The 2013 Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Ayla, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Posted from my news article, but I'll just leave it in here:

Today, and honestly the whole week, I have been more or less been in and out of the activities due to me being in the final week of Statistics, and thus needing to study. Though I've been like a revolving door, I have been paying attention of what has been going on, and I am quite glad that everybody here is having a good time. I am glad there are so many people enjoying the hacks. Most importantly, I am glad there are so many people coming to site, watching or even making their own streams. That makes me happy, and it shows that this year we have been blessed with good fortune.

That doesn't excuse what happened today.

I get out of taking my Stat's final and check out the top secret judges Skype group where we all hang out with high priced bitches and snort cocaine in a manner like similar to 19th century gentlemen. Of course while this is all happening, we all sip a fine glass of brandy with a bit of scotch mixed.....

Anyways, I check the group and find that I'm getting reports that viewers on the streams are being dicks and being outright rude. Of course, I wasn't able to read the comments, but I did watch the replay of the stream. MegaGWolf got pissed off enough to quit his stream because his mods are tired of dealing with shit. People, that is bad. When the streamer gets mad enough to QUIT his stream because his viewers are being asshats. I was told a lot of the comments were not just rude towards each other, but also towards Elliot. 

What the fuck people? 

I seriously ask, what the actual fuck? Look, I understand all of you want to have fun, express opinions, do whatever, but that doesn't mean you say "fuck all" to the rules. The rules are there for a reason, being decorative suggestions isn't a reason. Having fun doesn't mean being a total ass. Ok, in jokes and whatever, ha ha ha. Funny. Stop repeating them. Even if the mod doesn't care, please have some kind of intelligible conversation going on. Most of us watching the streams are old enough to carry on a normal conversation....no. Old enough to just use common sense. I know I'm not the poster child of being self-contained or even being calm, but I do know when to quit. I know Spanner already addressed this, but it happened again.

A mod from SomeCallMeJohnny's stream had reported to me people had begun to get rowdy in there as well. Not as bad as MegaG's stream, but cutting close. 

Again, I ask.

What the fuck people? 

One time is bad, but two? Two times today it's happened, not to mention, John's stream had nearly quadruple the amount of people than Elliot's. This mod said he had easily banned well over 100 people. Come on guys, that's uncalled for. Get your shit together or I will talk to both tomorrow morning and seeing if they would be willing to cancel the stream. I'm sorry for those who are not being dicks, asshats, anal rapists, whatever insults; but we, the judges, streames, and mods, will not put up with this. John and Elliot sacrificing time from their own busy lives to do these streams isn't something they HAVE to do. This is something they want to do, and a number of you people are making their mod's jobs hell. I will say this once, and only once. 

Fucking quit that shit right now, or I will ensure the streams won't happen. Or, I can ensure you that next year, all this media coverage will not be happening. The fact that a large group, though a minority but nevertheless large number, find it funny or fun to be a dick and just ignore the rules. I don't want to be the bad guy here and kill off some great fun, but if this shit keeps happening, I will insure it stops, one way or another. 

I will personally apologize to all those who are not being the above. I'm sorry that I'm having to pull the big guns out, but this shit is ridiculous. I know that it could potentially make us lose viewers/visitors, but I'd rather lose viewers and attention than make these guy's lives a living hell. Bear in mind, these guys VOLUNTEERED to do this. They can back out at anytime. 

With that said, I bid everybody adieu. Very much disappointed that today turned out like this, but let's hope that tomorrow turns out better.

2. KosmoF

KosmoF Masochistic epileptic FEMALE gamer! Member

Please note: Any use of [CENSORED!] in the following post indicates the presence of strong language; out of respect of others I prefer for censor certain words I have used when no replacement words come to mind.  With that said, on with my evaluation of the daily "highlights" over on Twitch.

Although I've not seen John's Day 4 show (I watch them post-stream), I have been watching Ellliot's ones daily, and as someone who saw first hand the [CENSORED!] GearStrike, the other mods, and most importantly Elliot himself, has been going through it amazing how pathetic, and immature, chat room participants can be; also, as SuperEgg stated above, it's flaming uncalled for! Every... let me repeat that, EVERY night, as opposed to getting better, things got worse and worse in Elliot's chat; not only were he and his mods forced to endure 'broken record' syndrome (constantly repeat themselves) with reminding viewers about the existence of rules etc, each night the number of warnings and deleted messages were mounting up.  It's [CENSORED!] ridiculous when said messages begin dominating those left behind but, as I saw last night, that feat was achieved and there was no [CENSORED!] need for it!

