General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

As I said earlier, let's just wait and see how it goes.

2. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

Deets? I love Sonic and love Decap Attack so I just gotta know more.

Haha, my love for Decap Attack got the best of me and I started to make this. Keep in mind, I'm only doing this on the side, so don't get your hopes up.

(And, actually, It's quite surprising how well Chuck D. Head fits in Sonic 1 size wise.)

I do too. It's so fun to read.

3. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Sam, what kind of bullshit response is that? I'm sorry I'm not praising him and sucking his dick for his art ports. They just don't feel right no matter how good they look. And after conversing with him on IRC, he hasn't expressed anything outside of wanting to end the trend of "Insert random Sonic Character" in Sonic 2 and be a different character. All in all, he just wanted to change the sprite art of a character to something not Sonic. And as I stated, I have no problem with, in fact it could be interesting. However, I'm yet to hear anybody disagree that the art doesn't look right in Sonic 2. Not because of the missing colors, because the art doesn't fit. 

Now, I know I'm going to get pounded with all the regular, "Just wait till he posts more." or "Maybe he's going to do some more." And I can respond to that by saying, no. Why am I? I've talked to him on IRC, and he's expressed that this hack is just a sprite swap to "Terra" from FF6. With that said, why are we even arguing the point then? I'm not being negative, I'm not being condescending, I'm not trying to put him down, I'm not trying to say he sucks. Hell, I haven't even went on my usual tirades of anger. I'm expressing my opinion as is based on what I know. I'm sorry if you find it "negative", which mind you is childish, I'm telling him the truth. If he wants to swap character art, fine. But as I've stated countless times, he better adapt the art to the style of Sonic. Plain and fucking simple. If he changes his art, I will change my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
  4. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

I feel the same, but I'm more calm about it, though. I don't know why a simple art change by someone can turn into such a catastrophe. What's the point of all this fighting?

Anyways, I do feel the same about the art, but I'm not going to repeat what everyone else said, I think Samario gets the point already.

5. Solar

Solar What? Member

I changed all of the Green Hill Zone

Hope this version will be better.

[​IMG]

Ps. I love to draw graphics in SonED 2 [​IMG]

6. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Dude! These keep getting better and better! Is it still going to be called GHZ? Because it really doesn't have the GHZ vibe. Looks more like a beach to me.

7. Jareth247

Jareth247 Well-Known Member Member

Love it, though I hope you put some thought into sprucing up the BG.

And it totally DOES have a beach vibe to it. Maybe call it something like "Viridian Shores" or "Coastal Cliff".

8. Solar

Solar What? Member

Will be done :p

Love it, though I hope you put some thought into sprucing up the BG.

And it totally DOES have a beach vibe to it. Maybe call it something like "Viridian Shores" or "Coastal Cliff".

Of course I have a new title will stick. And then on the Green Hill Zone is not at all similar. As you said this is similar to the beach or the Coast.

Oh yes, thank you Jareth247 Name Viridian Shores I really like =)

9. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

Wow, man. This is really appealing to the eye for me. :)

10. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I like the ground and the palmtrees, but the sea needs more variety (if you have enough free VRAM, of course).

11. Shockwave

Shockwave 3 Time Stones Member

Really liking the foreground, though I do agree that the background could have a bit more to it. But overall, it's nice to look at.

12. Samario

Samario Newcomer Trialist

You honestly really shouldn't jam final fantasy sprites in sonic. You even made the sprite look somehow worse. Sorry if I'm being mean or harsh, but it looks like you need to work on your spriting a bit because final fantasy has an open world overhead view so unless you make major edits it will look wrong. For example in your picture it looks as though the camera wants to be up higher looking down on her instead of her stance being more in the middle of the screen on the screen. There is also the issue of her standing straight instead of on the side or even better to fit sonic's style she should be facing kind of in between the side and center to show mostly one side of the face and a tiny bit of the other side and maybe the other arm. Finally there is the issue that many others have pointed out. The final fantasy style does not fit with Sonic the Hedgehog so you may need to find a sprite of sonic and heavily heavily edit it to both still look like her and also make it fit in with sonic. Note that final fantasy went for a realistic skinny style while sonic is very bright, cartoony and bulky.

actually, that's her waiting animation - normally, she DOES face left/right

13. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

I have no idea how my brain works. One day I have no interest in continuing Sonic hacking, then the next day I catch myself working on a layout for Labyrinth Zone.

[​IMG]

I also managed to make a background:

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think.

Now if only I weren't absolutely horrible at making custom art and layouts...

EDIT: A minor question: What is the object ID for the switch-operated doors in Labyrinth Zone?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Object ID $56.

Though I like the new background so far, I'm curious about how it looks paired with the current palette you have for LZ. One thing that strikes me as strange, is the 'arches' in the center; they don't seem to stylistically match the rest of the background. This is possibly because the bars and arches seem to have a thick black outlining, while everything else does not.

15. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

Wonder no more:

[​IMG]

(Note that I haven't modified the underwater palette yet. Also note that it is PNG.)

EDIT: New page is new.

Also, broken quotes are broken.

16. Shockwave

Just touch up the bars and arches a bit and you'll have something really nice. The glimpse of the layout you gave us looks like it'll be fun to play through as well.

I thought I'd go ahead and upload another set of screenshots of what I've been working on. Nothing too significant but it's worth looking at.

[​IMG]

Touched up act 1 palette and a shot of the Chaos Emerald object which actually works just like 8-bit Sonic 1 & 2,

[​IMG]

more of the water section from act 2 which now has the ripple effect from AIZ,

[​IMG]

slightly touched up act 3 palette, and for the last shot...

[​IMG]

Eggman in act 4 defeated by Super Sonic, who functions exactly as he always has, nothing special.

If you compare these to my first set of screens, you can tell that I'm not using dynamic palettes for Sonic anymore. It's just less of a hassle than it is to constantly change 4 different palettes whenever I want to edit something.

Anyways, thoughts, criticisms? 

17. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

That looks very promising! Water in GHZ, 4 acts, Super Sonic, Emerald object, all those edits, while not impossible at all, aren't trivial either, you definitely know what you're doing, so I look forward to see the final product!

18. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

a bit of my work.

[​IMG]

comments and criticisms?

EDIT: This is PNG format. =P

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  19. Shockwave

I really like the new palette. Then again, I'm also a sucker for the brightened, unsaturated look when it comes to grassy levels such as GHZ or MGZ. Layout makes it seem like it'll be really challenging, which is always welcome as long as its done sensibly. If you're not going for an extremely difficult hack then I would recommend lowering the amount of spikes just a bit.

20. Solar

Solar What? Member

You know, I thought I'd leave the MZ I put.

But thought it was too corny, and background of S3 already used in many hack"s. 

And it occurred to me to do it @_@

Name: Emerald Palace

[​IMG]

Need accurate criticism. Yes and I have run out of ideas.

Need help

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.