Sonic Paint

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by MarkeyJester, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Paint the levels as much as you can...

Download

2. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

Let me guess... while painting, does the game changes the palette row? =D. Anywho, I love this hack. Awesome, just awesome^.

3. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

Highly interesting Marky, this is yet another one for the books. Although I have to ask what gave you the inspiration to make a hack like this?

4. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

It crashes at the end.

5. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

Yeah, the credits freak out pretty bad. Also, you can finish Scrap Brain 3 the normal way by bouncing up on the springs and you get no points for the level :(

This is a cool idea though and the presentation is great :)

6. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

SPOILER WARNING. Seriously though, click that link if you want.

I really loved this hack, so I wanted to give it a real-time playthrough, no planning, no savestates, just pure fun. I wouldn't be surprised if there are better paths, or if someone can play better than me and achieve more points. I don't care, I had fun :U

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
  7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Ahaha, I like how the game just outright crashed at the end, I donno what the hell happened there...

Your Green Hill Zone Act 3 playthrough was incredible, I struggled to get 4000 blocks myself.

59630 Blocks, anyone up to the challenge?

8. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Out of curiosity, why was this topic in "Discussion & Q&A"? I moved it to the Showroom because I think it makes more sense here.

9. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Weird idea with great execution, but then again, I expect no less from you. Fun to play, and beat other people's scores. 

10. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

I'm going to sound like a bit of a bastard saying this, but hear me out. Although this hack is well executed as always and is a great concept, I found it a little disappointing as I expected something else from the title and opening post. My initial thought was that this would play out a little bit like the Steamboat Willie level from Mickey Mania, in that the zones would start off greyscale and the zone's natural colour would filter in as you pass over stuff. To see it actually turn the palettes into an alternate palette leads me to believe that kind of concept could be possible. Markey, could you confirm if this is the case?

Excellent hack though, I think I was just a bit disappointed at the fact it didn't represent the concept I always hoped to attempt one day when my asm skills are better. As always, I look forward to seeing your future work.

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

There is already a hack that seems to fit your description to some degree

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=29719&st=0

As for Sonic Paint...

It's a ROM hack that's designed for experimental purposes, you may have noticed that my recent hacks have all been minor tests on certain effects, this one is no exception.

It uses the players as guinea pigs, the idea is that anyone can produce a hack with very minimal effort and very minimal changes data wise, and still gain quite a lot of respect in the process, the players are completely unaware of the minimal work entrusted within this hack and supply it with more attention and glory that it's actually worth, it proves that people are very simple when it comes to giving them entertainment, and it doesn't hold here at Sonic ROM hacking either, you only need to take a look at TV, or facebook, or whatever, and you can sort of detect a pattern.

There was actually a second experiment inside the ROM, and this was more of a personal experiment, to prove that by using 4000 bytes of data, you can cover and recall the state of 20000 blocks in a level size of 4000 x 800 (all hex) of Sonic levels.

So what hack will I go for next? We'll see, maybe it'll be yet another experimental hack like the last couple, maybe it'll be more graphical with less programming involved, who knows? It's better if it were a mystery.

12. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

I was actually aware of that hack and I guess that does work in a similar way to the Steamboat Willie level in Mickey Mania. The concept that interested me was more of a combination between your hack and that hack, so that the colour is brought back to areas you pass over.

These experiments you mentioned, are they purely social experiments of sorts or are you gathering reactions and data for features you intend to put into one of your homebrew games?

13. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

No, it's just for fun.

14. Kroglander

Kroglander Newcomer Trialist

nice idea, It was fun painting the environment red although there didn't seem much more depth to it than that.

Then again you said yourself it was just for fun so it did exactly that.

15. ProfessorRenderer

ProfessorRenderer Certified Bear Scientist Member

38924 blocks. Not bad for a newbie. Also, the credits are hilariously screwed up.

16. HyperFlare

HyperFlare Newcomer Member

Hey since this game is all about painting the level,

would it be possible to add a colour mode that you can unlock once you've finished the game once?

Colour mode would/could include the wisps from Sonic Colours so You can colour more of the levels.

Drill: Enables you to move throught solid ground and water.

Laser: Basicly what it does in Sonic Colours

Void: Increases player size with each 10 enemies consumed, meaning more PAINTING!

Cube: Paints a large square around you upon hitting the ground.

Spikes: Allows you to stick to walls and touch spikes without getting hurt.

Just some ideas if you want to add to it.

You're awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.