New Sonic 1 Hack! Doesn't have a name yet...

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Mr Antisocial, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Antisocial

Mr Antisocial Newcomer Trialist

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new here (I joined yesterday), but I wanted to show off a hack of Sonic 1 I've been working on! (It's still a WIP)

/monthly_11_2014/post-3409-0-56781500-1416169967_thumb.jpg

Here's just the title screen, it's relatively unchanged (except push start message displaying)

/monthly_11_2014/post-3409-0-29510500-1416170046_thumb.jpg

My hack features a more modern looking Sonic, I've added an ability to him: a simple jumpdash (wanted to make a homing attack, but this was the best I got so far.)

/monthly_11_2014/post-3409-0-83031200-1416170172_thumb.jpg

Here's one of his running sprites, I based it off of the figure 8 technique in Sonic Lost World.

/monthly_11_2014/post-3409-0-77813100-1416170326_thumb.jpg

I ported the Sonic 2 spindash! I'm still working on it (add the dust, port the sound) but the physics and sprites are present.

/monthly_11_2014/post-3409-0-22410800-1416170415_thumb.jpg

Here's the goalpost/results screen.

/monthly_11_2014/post-3409-0-84742100-1416170510_thumb.jpg

Here is the ending sprite.

/monthly_11_2014/post-3409-0-06370500-1416170642_thumb.jpg

Look who it is! Mighty the Armadillo! He is in very early stages currently, as you can see his life icon still says "SONIC" same with the picture. You can select him by pressing B at the title screen.

/monthly_11_2014/post-3409-0-90984700-1416170742_thumb.jpg

There is Mighty's run sprite, made it more classic, but arms still stick out.

-I have also removed some bugs and glitches, like the spike bug (now you don't get insta-killed on spikes), improved fading colors,etc.

-I'm going to add a splashscreen soon

-I plan on changing level layout and palette

-Want to give Mighty a few unique moves, he's just a spriteswap of Sonic right now

-Give Mighty his own palette

-Now, this may be a longshot, but I wanted to port Super Sonic as well (no idea how to do so, but fine if not included)

-Give Mighty his own life icon, change "SONIC HAS PASSED ACT 1" to "MIGHTY HAS PASSED ACT 1" and give Mighty his own goalpost sprite (Having a bit of trouble with it.)

EDIT:

November 22, 2014

I've ported Super Sonic (finally), nothing special though, since he doesn't "look" Super. After a week or so, I got the code and palettes to build properly, so I've got a Super Sonic port, just need to add Super Sonic graphics. Also, Mighty can also go super, however, he does not change color, since his shell is also his shoe color. His transformation animation is the leftover leap animation never used in the actual game.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I like this so far, the sprites are rather nice.

Keep it up!

3. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I'm glad to see another new hacker who's willing to put effort into what they put out. I'm excited to see what it will become as your skills improve!

4. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Really starting to regret picking that sprite sheet for my hack now that I'm seeing it literally everywhere now.

Otherwise there's promise, so keep at it, I suppose! Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  5. Mr Antisocial

I'm sorry, I actually didn't know, I stumbled upon the spritesheet while on the internet. I used a LOT of inspiration from it (Using exact same sprites at certain points)

But I modified most of them. For Mighty, I took the same sprites as Sonic, but made it black, removed the spikes and added the shell, although some of Mighty's sprites are custom.

6. Shockwave

Shockwave 3 Time Stones Member

Reasons like this are why I usually opt to do my own sprite work, although I understand that not everyone wants to do that, and it does become rather time consuming.

My opinion is pretty much the same as everyone else's so far. Everything looks good, especially those screenshots of Mighty. Looking forward to seeing more.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  7. Stardust

Stardust [screams in cat] Member

Why not call this hack: Sonic & Mighty: Chaos on South Island?

8. Mr Antisocial

You know what? I like this name, we might have a winner! If you'd like, I could credit you for the name. Because I think I'll use it! I was always terrible at naming hacks.

9. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

You can just name it "Sonic & Mighty Team-Up" or "Sonic 1: Mighty Returns" (rip-off from Sonic 2: Return of Shadow), etc.

10. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Mighty Returns, Return of Shadow, Robotnik Returns...

I think we've hit a new dead end for creative hack titles XD

11. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

I agree, but the name isn't important, but that the hack may have a good content.

12. Stardust

Stardust [screams in cat] Member

You know what? I like this name, we might have a winner! If you'd like, I could credit you for the name. Because I think I'll use it! I was always terrible at naming hacks. Sure, you can credit me in the *sunglasses* credits. YEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.