Sonic The Hedgehog 2 & Knuckles

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by DiscoTheBat, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiscoTheBat

DiscoTheBat Newcomer Exiled

Well, it's an old project of mine but only recently I've been working on making it solid and such, I called the project (and the hack) Sonic The Hedgehog 2 & Knuckles, this project consists in the S3k's engine, playing the Sonic 2 levels.

For that, I've tweaked the engine slightly, adding new stuff, optimizing stuff enough and so on. This is more like a Proof-of-concept hack since I plan to use different methods of making better use of S3K system rather than simply connecting them with the general stuff, for example, the S2 special stage is revamped to make use of S3K V_Int system and KosM art, thus enhancing loading times quite a lot and not just that but making those stages slightly smoother for the player.

My plans for this hack is nothing more but optimize and tweak engine enough to allow for customized settings that allows the hacker to fully use the properties of S3K engine, not just by the speed it offers but at the same time the freedom the programmer have to apply in their projects as well.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Currently, the hack is at a very slow development rate but so far, it includes several Sonic 2 elements in it plus S3K ones. I may post videos and/or images when time allows but for now, just a small glimpse of the project. Kudos!

2. Smellycupcakes

Smellycupcakes Newcomer In Limbo

Looks pretty interesting! i shall bookmark this on my browser just in case... i look pretty much foward into it

don't rush it though... just make sure its very clean and gets the interest of people here.

pootis logging off

3. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

No download, *closing topic*. Looks pretty good. Eggman is replaced by Eggrobo... Really looks like Sonic 3, but it's Sonic 2. I'll wait this until its release. Good luck with hack.
    P.S. Sonic 2 in S3K engine... Hmm... Wait what?!

4. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

Sonic 2: S3 Edition uses Sonic 2 as a base, iirc. This seems to use Sonic 3K as its base.

5. DiscoTheBat

DiscoTheBat Newcomer Exiled

Thanks for the comments, I have to clarify that this hack uses S3K as engine as opposed to Sonic 2: S3 Edition and when I started this hack, it wasn't even released, I just haven't had time to work on it, by the time I got to work with the new engine, all I had was an empty Emerald Hill Zone with collision issues, I don't recall myself correctly but the oldest date on my folder in old HD dates back to 2006, I was quite novice in ASM but I had big plans for this one, I had a parallel work with S2 engine but I dropped it in favour of S3K engine.

Anyway, I got some new images of my works including a very incomplete artbox, like I said, I don't have time to work on it so it's pretty much bland.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just a thing, I got in a quite of issues here, the hack is kinda frozen for the time being, once I sort it out, I may retake it's development, nevertheless, a demo WILL come out as soon I have time to work on it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm working on Day/Night transition on those levels as well, I have this picture as sole example.

[​IMG]

Kudos!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  6. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

Good work! You really have big plans for this. Waiting for the demo. ;)

7. Giga

Giga Newcomer Member

I am liking what seeing so far I can't wait to see the final product

8. Janus

Janus Newcomer Trialist

how many stages will have? Will be lost zones?

good work

9. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

This looks amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product! If you pull this off well it could be just as fun to play as sonic classic heroes! But what will trigger the Day/night transitions? Will the aforementioned feature affect the gameplay?

10. DwhitetheGamer

DwhitetheGamer You got a serious fight in your hands. Member

Pacguy:  I could be wrong, but I guess it's a progression, meaning the Day/Night transitions only work as you progress through the stages.  OR, you hit a monitor that changes the daytime into the nighttime and vice versa.

11. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    It's not impossible to change level palettes in the middle of a level you know =P S3K does it a few times, and the MCZ boss trigger loads a subtly modified palette. Time transitions in a level isn't impossible, just rarely seen.

12. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

I remember the 30 Day Challenge did the transition mid-level in Sonic 1. Too bad that hack has dropped off the face of the Earth.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.