Sonic Random Hax

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by fdswerty, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

I am still working on this hack. It's main features are the music ports, the new layouts and the new art. I'm actually aware that the demo was hard and that it featured LZ as the first level, which ended on being a challenge, so many people didn't like that. I'm working on the full version, so far GHZ, MZ, and LZ are done.

Screenshots (Updated):

[​IMG]

^ Green Hill. Shows up some new layouts. Ignore debug mode, it's always enabled on my beta builds.

[​IMG]

^ Marble. New palette and some new layouts. Once again ignore the debug mode.

No point on showing you LZ. It's art or palette hasn't been changed. If you still want to see the screenshots, open the spoiler.

Current playlist:

Green Hill Act 1: Green Grove Act 1 - Sonic 3D

Green Hill Act 2: Green Grove Act 2 - Sonic 3D

Green Hill Act 3: Original Green Hill Song ~ Edited - Sonic 1

Green Hill Act 4: Azure Lake - Sonic 3

Labyrinth Act 1: Hydro City Act 1 - Sonic 3

Labyrinth Act 2: Hydro City Act 2 - Sonic 3

Labyrinth Act 3: Planet Undertow 2 ~ "Break Silence" - Ristar

Labyrinth Act 4: Mystic Cave 2P ~ Edited tempo - Sonic 2

Marble Act 1: Sakurabe Fight BGM 2 - The Hybrid Front

Marble Act 2: Rusty Ruin Act 1 - Sonic 3D

Marble Act 3: Rusty Ruin Act 2 - Sonic 3D

Marble Act 4: Marble Garden Act 2 - Sonic 3

Star Light Act 1: Rebellion Fight BGM 1 - The Hybrid Front

Star Light Act 2: Rebellion Fight BGM 2 - The Hybrid Front

Spring Yard Act 1: Electoria ~ *Placeholder Song* - Sonic Crackers

Spring Yard Act 2: Carnival Night Act 2 - Sonic 3

Scrap Brain Act 1: Death Egg Act 1 - Sonic & Knuckles

Scrap Brain Act 2: Death Egg Act 2 - Sonic & Knuckles

Final Zone: Doomsday - Sonic & Knuckles

Special Stage: Sonic 3 & Knuckles Special Stage theme

Features:

S3K PSG & Drums

New layouts

New art

Spindash

Peelout

and more stuff...

Credits are the same. They're on the old post (spoiler)

Okay, I've been working on this hack since I couldn't delete the entry I've reserved for the Sonic 1 i cancelled a few time ago. So after rushing this hack, I got to admit that it came out pretty well...

Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The three acts feature some kind of hard layout, with the act 3 being the most hard of them.

Features:

- S3K Drums & PSG's ported
    - Spindash
    - New art
    - Music ports
    - New layouts
    And other stuff I don't remember.

Playlist:

Labyrinth Zone Act 1: Hydrocity Zone act 1
    Labyrinth Zone Act 2: Hydrocity Zone act 2
    Labyrinth Zone Act 3: Planet Undertow 2 - Ristar (can't actually remember the name of the song...)
    Level clear theme: Ristar - Go Ahead

Credits:
    Nineko - For the guide to play different songs on different acts

Vladikcomper - For MegaPCM

Download Here

Suggestions & Feedback are appreciated :)

EDIT: fixed img tags

EDIT 2: Damn, realized I uploaded a rom with debug enabled. Fixed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
  2. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Can't try it out now, but those screenshots look wonderful. Only thing I can mention is Sonic's colors. You might want to edit Sonic's palette to match the more bluish water you've got going there. But this looks great so far!

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

When I first started playing, I got to the title card and thought "All right, OK, what crap am I playing now?", as you can no doubt tell, I didn't have high expectancies.

