, I've always had a special place in my heart of CNZ.

3. JoenickROS

I except your opinion but until someone else agrees its eye raping it stays as is, sorry I know its your baby but I need more convincing that its eye raping before I change it..

4. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

The act 1 palette. The colours of the FG and the BG clash. Also the BG has too many red. At least use black for the sky, so It won't be so eye-rapish

However I like your layouts.

EDIT: I didn't told that the act 2 palette is eye-rapish, but it could look better.

5. JoenickROS

I agree with the act 1 palette now but act 2 doesnt seem eye raping at all.

[​IMG]

Edit: Hows that better, worse?.Im keeping the colors just dying them down. I want the SSZ music to still fit.

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Okay, level layout is not bad at all, and I like the palettes and the music suits very well.  Although became a little disapointed when the second half of the level was unchanged.  Some object placements could be better; a lot of springs leads Sonic straight into traps that are unavoidable.  As for the life counter, that's mine! =P

I also enjoyed your level layout, although there was a lot of wierd object placements.  Especially the lifts in act 1, why were they not level?  Some badniks weren't on the floor, and some flippers misplaced and some bouncers misplaced.  Otherwise, not bad.  Palette could do with an improvement.  Music suits well.  BTW, the end of act 1 with the loop, NO!  Just before you start to loop, you hit the sign.  Now, unless mistaken, does Sonic automatically still run to the side?  If so, what if I suddenly changed my mind about that loop and just stood on it?  Sonic would then automatically try running to the right from the beginning and without enough speed, he won't be able to get round that loop.  There you go, game is now stuck.

Act 2, same as before really.  Although seeing a boss change was nice, but got boring pretty quick.  Is Eggman on speed (literally)?  Except from rushing from side to side, he doesn't do much.  When you fell, I saw that he drops bombs, but come on, that's a bit harsh, we're not to expect that bomb at a great speed.  Again, palette could be better.  It's better than act 1, but them circle bumpers seem camouflaged to me.  Funnily enough, the music for this act doesn't suit the level at all.

BTW, can't remember what act it was, but the gambling slots, you had two right next to each other (so 6 slots), that looks odd.  Just keep it to 1 (3 slots). 

And now ladies and gentleman, some advice about posting YouTube videos of your layouts!  Stop it.  It's nice showing us your layouts and such, but you shouldn't.  A screenshot of a palette change or a very short video of a new object/boss/badnik, that's okay.  But not layouts.  Why?  Because I've seen it all now.  When I come to play your hack, it won't feel "new" to me anymore.  In other words, for example mind you, Joenick69, when I come to play your hack, what's the point in me playing CNZ when you just showed me the whole thing?  See where I am coming from?

7. JoenickROS

There is your answer to the loop end in Act 1 RHS.

Edit: Sonic will no longer get stuck but I also did this because I was thinking of maybe adding the end posses later on.

What if at those slots I made your rings double?

8. redhotsonic

If you made all 6 slots separate, then yes, but if the 1st and 4th, 2nd and 5th, 3rd and 6th slots are always going to start and stop and be the same, then no.

9. JoenickROS

This is a palette Mike has been working on for act 1 of HTZ for my hack.

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

Edit: Along with the changed CNZ act 2 palette.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  10. Alriightyman

Alriightyman I'm back! Member

Actually, I thought that was kinda cool.  There was nothing "extra" or "special" it just looked cool.

But I do agree about showing layouts.  Sure I showed them recently, but they have been altered, and will most likely change once more.  And as for bosses, don't show the really "awesome" boss, leave that as a surprise, although a screen shot is ok.

Now, the red in CNZ 1's background, well, I would bring it back to black and see how it looks.  The red hue doesn't look good at all.  Layouts are getting much better! Keep it up!

I don't know how I feel about HTZ's grass...........

CNZ2's looking better.

11. JoenickROS

[​IMG]

There, I changed the forground color too.

As for the layouts I am only changing EHZ, CNZ, HTZ, and MCZ's. Mike and the other team member, (not from SSRG) are changing the other zones.

12. JoenickROS

(Sorry double post need your opinion on another palette this time for ARZ act 1)

Its a little bright to me but at the same time it looks good, but Ill let you guys be the judge of that.

[​IMG]

13. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

I think that purple is a bit too bright, but other than that it looks pretty good.

EDIT: Also, please don't double post. It's bad forum etiquette, as Sir Ordos has explained to me in my hack's topic :U

14. redhotsonic

I'm no palette/art expert, but that palette is actually awesome. And I think that purple is fine. In my eyes, I wouldn't change a thing.

15. JoenickROS

Oh why thank you RHS, but I cant take all the credit Mike was the one that improved the forground, light green part. Orignially there was brown mixed in with the green for the forground which look kind of bad. Now I just need to improve my shitty layout. lol

16. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

That palette is pretty good. Maybe a little less purple (seriously, why not light blue or something?), but otherwise good.

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The purple looks good in my opinion, it's probably grabbing people's attention because of the background mountains, if they were slightly darker in comparison to the foreground, perhaps it would work better? I don't know, I have no problems with it, it doesn't hurt my eyes, and that's all I care about.

Speaking of colours that hurt people's eye, here's a little something secret I've been working on for half a year now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously, it's a work in progress, but whatever, I haven't showcased anything in a long long while.

18. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

Art looks good, as always, but who's the character?

19. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

[​IMG]

I know... My palette skills are quite bad.. But whatever, Shall I keep the old one or this one?

EDIT:

@Sonic Boom:

I've been trying to make the palette a bit more "Realistic" and this was the result:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  20. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

That palette is actually quite good. The only thing I'd adjust is giving the mountains a bit more of a progressing red-orange hue (as opposed to the progressing blue hue) to match the sky really well. I like the sunset look you're going for.

Edit:

That's a much better improvement, if you can just tweak those farther back mountains, you're golden. Awesome work though! =)

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.