Again, as stated above, these people volunteer their own time for our (SSRG, Sonic Retro, other viewers) sake and provide us with entertainment; however, when various people in the chat decide to use the term 'entertainment' for being absolute irresponsible, [CENSORED!] morons it's taking things too far.  Oh, and you want to know one of the most pathetic things about last night? After Elliot went offline the chat spent what would have been the last 30 minutes of the stream "attempting" to preach their apologies; however, it was easy to tell they didn't really feel any remorse for what they had done because they continued to break the rules.  Obviously only SuperEgg, and maybe some admins, knows what the outcome of his discussion with both Elliot and John is, but to be honest I wouldn't be surprise, or blame either streamer, if they turned around and said "[CENSORED!] this! Find some other gullible/masochistic streamer!"  Yes I know the latter sentence in that example was harsh, but after what's been going on it's the first thing that sprang to mind.

In brief, the attitude of around a 3rd of Elliot's recent chat room visitors has been [CENSORED!] retarded; end of story!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2013
  3. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Only a few more days left but there's still stuff to do.

-7pm BST / 2pm EST to 9pm BST / 4pm EST - MegaGWolf Stream

-9pm BST / 4pm EST to 11pm BST / 6pm EST - Spanner Stream

-11pm BST / 6pm EST to 12am BST / 7pm EST - Radio Rev: Hacking Contest Edition

-1am BST / 8pm EST to 3am BST / 10pm EST - SomecallmeJohnny Stream

I intend to do a stream of myself tonight and tomorrow, basically showing off a selection of entries (no Generations mods due since my computer will probably shit itself). There will be commentary from the usual podcast people too. Once again I have to remind people to behave in the stream chats as it's getting to a point where if you are found doing something that you have been told countless times not to do, it's not just a timeout you'll receive, if you are a repeat offender, you're banned. Stop asking streamers to play this hack or that hack, if it's not in the hacking contest, IT WILL NOT BE PLAYED. END OF. I won't tolerate the same shitposting from the MegaGWolf and SomecallmeJohnny streams so if you do the same shit you have done there, you're gone. We're here to watch the entries be played, not ask countless times for Sonic 2 XL to be played or mentioning something.exe / OF DOOM. YOU'RE NOT FUNNY. YOU NEVER WERE.

4. TimpZ

TimpZ Well-Known Member Member

I have watched a total of around 30 minutes of Johnnys stream live so I'm not terrible updated on who's posting what etc on the streams. However, I've been a regular user of twitch.tv for 1½ years now, both streaming and watching. I'm a mod in several channels that get at least a couple thousand viewers, even more with just a couple hundred and I've had upwards of 700 people in my own channel at one point (though it's never been over 100 regularly).

What you need to realise is that any chat with 100-200+ viewers is capable of being total shit. This is how twitch chats work. I recommend you taking a look at https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/sgdq_2013_chat_log_and_chat_highlights_2.html#sgdq_2013_chat_log_and_chat_highlights_2

There's so many that don't care about if they get timed out because they have 10 alternate accounts and don't plan to continue visit the streamer other than for a small time period. People like to troll, this is the internet. Moderate it the best you can, definitely, but if you can't handle it maybe the internet isn't for you.

Additionally, I have a hard time thinking that a majority of those people are people who are active on any of the hacking forums. All it takes for a stream with a couple hundred viewers to be shit is 10-20 people. For a stream with 1000 viewers you can easily imagine 50 people, 5%, to be asshats. I don't think posting about it here will help at all.

5. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Let us break this down shall we? 

We realize this. In fact, I see it everywhere. From Youtube to Twitch, I've seen all-out-wars in the comment section. HOWEVER: I have seen cival chat rooms. I see them just as often as I see the ones that are completely out of control. Throughout the week, both streams have been relatively fine. But last night and afternoon, turned into something ​absolutely unacceptable. Mega G Wolf has 22,000 subscribers, with 2,000 people watching his videos each week (give or take). John has nearly DOUBLE that subscriber amount, and nearly double the view count in one week. Most of the time, the comments are cival. But when a streamer has to quit his own stream, THAT is ridiculous. There is no excuse why Mega G Wolf should have to shut his stream down. John had 7 times as many viewers, yet he didn't quit the stream.  

That is true, but there is a limit to how much one person can take. Mega G Wolf reached his limit yesterday. It may all be in good fun, but it shouldn't EVER get to the point where someone has to stop what they're doing just to catch a break.

Believe me buddy, G Wolf CAN handle it. He's done it in the past, and he has 22,000 subs to boot. Still want to claim the internet isn't for him? Because it looks like the internet is showing him a lot of love right now.   

That is true, I can testify to that after seeing John's stream. However, there are people who watch the streams that do frequent hacking forums, who do watch the streams, such as Electroball and myself. If those people misbehave in the chat, there is no excuse.