This isn't at all bad, dispite the lack of an air bubble and a few places that seem impossible to pass, I was surprised to see that presentation wise, the layout was pretty good. We've all heard the Hydro City music before, but I think this is the first time I've heard it used in a Sonic 1 hack, it's nice to hear different ports for a change. The art and colours are easy on the eyes and pleasant enough to look at, good going, I do find that the colour difference between outside and inside the water is much larger than I'm used to, I don't have a problem with it though, it's nice to see someone taking a different approach without messing it up.

I said before about the layouts being good presentation wise, but didn't mention gameplay wise, and that's because I think it stands as a matter of opinion, it's a challenging level to play, filled with a lot of difficulties, but nothing seems to be impossible, with enough practice I managed to get passed most of them.

In all honesty? It's a pretty fun hack, and definately worth playing for a challenge, well done!

4. GT Koopa

GT Koopa Well-Known Member Member

Is Act 3 supposed to be completable? There is a part where I kept going around in circles and underneath it a part that is impossible to get out of (too high to jump to to get back, tunnel forcing you the other direction, no choice but to die)

That said, I DID like the idea of the air monitors. Regular bubbles you have to wait for and even then they spawn at random times. Just pop a monitor, no waiting. Its one use also pushes you through the level, making the whole system faster than the underwater sonic stage staple.

5. fdswerty

Act 3 is completable. It's just a harder maze, and that's the intention of the level.

6. TheInvisibleSun

Found a bug. After hitting the signpost in Act 1, the Got Through card never popped up, and I got stuck underwater pushing the wall to the right of it, drowning. 

Regardless of that, this is very nice work, art wise! I love the way you used Labyrinth's palette cycles.

7. Jaypin

Jaypin Leader Of The Sapphire Squad Member

I kinda saw the same bug in labyrinth zone to but it still like palette color it's my favorite color and the sonic 3&k drums beat

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
  8. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Please do not just go round posting 3 word posts. We will review your 20 posts, and if we see lots of these, you won't get far. Make your posts more detailed and post when you actually have something good to say. There's no rush to get 20 posts.

9. fdswerty

OK-- What's your point with this? Your post doesn't help at all... hell, you can even play the hack, rather than saying that the screenshots are awesome, could you atleast give some constructive criticism or at least give some suggestions?

edit: seems like my post was edited.. fixed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  10. fdswerty

Doublepost & Bump. Anyways, I've got a reason to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgcfsaeOwkA

Enjoy. Comments & Feedback are welcome.

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I have a rather mixed opinion about this, I'll start by saying that it feels pretty empty in places, and I have noticed the lack of enemies, on the bright side though, you've put chunks together more or less OK, and the object placement in general is pretty nifty, for example, at 1:15, using the large green tubes as platforms, I really like that, because although the green tubes were technically not designed for platforming, you've used it for just that, and it doesn't feel out of place.

I do also like the music and the general few spots of Marble Garden Zone art, but no matter how much I try, I just cannot get the idea of Dark Fortress out of my head...

12. TheInvisibleSun

Love the new palette; it gives a more 'desert like' vibe to the stage. It's great that you contrasted the dry, flatter, tan color with the various moments of the more striking and vivid greens and blues (not to mention the already vibrant lava). Though I like the music choices a lot, I'm personally kind of a sucker for Act 2/3 tracks that sort of remix the preceding Act's track. What if you made a remix of the first track for act 2? This would certainly give a sense of progression and continuity within the Zone.

13. fdswerty

Relase of demo v.0.7d, where you're able to play GHZ, LZ, and MZ.

Features of the game are the same as in the ones in the first post, but meh.

Some screenshots;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the download

Enjoy!

Level select is enabled, but its only limited to the demo levels.

EDIT: Fixed link, didn't realize it was the same as the LZ demo...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
  14. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

The download link you provided links to a file without an extension. If I download it and add a .bin extension, it will run in Kega but it's the same as the hacking contest build.

15. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

16. fdswerty

Fixed the link, I was in a hurry when I posted this. Sorry about this.

17. ScoutCDTen

ScoutCDTen Newcomer Trialist

Nice hack,i really like the LZ art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.