Music IDs

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by TheHated, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheHated

TheHated Newcomer Exiled

Hi everyone! Me again!

I'm going back to basics and making a Sonic 1 hack, and I want to put Hydrocity Zone: Act 1 as the Green Hill theme. However, I can't find the sound locations for Sonic 1.

If anyone could give me an outline of the songs, that would mean a great help.

It should be noted I'm using ESEII Sound Importer.

From, That 13 year-old idiot, with love,

Josef Master.  :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
  2. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I don't understand your question. If all you want to do is to use another song in Green Hill Zone, you only need to replace music81.bin with another file in Sonic 1 SMPS format. Things get more complex if you want to use different songs in different acts, but if you don't want to do that, replacing that one file will be enough. Of course you can't just slap Hydrocity's binary file in there as it is, since it's in Sonic 3 SMPS format. You'll have to deal with it in one of the various ways suggested in the past on this forum.

3. TheHated

TheHated Newcomer Exiled

I'm not using a dissasembly.

4. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

Then why aren't you using one, then? Hacking using a disassembly is far more easier rather than editing the ROM directly, you can do more stuff with it, and there's more powerful tools to use with disassemblies rather than the ones to directly edit the ROM.

EDIT: Fixed some grammar.

5. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Really? Dude, they're really simple to use. Most come with pre-disassembled ROMs anyhow. Don't you have to disassemble the save state first in ESEII anyway? Not bashing ESEII, but modern dissemblies are much better.  

6. TheHated

TheHated Newcomer Exiled

I don't know about the ESEII Sound editor...

But in ESEII you don't have to.

7. nineko

Please note that things really are harder if you don't use a disassembly. You *can* overwrite Green Hill Zone's music directly in the ROM, but if the new song is longer (in bytes) than the older one you will overwrite the following songs, effectively destroying the game. You can shift all the other songs as well of course, but you'd have to alter all the pointers, not to mention that there is something else after the songs, and so on. Unless you move that song to the bottom of the ROM (like SonED1 does with layouts in Sonic 2), but you'd end up with something HORRIBLE.

Think about it, right now you're struggling, looking for pointers and not being able to do a simple song replacement. With a disassembly you would already be done since all it takes is to replace ONE FILE, you don't even need hacking tools for that, just a Windows Explorer window if you don't like command prompts either.

So yeah go get the 2006 Hivebrain disassembly and get wild.

8. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

No wonder why you were having trouble with the music before...

Anyways, please go for the disassembly. Get Notepad++ and the 68000 highlighter on Sonic Retro and then learn the basics of the 68000 assembly code, then you'll be all set. Seriously, ESEII is good and all, but it is old news, please keep up with everyone, and you won't get as confused as much. Here is how to set up a Sonic 1 disassembly. Here is SMPSConv, which can convert S3K songs into Sonic 1 and vice versa. Music locations are here: http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG:Music_Hacking/Other_Games_and_Data_Locations

EVERYONE is budging you to get a disassembly, because it is truly much easier to understand and edit. So please listen to everyone. There will be tons of guides and lots of help from people and they will all involve disassemblies.

9. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Otherwise, if you want to stick to hex editing (if you do that or whatever), go to location 000745DC. If you're starting a disassembly instead, you can still save the section you edited in a file and replace it with GHZ's music (which I think is music81.bin). If you're interested in hex editing music for Sonic 1, take a look at MarkeyJester's SMPS Guide: http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2026&hl=

It's rather user-friendly. Otherwise, stick with what everyone else suggests if not.

10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Good eye Dandaman, I'm rather pleased that you know that information, well done, have a thumbs up!

For REV 00, the offset location 71A9C is where the pointers are:

[​IMG]

As you can see, 000745DC is 81 (GHZ), 00074D44 is 82 (LZ), 00075194 is 83 (MZ), etc. If the new track doesn't fit, then you can change the pointer to 00080000, and put the music there (it's at the end of the ROM so you'll have plenty of space).

11. nineko

I might as well unveil a small secret to everyone, then. The best part about all this is that I didn't have a disassembly when I wrote xm2smps, either, so I actually wrote a small program which overwrites the GHZ music in-ROM (without caring about the other songs since it was only for testing), so even if I discouraged him from doing that because disassemblies are a much better approach I actually did that myself :3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.