Maybe the people reading this will give the information to the morons on the stream. If they want the stream to keep going, they'll stop. Plus, if the media part does shut down, it will be a major blow for those who want to try out the good hacks and skip the duds.

Going back to the topic in general, it's flat-out ridiculous that people do crap like this. It's offensive to the hacking community, it's offensive to the viewers who aren't breaking the rules, and most important, it's offensive to Elliot. Like KosmoF, I wouldn't be surprised if both streamers said, "forget this! we're out!" 

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

The thing is, if I heard correctly, MegaGWolf had a banging headache yesterday.  So when the chat room got out of hand, and he's playing video games for our behalf, I don't blame him quitting.

But then again, you lot are also right.  When a chat room gets 200+ people, not everyone is going to behave themselves.  You can't expect 100% of people to act accordingly.  SuperEgg, you said if it gets out of hand again, the streams will just go down.  This is fair enough, but why not just disable the chat feature altogether if it gets out of hand rather than the whole thing?  Or is that not possible?

7. Misinko

Disabling the chat sounds good, but then you got to think about the idiots who may PM Mega G Wolf complaining that the chat is off. Then again, both users may get tons of backlash for shutting the streams down. Either way, I think closing the chat box would be a better option, as it stops idiots from doing stupid things, while still giving media coverage of the hacks in question. 

8. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    I talked to Donnie about that actually last night. He's 100% certain, but he believes the stream's chat rooms can not be closed, otherwise he would've done it. For the streams today, not certain bout G's, but John's, there will extra mods patrolling. The events of yesterday were uncalled for, and my threat is still valid. I will not lose sleep over having to cancel streams, or just drop all media coverage or next year. I can't have the mods be babysitting the chats. It's ridiculous, and it's not fair to them. I know it sounds like I'm punishing everyone,but it's come to that point. For those who do know proper behavior, let the idiots be stupid. The mods will take of them. In a chat room with that many people, modding isn't the best way to help. Just a friendly warning. Anywho, hope that today does better than yesterday.

9. Misinko

Fantastic man. I don't blame you, if I was a judge, I'd do the same. Neither of these two deserve to have to put up with the crap that they did. So, let's see how this turns out, and hope it does better than yesterday.  

10. TimpZ

TimpZ Well-Known Member Member

if a moderator types "/subscribers" in chat, it puts it into subcribers only mode which means only moderators and subscribers (if the channel has those with the $5 monthly fee) can chat. "/subscribersoff" turns it off again.

I recommend the mods and streamers to study this page: http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/659095-chat-moderation-commands

EDIT: Make it clear that not behaving will not be tolerated. If the chat goes too fast, put on subscribers, ban all the idiots, put on a time limit and take away subscribers again. Wait a couple minutes. If the problem persists, repeat. Given you have enough mods (3-5) it shouldn't be a problem. If anyone has any knowledge on making bots, those can be added too through IRC.

11. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Thankfully MegaGWolf's stream was better than yesterday's. I'm starting my own live stream at 9pm BST / 4pm EST which is just only a few minutes away so get in here and watch more hacks.

12. bobbysq

bobbysq Newcomer Trialist

Even if it is impossible to disable chat, it shouldn't be too hard to create a bot to mute people upon joining.

Edit: Context

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
  13. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
  14. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Just to confirm the above I will be hosting a music workshop! I'll be covering a few things in it, which include:

• Preparing a midi for SMPS from start to finish in FL Studio
    • mid2smps conversion in full
    • My workflow
    • Tips and tricks
    • Q&A
    There may be a few guests lined up to assist me, but don't hold me to that. If all goes planned I will be starting at the times Spanner has lined out in the above post.

15. SteelTitanium

SteelTitanium Newcomer Member

I just finished watching MegaGWolf's stream. And it was better, not perfect. But it wasn't that bad that caused MegaGWolf to stop streaming like the other day. There was some bans here and there, But the chat was ok today.

16. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

For those who missed my workshop earlier:

Project files will soon be uploaded to the repository.

17. SteelTitanium

I have a question, will John be streaming tonight? Because in the post Spanner posted earlier today, it don't mention that he will be streaming tonight.

18. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

He finished streaming yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  19. SteelTitanium

Thank you, I was just wondering why he wasn't going to stream today. That's everything for now, I'll post more if I have more questions that need to be asked.

20. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Please join us for the results show on MegaGWolf's stream at http://www.twitch.tv/megagwolf as we announce this year's winners of the Hacking Contest from 7pm BST / 2pm EST.

A thread will be posted with this year's winners after the stream has ended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.