Random hack/Mini project thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DanielHall, May 24, 2010.

1. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

(Cross-posted from Sonic Retro) I found a very small bug in Sonic Labyrinth just now. There's only one song that plays in Stereo, sound number $08 while the rest don't. But I fixed that very small bug. It's just something that bothers me, I really love the music in this game, and I wanted to hear my favorite song "correctly". See, the programmers intentionally wanted each song to play in stereo, but set an incorrect flag to do so. I just fixed their mistake. Here's the ROM: http://www.mediafire.com/?fobhmfxh1vgh814

2. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Oh yes, how the creators didn't noticed that!!

But well, thanks, I like that music too.

3. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

A little taster of what shall be a feature in the hack I am uploading for the Hacking Contest.

Clicky.

4. MicroChirp

MicroChirp Wow, I was so stupid a few years ago... Member

Oh, a nice minihack, but it's buggy, as when you jump to the right you must press right to go right and when you land, you have to press left to go left.

A hack like this one was on Sonic Retro, I have both versions of it, the first version, which is like yours and a more complete version, where the controls are totally upside down.

5. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Copy/Paste from RetroHack

I'll start by saying hello, and merry christmas. Basically me and deoxyskyogre were talking about doing a christmas hack, and well we did. However we started it rather late and so there are things to note here:

Not all the art for ghz is finished

The layout didn't really get changed

There are bound to be bugs

Bugs with palcycle

The screenshot with the hud is old

I have no idea what happened to the hud with the other screenshots

Others...

Updates will most likely be made after xmas, no they will be. So I hope not too many of you are sighing yet, its still playable and not too bad if I do say myself. There is a simple story to go with it.

Sonic finds out that Green Hill Zone is starting to frost for some reason, the trees turn blue, the grass turned to snow, is this christmas?. Something is not quite natural about the snow. Sonic suspects rotbotnik is up to something and goes to find him. He then is later tricked and zapped by robotnik's ice ray and dropped down to green hill zone.

Now sonic is glowing with a mysterious blue light, and robotnik must be stopped.

Screenies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better look at the backround.

Overall I'm happy and not happy, it was just a race to the finish and wish me and deoxys started early.

Featured:

New fg and bg art for ghz

Some new object art

Snow(Broken, deoxys is fixing it)

Stars instead of rings

Slight tweak to the layout (hardly noticeable)

Ring Rink port from Ristar

And finally the moment you may have be waiting for after this wall of text here the download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/d3romg

As you proberly guessed, ghz is the only edited level being it a mini hack. Sonic may get features for his new colour.

Credits:

Animemaster(Me): Art, music

Doexyskyogre: Programming (Snow, palcycle)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
  6. SSGD

SSGD "I can't believe what cool boots you have on!" Member

Gave it a whirl and it was pretty neat on the whole. Sonics icy recolouring does throw me though as I thought it was a pallet fault but then I skimmed back over the info and realised he's meant to be like that. The HUB not being on screen either looks weird and makes the game feel....I dunno...naked somehow I guess. Maybe I'm just too much used to seeing Score Time Rings in the top left corner.

The stars instead of rings is a nice little change and do indeed fit in well with the games purpose of being winter. I also find it amusing how it continues to snow in each level through the game even after Green Hill. Makes me want to think it's volcanic ash when I get to the Marble Zone.

Overall, not a bad little hack for Christmas day.

7. Ravenfreak

So I've been messing around with the collision data in Sonic 2 8-bit to get a feel of how things work and I made this small hack. I've changed the solidity data in each zone to $8D, which is the breakable wall's solidity data. (It's originally $81 for solid collision of course.) So I present to you Sonic 2 Fragile Edition! :eek: The ROM itself isn't broken. xP As I explained above now every block (except for slopes and hazards) are breakable. So getting hurt might actually help you out in this hack, but might also fuck you over. xP Here's a link and have fun. :3

http://www.mediafire...94bdxjvtqya1yj9

8. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

I played this earlier and found it a great challenge!

9. Animemaster

Its late but its here.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/komqsn

Everything me and deoxyskyogre could get done before 2012. Well its not 2012 for me yet anyways.

No screenies as there are screenshots on my previous. If I have time, the video will be here as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2012
  10. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Okay, I'll post all of what I think could be be improved, as you may want a little criticism.

It'd be rather cool to see some form of edit to the Sega screen to match the general snowy theme you're setting for this hack. The scrolling on the title screen is strange and could use a little work on. That W in Snow Peak needs work. (An upside-down M won't cut it. :eek:)

On the plus side, I like the new bonus stage, the edits to the physics and the rolling snowball.

BTW, what's with radioactive Sonic?

11. Animemaster

I'm not working on this hack anymore, it was only ment to be a christmas/new year mini project. After that, I dust my hands off it sorry. And Sonic is not radioactive as you put it, but if you read the original post then you'll know.

12. SSGD

Again, had fun with the S1Xmas edition Animemaster. I just enjoy the simplicity behind it all the while adding new bits and pieces here and there. Just what happened to the snow though? Was it still glitching so it became scrapped from the game?

13. Animemaster

Your pretty much spot on, I didn't want broken snow so I ask deoxyskyogre to remove it. But I believe deoxys is working on a newer version with the snow being fixed. Also thanks, glad you like it. What do people think of the revamped bg?.

14. SSGD

Definitely fills out the all blue void above the mountains from the original release. A good balance between the stars and the dusk/dawn skylines that have now been added in; certainly makes it more appealing during gameplay.

15. Animemaster

Cool, thanks for the feedback I appreciated it.

16. Ravenfreak

So I got bored, and decided to hack Sonic 2. I added a boost, hold B down to use it. :V I also went ahead and ported my code to Sonic 3k. Here are both roms:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bx5yk93wu3as6f0 (Sonic 3k)

http://www.mediafire.com/?hhnhnhz8v228f65 (Sonic 2)

Enjoy. ;)

17. DarkLeach

DarkLeach Well-Known Member Member

18. SSGD

The boost in Sonic 2 seems as though it doesn't want to work at points, I think this is because the B button can still be used for jump so it's kinda clashing in a way. The boost in S3K though is pretty much working fine though.

19. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

The B button in Sonic 3K could also be used for a jump too.

20. SSGD

True, but it didn't seem to want to cancel out the use of boost at points unlike what Sonic 2 was doing when I was playing it.