Sonic Zoom!

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by LooneyDude, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJaftershock

DJaftershock TWO-DEE-ECKS-GOLD Member

Well, just saying. It looked like it missed half the frames.

2. LooneyDude

LooneyDude Back after a long absence! Member

• Which ones? The volcano surface, or the moving platforms (because I didn't start on the moving ones yet)?
    • I just made them so small to show surprise, and to resemble the Game Gear version of Sonic the Hedgehog's death sprite, since I found it funny when I was younger.
    • Yeah, I know. I'll probably change it once I start on the zone itself. I'm saving it for last to be the magnum opus of the game.
    • Yeah. It'll start with that section, but when you beat the boss, I might add a twist.
    • I made the animation faster so it would look more fluent. Or some frames might have a misplaced position (same with the rotating animation when you enter the current tunnel in Crystal Cave Zone).
    • Thank you. And I can agree getting to Special Stages in Sonic games is tough. Having to save your rings and slow down isn't as fun as blasting through levels, and I may change the Special Stage entry in this hack, but maybe not.
    For a name, how about I call this hack Sonic Zoom?

3. DJaftershock

DJaftershock TWO-DEE-ECKS-GOLD Member

The volcano surface. Kind of an eyesore.

4. XtremerSadiqX

XtremerSadiqX Burning Way Past Cool Member

Nice hack, but halfway through act 2 of Green Hill or whatever you renamed it, after I pause for a while it changed from Bob-Omb Battlefield to some slow song, I don't know what it's called. Was this intentional? And on the topic of music ,is Marble Zone a mashup between the DOOM theme and Mecha Green Hill from Sonic Chaos?

Also, I got a game breaking error when I got to the Star Light boss

EDIT: Nevermind, it changed back. The midi you used probably had the Piranha Plants Lullaby on it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  5. LooneyDude

Yeah, it did. And yes, it's a mashup between those songs. It was made by nineko, the person with the Kamineko icon.

Anyways, I've been working on something else along with this hack (and another, yeesh), so there may not be very frequent updates.

6. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

The mashup is actually between Mecha Green Hills and the "Theme Of Zero", but I can't (and I won't) claim sole credit for it, as I only converted a MIDI excellently arranged by King Meteor. Trivia: for whatever reason, that MIDI spells "hilll" with 3 Ls, and I retained that name in my conversion, as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  7. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

This hack is absolutely adorable! I love the graphic style! It also fits very well with the music and gameplay, giving the game a distinctive theme of its own (something many good, official, company backed games often struggle to do). The gameplay is amazing (at least for the first two zones), and I love the edits to the prexisting objects. As for the special stages, I don't know what you did to the engine, but it makes it feel even trippier then before, and I wuv it :3. The first special stage layout was pretty good, and was really entertaining to play. My only issue is this:

This area in the begining of act 2 looks like a wall, but you need to go through here to get to next part of the level. Perhaps you should put an object over the gap (like a platform) to clarify that you can jump back there.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
  8. Professor Neo

Professor Neo Well-Known Member Member

LooneyDude, I love the special stages! What you did with the BG and the BG palette looks very pleasing to the eye! The purple in the birds and fish fits very well, and the stars replacing the clouds worked well too. And the music sounded great for a special stage.

I played all six stages and didn't even have to use Debug Mode. Object placement was very decent, but be careful where you place bumpers--I got stuck a few times due to some of them being two spaces from the walls, which is too close to any other solid object. If you're gonna place solid objects in open areas of paths, place them at least 3 spaces away from the walls on all sides because Sonic can't pass through those tiny gaps.

You amped up the challenge by making each stage rotate fast throughout play--nice job! It's a good thing you blocked off the Goal traps since I was navigating really long paths which led me toward dead ends cause I would have blindly fell into those wide Goal traps. One Goal trap in stage 5 was very wide and nearly inescapable--that one I ran into during a test run.

Stage 6 could've looked a little bigger and better. 90% of the stage's walls were completely lined with sealed-off Goal blocks, and learning that there were only 93 rings in the stage, I could've been better served just taking 50-60 rings and running off with the emerald, minimizing the threat of exposing the Goal blocks, especially on the corners. Also, don't cramp so many objects in a single area because it'll cause slowdown and VRAM glitching. Making the layout larger and a little more spacious [and less clustered] minimizes the said complications.

Overall, excellent job on the layout designs. :good:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  9. KingofHarts

KingofHarts Well-Known Member Member

I did that in my hack, too, so I disagree with you.

I don't use it for GOAL, but I do use it for a Time Up... so I kinda disagree with you too, TIMT.

10. Pacca

I played the hack all the way through, and thought i should add some more notes:

I'm not a fan off SYZ's current graphics (although i can tell you're in the process of changing them)

LZ is my favorite zone in the hack, despite its incompleteness. I could listen to that theme for hours...

The other special stages were wonderful, and even more fun than the first (a bit on the easy side, though)

I think scrap brain zones new theme fits it rather well (can't wait to see what the graphics look like!)

The final boss is great, but the ending scene as been broken up by GHZ's new chunks (the ending sequence still works, though)

I love this hack so far, and I can't wait to see more!

11. LooneyDude

Thank you all for the positive feedback! I thought of a title I might use: Sonic Zoom.

Anyways, it's been a while since I worked on it, but I'll try to get some more development in soon.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know a good Sonic 1 title screen editor? I want to get some work done on the emblem and logo.

EDIT: Whoops, I already announced the name.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
  12. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

13. LooneyDude

Thanks! I think I tried it before, but I'll give it another go.

14. LooneyDude

[​IMG]

Still a W.I.P., but here's what I have so far.

I know the logo's kinda crappy, but I spent so long getting it not to keep reusing the tiles I don't want. I couldn't even get the word ZOOM to not have reused tiles, or I'd need to make the Z look like a 7. I can't edit the tile placement because I tried PlaneEd, and like always, it wouldn't work.

15. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

quite nifty, especially Volcanoes in MZ.

SLZ - spun through act 2.

noticed MZ, LZ were still unfinished

Glitched at SLZ Boss (Regen)

You've used Zero's theme from MMX, well done.

16. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

EDIT: post deleted trash this.

17. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

Here, would you mind PM'ing me with the problem? I'll see what may be wrong.

18. LooneyDude

New release!

With features like:

• The name, Sonic Zoom, is official!
    • New title screen (almost done!)
    • New music in some places
    • Graphical clean-up in Crystal Cave Zone
    • Started work on Molten Madness Zone Act 2
    • Possibly other stuff that I forgot to mention
    Enjoy! https://www.dropbox.com/s/ur4ysavpyjxv2r6/Sonic%20Zoom.bin?dl=1

19. ProRunner

ProRunner Newcomer Member

I load the ROM and I get a blank red screen. It happened on Fusion and Gens. 

20. Pacca

I got a red screen too. I thought it was because I was using a fishy emulator, though :/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.