LZ and SBZ Slowdown

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by ProjectFM, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

In my Sonic 1 hack, whenever I play Labyrinth Zone or Scrab Brain Zone Act 1, there are certain points where the game will slow down to only going a frame per 5 seconds.The music still plays at normal speed but everything else will barely move. These spots are always in the same place and effect you no matter what y-axis you're on. I haven't changed the layouts. I only editted the pallette of Labyrinth Zone and added the REV01 backgrounds. Do you know what could be causing it and how it can be fixed? I use the Hivebrain 2005 disassembly.

2. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

In general, the game tends to lag when too many objects are placed in one area, which understandably slows things down. Try editing the object layouts to fix this. As for labyrinth zone, did you add the S1 rev 01 effect? If so, there are ways to speed that up, too; there's a page on that somewhere on SSRG (I believe it was first posted by selbi)

3. DemonFox

DemonFox Newcomer Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

If you haven't changed the layout, and have done nothing to provoke the slow down (such as losing a lot of rings), and all that's edited is the palette and altered revision effects. Then I'd say the only thing able to slow it down, is if you altered the revision effects incorrectly.

That's all I can think of... (Unless you're exaggerating about the slow down d=)

5. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

How come no one mentioned the bubbles? If too many bubbles come out of Sonic, the game slows down, especially in vertical platforming areas. It does this in Sonic 2 as well. Prune that, and it should help a bit.

6. ProjectFM

Thanks for all these tips! I will try them when I get the chance to. Also, in Labyrinth Zone, the moving platforms are in a different place making it impossible to get to some parts. Does anyone know a way to fix that?

7. ProjectFM

I tried Markey's optimization guide but it still didn't fix the slowdown. Also, I can't do the S3K priority thing because it uses files that aren't in my disassembly like constants.asm and displaysprite.asm and, as stated, you need a lot of time to do step 4. Does anyone have any other ideas?

8. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Those are the only suggestions. S3K's priority will optimize a lot of the slowdown, probably one of the most effective ways.

9. ProjectFM

But I don't think it will work with the Hivebrain 2005 disassembly. Is there anyway it can be done without those files? If not, I guess I will have live with it. Maybe when I get around to changing Labyrinth and Scrap Brain Zone's layout, the new layout will stop the slowdown. If that doesn't work either, I guess I'll try asking again.

10. KingofHarts

KingofHarts Well-Known Member Member

I don't see why the priority manager cannot be ported to Hivebrain disasm... it's essentially Sonic 1 without bells and whistles, and I was able to port it to Sonic 1 just fine...

11. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

He just thinks that the code in the Git disasm doesn't exist in the Hivebrain disasm. He doesn't know that that data was split from Sonic1.asm.

12. ProjectFM

It doesn't matter anymore. I'm working on a new hack.

13. KingofHarts

KingofHarts Well-Known Member Member

Did you at least TRY to tackle what you set out to do when you created this topic in the first place?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.