Sonic Hacking Contest 2014

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Spanner, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Contest Week taking place Monday 18th August to Sunday 24th August

The deadline for entries to be updated is now over. Now, the judges will review all the submitted entries in the contest.

You may notice there's a wait between the deadline expiring and the public availability of hacks. This is for two reasons. First, this allows the judges a good amount of time (well over a week) to go through the entries, review them and allocate trophies - this generally takes more than a week and in the past nothing has been finalised until the weekend of the Contest Week. Each judge will nominate a entry for whatever trophies they feel deserves it - the trophy is allocated through majority vote. There are measures in place to deal with ties.

Secondly, one of the biggest features of the Contest Week are the live streams and reviews that will be done by a number of people such as SomeCallMeJohnny, MegaGWolf, Cobanermani456, Geek Critique, Tails' Channel and Sega Retro Channel. Right now, there is a big charity streaming event going on that some people are involved in, which goes into next week as well. To allow the Media Panel to go through the hacks and prepare for reviews and live streams in advance (which some will obviously be recorded and published during the Contest Week), we decided not to have it go on during the charity event, otherwise the Contest Week would have been earlier. There will be other events going on during the week, but these will be announced later on.

So this should clear up any issues some people have had such as thinking that the entries will now be public when in actual fact they aren't until the 18th.

2. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

*Sigh*... and now I cry a little inside as I realised I submitted the wrong hack at the last minute. Ah well, if my PC didn't "conveniently" die this week maybe things would have been different. I think somone's trying to tell me something, regardless, will be looking forward to the hacks. Good luck people!.

3. Stardust Gear

Stardust Gear A Programmer Member

I missed the deadline and not updated my hack and screenshots, but I am going to SFGDK.

I will see my results later.

4. Giga

Giga Newcomer Member

Sonic 2 Omochao edition

As if the first one isn't enough

5. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Omochao says: You started Spindashing!

Omochao says: You charged up your Spindash!

Omochao says: You released your Spindash!

6. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

Omochao says: Did you know you can press any of the action buttons to jump?

On a serious note, a lot of these names look pretty fascinating, and I can't wait to play 'em all. (ESPECIALLY Sonic the Very Useful Engine)

7. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Shadow Fire has dropped out of being a judge.

A replacement judge has been recruited, and the judge will be making a post about it later. Let's just say this person used to be a judge before.

8. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

New judge: Ayla, Dude or MarkeyJester? The most difficult question of a day.

9. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I did wonder about ShadowFire as I haven't heard from him in a while. And he's quite inactive here too. Anyway, glad you found a replacement quickly, especially when the contest is literally around the corner.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  10. DwhitetheGamer

DwhitetheGamer You got a serious fight in your hands. Member

This is gonna be fun.  I suggest subbing to the folks mentioned by Spanner to keep up with the fun.  I know I am!

11. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    I'm gonna assume you missed that announcement I made a few days back that announced said media panel that had hyper links to each of the Media Panel members then =P

12. LooneyDude

LooneyDude Back after a long absence! Member

Well, it's almost here. Sonic Hacking Contest 2014.

Why am I so anxious for this event? Because some Sonic hackers call this their holiday, since we're rewarded with some of the best hacks ever, and to others, it's a family reunion, as the judges, who mostly all know each other, get together and discuss what is the best in what way. We get to see magic before our eyes with great names making great games, and putting forth their knowledge and experience towards their entry. They put the love and care that earns them the trophies they truly deserve. We also get to see emerging hackers, showing off what they can contribute to the hacking scene. And the YouTube videos show people sharing the enjoyment I have when playing these hacks. Truly, this is magic. Truly, this is amazing. Truly, this is...

The Sonic Hacking Contest.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  13. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

In a few hours time, the public will be able to download the entries, play them and vote in the Community Trophies. Here are the streams for Day 1 of the Contest Week:

● 11am EDT / 4pm BST until 2pm EDT / 7pm BST - SomecallmeJohnny Stream

● 2pm EDT / 7pm BST until 4pm EDT / 9pm BST - Spanner Stream

● 4pm EDT / 9pm BST until 7pm EDT / 12am BST - MegaGWolf Stream

● 8pm EDT / 1am BST to 9pm EDT / 2am BST - Radio Rev

14. EasterBanana

EasterBanana Newcomer Trialist

a few hours, and the fun begins.

15. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Soon, an outdated version of my shitty noobish hack will be shown to the world. Then, just maybe, I could die with at least that little bit of satisfaction.

Or it'll piss everyone off, generate loads of hate, and get me shit tons of spam. Isn't the internet wonderful?

16. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

I am pleased to announce the contest week is now live! All public and partial-private entries are viewable, the Stream page is complete and working, and Voting once you are logged in on Community Trophies is a-go!

I'll save all the usual gumpf about how long it took to get everything ready, all the teamwork that went in to organising things for this, blah blah blah, and just say, have fun. :U

17. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Finally this long awaited day has arrived!

18. DwhitetheGamer

DwhitetheGamer You got a serious fight in your hands. Member

I didn't.  I just did a quick reminder.  Anyways, this is where the fun begins.

19. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Well all I can say is, if people can download my hack then DON'T play it. Unless you want to play vanilla Sonic 1.

20. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

What? Did you really upload that accidently? =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.