General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

Love what you've got going there. Hard to choose between the two, both look great.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
  2. Guest

I would say go with the second one but at the same time, the yellow in the first one makes it look a bit more colorfull as if there are city lights radiating from behind those buildings. I also think that you should try cinossu's idea too in trying to combine them somehow.

3. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

I too, prefer the yellow.

Also, Shard's gonna be in the hack? Can you explain what his purpose is gonna be?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
  4. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Blue/purple palette looks better. Yellow one looks gaudy as fuck.

5. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

As a static palette, I prefer the blue. However, the yellow one isn't completely bad as it suggests the idea of hidden lights illuminating the place.

Cinossu's idea isn't a bad one, either.

6. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

I like blue pallete more than yellow, yellow looks ugly for my eyes.

7. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I'd say pick the blue version, but make the background a little bit lighter.  It's just too dark for my liking.

8. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

I think, if possible, you add bits of yellow where lights would be whilst keeping the blue background. I think it could be a pretty neat effect. :sungum:

9. Shockwave

Shockwave 3 Time Stones Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm seeing more preference towards the blue palette, so I may go ahead and use that, but...

...this certainly isn't a bad idea, in fact it's a pretty damn good one. I may try to actually make it into something.

He'll be a boss fight for Sonic, but I want to also make him playable in the future.

10. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

I reworked my GGZ art a bit.

[​IMG]

(screen is from Classic Mode)

Thanks to Shockwave for the 4 numeber.

C&C welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  11. LooneyDude

LooneyDude Back after a long absence! Member

That's good, but try to avoid pillow shading.

12. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

That actually isn't pillow shading. Pillow shading is when a constant but relatively flat flow of color is applied on BOTH sides (top and bottom, left side and right side, etc). It could be referred to as over-anti-aliasing, which is in no way what Painto did here. Pillow shading looks flat. This does not look flat.

Painto, I am liking what you did here.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  13. LooneyDude

LooneyDude Back after a long absence! Member

I was referring to the background mountains.

14. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

That's not necessarily pillow shading either...though I will agree they do seem a bit flat. Then again, maybe that's what Painto was going for. You never know =P

15. Hitaxas

Hitaxas Retro 80's themed Paladins Twich streamer Member

So my hack is still under works. Here is a mockup of how the first zone will look, so far.

[​IMG]

16. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

It looks great! You know a hack is good when you can't tell whether its based off of sonic 1 or 2. There's one thing that irks me, though. Your Sonic sprite has a black outline, which just doesn't look right to me.

17. Deadalive

Deadalive Newcomer Trialist

This is something I have been working on for a while. The hack idea is that Sonic revisits S1 levels and you see how these have changed, for instance Marble Zone is even more destroyed. Background is untouched and upper right blocks and vines are WIP. No idea if I will ever finish this because of the work involved.[​IMG]

18. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

This looks great! The idea is pretty good for a first hack, too! Keep it up :D

19. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Beautiful art. I believe the sonic's art is a mix of S1 with S3 sprites, pretty creative.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
  20. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Okay so whilst I've pretty much been running the Hacking Contest for some years now I pretty much stopped doing hacking myself. I did some music work on Sonic Boom, Sonic ERaZor amongst other stuff but that was years ago, I've fallen behind so much that many people can actually surpass my work nowadays. So I thought it's time to try and work on something myself, which is being called Sonic Excursion. The basic concept is that you play as three characters (Sonic, Tails and Knuckles) who have their own individual acts with bosses being split up between characters so only one will get a particular level boss but another will get another etc.

I haven't done any level art at all, it just wasn't my thing. And unfortunately, nowadays pretty much every hack demands it, so the only thing I can really do is mix up various pieces of artwork from other levels and try and make something else up.

[​IMG]

This is Morning Wood Zone (or as it's called now - Isolated Oak Zone), at least a mockup of it. The palette hasn't been fixed and I'm aware that there could be some shadows put in. I'm probably going to end up getting someone to help me clean it up.

Will I submit to my own contest and let the other judges look at it? Possibly. Will I actually finish this level? Probably not.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.